Corsair Community

Corsair One a200 - Limited fan control after updating to Windows 21H1

jtompkinsx

After being prompted to update to Windows 21H2 today, my brand-new a200 seems to have lost its ability to control its fans. When the fan control in iCue is set to "Default", which worked properly before the update, the fans now to not turn on until the system seems to believe the CPU or GPU are in danger of overheating, after which the fans are turned on to maximum; once the temps are out of the danger zone, the fan immediately ramps down to 0%. As you might expect, this leads to a sawtoothed temperature curve which I worry will be very unhealthy for the system.

I can set a custom fan profile. The UI seems to indicate that custom profiles effectively define a minimum fan speed, and the system will ramp up fan speed when necessary. I do not find this to be the case - when the CPU or GPU are under load with the custom profile selected, the fans stay at the profile-defined minimum until again, the system becomes in danger of overheating.

The only fan control that seems to work is the "extreme" profile, which is very loud.

It's unclear to me whether this is a hardware issue, an iCue issue, a Windows issue, or some combination of all three, but my feeling, based on the fact that everything worked perfectly pre-Windows upgrade, is that this has something to do with either Windows or iCue.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and been able to resolve it?

This afternoon I attempted to uninstall the 21H1 update, in the hopes that the original behavior would be restored. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I started a game and watched the CPU temperature climb well above 90 degrees C; at that point the fans went into "emergency mode", the lights flashed red, and the system cooled itself. As soon as the temps started to drop, the fan immediately dropped back to 0 RPMs.

This is, obviously, really unfortunate. Right now I'm trying to manage the fans manually. This was a very expensive computer and I like(d) it a lot. I DO NOT want to return it, but I would really like to understand how to fix this issue.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jtompkinsx said:

This afternoon I attempted to uninstall the 21H1 update, in the hopes that the original behavior would be restored. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I started a game and watched the CPU temperature climb well above 90 degrees C; at that point the fans went into "emergency mode", the lights flashed red, and the system cooled itself. As soon as the temps started to drop, the fan immediately dropped back to 0 RPMs.

This is, obviously, really unfortunate. Right now I'm trying to manage the fans manually. This was a very expensive computer and I like(d) it a lot. I DO NOT want to return it, but I would really like to understand how to fix this issue.

Actually, I think maybe a mannual set of 60% fixed fan rpm is similar to the behaviour of default behaviour.

Welcome to CORSAIR ONE and ICUE BEST SOFTWARE EVER ! i just manage to replace my NVME and HDD by better one and still get problem cooling and then this window update make my top fan not responding at all.

Last time on a previous Windows 10 build i succed to make it work again by cleaning every single fils from ICUE 3 and 4 and reinstall a ICUE 4.

But it is fucked again...

For the time being, I suggest to connect the top fan directly to one of the motherboard's fan headers. This way at least you will be able to set your own fan curve based on CPU temps in BIOS. You will need at least a 30cm PWM fan power extension cable. I did this at one point with mine (2017 model) and it worked fine with no issues (now it's back with its stock liquid cooler). The only thing is that the fan will no longer react to GPU temps; only CPU temps, but it should be good because there will still be enough airflow. 

11 hours ago, EchoSierra said:

For the time being, I suggest to connect the top fan directly to one of the motherboard's fan headers. This way at least you will be able to set your own fan curve based on CPU temps in BIOS. You will need at least a 30cm PWM fan power extension cable. I did this at one point with mine (2017 model) and it worked fine with no issues (now it's back with its stock liquid cooler). The only thing is that the fan will no longer react to GPU temps; only CPU temps, but it should be good because there will still be enough airflow. 

Were you eventually able to make some change to get iCue to control the fan properly again?

My system actually had a custom version of Corsair Link software (I have the 2017 model). Back then, they used it to control pump and fan speeds; not iCUE. I was simply experimenting with connecting the fan to the motherboard because the software also stopped working properly after a major win10 update. I ran it like that for a while until I realised they had updated link to be compatible with the win10 update. Once I updated corsair link, I reverted back to stock and it all runs fine. In the case of the newer Corsair ONE models (2019 and 2021), I am not sure what the problem is with iCUE. It does sound like it is a compatibility issue and Corsair should be updating iCUE in line with win10 updates. Try and do what  Kookla2 did and perform a clean uninstall of iCUE (including registry entries), and then reinstall it and see if it works.

On 9/22/2021 at 7:19 PM, Corsair Caliente said:

Hey Guys,

What versions of iCUE are you guys running?  If you were to temporarily exit / uninstall iCUE, does the fan appear to operate on their hardware-determined fan curve?

I am on 4.15.153. I tried uninstalling based on the instructions here, and rebooted. The fan does not spin until the system reaches the point of overheating, the front LEDs flash red, and the fan then ramps to 100%.

Edited to add: After reinstalling, the fan does not respond to system heat. Even when setting a custom fan minimum, the fan spins at the selected speed and never goes over. It's as though iCue doesn't know the temperature of the system, but the dashboard shows CPU and GPU temperatures.

Edited again to add: also, thank you for responding. I hope we can find a fix!

Edited by jtompkinsx

• Corsair Employee
10 minutes ago, jtompkinsx said:

I am on 4.15.153. I tried uninstalling based on the instructions here, and rebooted. The fan does not spin until the system reaches the point of overheating, the front LEDs flash red, and the fan then ramps to 100%.

Edited to add: After reinstalling, the fan does not respond to system heat. Even when setting a custom fan minimum, the fan spins at the selected speed and never goes over. It's as though iCue doesn't know the temperature of the system, but the dashboard shows CPU and GPU temperatures.

Edited again to add: also, thank you for responding. I hope we can find a fix!

The fan has a pre-determined hardware fan curve that operates when iCUE isn't running.  Have you been able to see if the fan spins while iCUE is either not running or completely uninstalled?  I want to see if this is somehow affecting the cooler at a hardware level.

5 minutes ago, Corsair Caliente said:

The fan has a pre-determined hardware fan curve that operates when iCUE isn't running.  Have you been able to see if the fan spins while iCUE is either not running or completely uninstalled?  I want to see if this is somehow affecting the cooler at a hardware level.

That's what I tested - I completely uninstalled iCUE, including removing the Registry entries, rebooted the machine, and then started a game. The fan never spun until the system started to overheat.

• Corsair Employee
On 9/24/2021 at 11:56 AM, jtompkinsx said:

That's what I tested - I completely uninstalled iCUE, including removing the Registry entries, rebooted the machine, and then started a game. The fan never spun until the system started to overheat.

Thanks for the reply.  We'll try to recreate this issue and see if we can figure out the root cause of it.

You said that the Extreme fan Profile is the only one that functions properly in iCUE.  Is this still the case?

Have you also tried installing the latest version of iCUE 3 instead of 4?  If so, did it make any difference?

15 hours ago, Corsair Caliente said:

Thanks for the reply.  We'll try to recreate this issue and see if we can figure out the root cause of it.

You said that the Extreme fan Profile is the only one that functions properly in iCUE.  Is this still the case?

Have you also tried installing the latest version of iCUE 3 instead of 4?  If so, did it make any difference?

I tried version 3 as well, with similar behavior.

Regarding the profiles, both Extreme and Custom work in that the fan spins; with Extreme it seems to always be at 100%. With Custom, the fan spins, but it seems to be locked at the speed that I set, instead of treating that speed as a minimum - for example, if I set the fan to spin at 30%, it will never go over 30%, even if the system is under load and in danger of overheating. It's almost as if the fan control is not actually aware of the system temperature, though iCue itself seems to show the accurate CPU and GPU temperatures on the dashboard.

• Corsair Employee
On 9/28/2021 at 7:39 AM, jtompkinsx said:

I tried version 3 as well, with similar behavior.

Regarding the profiles, both Extreme and Custom work in that the fan spins; with Extreme it seems to always be at 100%. With Custom, the fan spins, but it seems to be locked at the speed that I set, instead of treating that speed as a minimum - for example, if I set the fan to spin at 30%, it will never go over 30%, even if the system is under load and in danger of overheating. It's almost as if the fan control is not actually aware of the system temperature, though iCue itself seems to show the accurate CPU and GPU temperatures on the dashboard.

Thanks for the reply thus far.

We're looking into the adverse effects that recent Windows updates is having with iCUE fan controls.  Hopefully we can resolve this without requiring an RMA.

EDIT** a word.

15 hours ago, Corsair Caliente said:

We're looking into the adverse that recent Windows updates is having with iCUE fan controls.  Hopefully we can resolve this without requiring an RMA.

Thank you for looking into it! Please let me know if there is anything else I can test or otherwise do to help.

• 1 month later...
On 9/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, Corsair Caliente said:

We're looking into the adverse effects that recent Windows updates is having with iCUE fan controls.  Hopefully we can resolve this without requiring an RMA.

EDIT** a word.

Any updates?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 4:49 AM, Bill Lumbergh said:

Is iCue working properly now after some update? I’m thinking of buying an a200 but got a bit worried by this thread. 

No. After each update, I try re-setting the fan control to default, and every time, it sets the fan to run at 0 RPM and does not turn back on. Other than that, my A200 runs just fine; with the fan set at 70%, it's a little noiser than I'd like, but still quieter than many systems.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, Corsair Caliente said:

EDIT** a word.

One last check?

I have an a200 that I bought last July.   Ran into this fan issue after updating to Windows 21H1 as well.   When left and right pipes start blinking red, the top fan spins up briefly and stops immediately.  

Updated iCue to version 4.20.169 yesterday and the issue still remains.   

I have the fan set to Extreme so I don't cook my system during long gaming sessions, but this annoys me to no end.  I am really hoping for a resolution.

• 3 months later...

Just got my a200 yesterday. Windows 11 pre-installed out of the box. Ordered directly from Corsair.

I'm getting the same overheating critical errors.

In iCUE, the "default" fan profile fixes the % to ZERO (!!!).
"Extreme" fixes it to 100%.
Updated iCUE to 4.23.137. Same issue.

The fan profiles don't offer a way to set a custom curve, despite what the online documentation and videos advertise. I can only set a "fixed" percent.

I'll try to Corsair support pathway, but considering that it's 8-months now since the first report I'm not gonna hold my breath...

• Like 1

@djseebs Yes Sir or Ma'am, we are all waiting on this fix otherwise set mine to fixed 70ish percent.