Corsair Community

3080Ti Fe decreased performance and thermal throttling after XG7 water block install

I just installed a Corsair Waterblock on my 3080Ti Fe and the temp is now locked to 65C where it was running at 80+C when on its stock cooler. This is in addition to the core clocks decreasing as soon as I enter into a game going from 1950MHz to less than 900MHz. Precision is not locking the temp to 65 and all the settings are the same. Is there anyone who has an idea why the card is not behaving properly?

I have found that the card is thermal throttling even though the core is at 68C Hwinfo is reporting the highest temp on the card overall is 104C thus the throttling. I assume it is due to lack of cooling on VRMS but am unsure, any ideas other ideas or ways I could confirm my thoughts?

Remove the block and look at the paste pattern on the GPU. Is it fully covering the GPU?

That was indeed the problem, pre-applied paste wasn't covering the die completely

Edited by PhoenixIO

Did you get it resolved? Try tightening down the screws around the plate. With my 3090 block, I had one or two screws that weren't quite tightened all of the way down (by like ... 1/8 turn, so not much) and it caused poor contact. Tightening the screws fixed the issue.