Corsair Community

Hi,

I own the keyboard for about a week, and it's my first mechanical. I wonder if the ping sound should be this prominent:

https://vocaroo.com/1c8oVH9Nw3nt

These are brown switches, I'm pressing the keys with moderate force, and it's somewhat higher in real life, but that's the best I could do in recording.

I even exchanged the keyboard already as I thought it might be damaged, but the 2nd one sounds more or less the same.

I know that some ping is normal due to aluminum case, springs in switches, but I can't hear anything like this in any of the numerous review/typing tests on the net.

I would say that is pretty typical, possible slightly better than some. Most of the key strikes sound solid without rattles. There is always going to be some mechanical noise with tall switches and these materials.

If this is too much for you, there might be two alternate models to look at.

1) K70 MK.2 "low profile". This attacks the problem in a different way by reducing key height and the energy required. Mine is the quietest keyboard I own by far. I also think this is a good fit for those that have to use a laptop during the day and then a full size keyboard and night. The switches are lower and I find the back and forth easier.

2) K100 with Optical switches. Not silent, but no ping for sure. It was recently described as a "thwock" sound and I agree with that. However, optical switches are not the same as Cherry brown. They are quick to depress and activate and very linear. The space bar on this is a hair trigger. The rest of the switches are comparable to Cherry red but the mechanical switch element is removed.

Thanks for the answer c-attack.

But I'm surprised that you can't hear this metallic reverb for example here:

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

But it's clear in videos of people complaining about it (different model and switch, but the same effect):

[ame]

[/ame]

No, I definitely hear the ping and have 12 models here at home to compare. I am suggesting the metallic resonance is inherent, but also that some users are in a worse state with more than one sound issue.

This is a physics issue and the only real way to deal with it is by using some type of dampening on your end. Easy tactic is to go to a full desk mouse mat. This will help cut down on reflected noise off the desk surface. Desk material matters as well. Mine is glass and very reflective. Heavy wood is probably better, but I am not suggesting a new desk. The other possible move is to use rubber/silicon O-ring dampeners. This may help diffuse some of the energy on the initial strike. Obviously pulling, placing, and re-seating 100+ keys is a bit tedious.

I do not suggest continuing the exchange carousel. It’s possible there is one out there that has natively less resonance, but that is the odd ball specimen, not the two you acquired.