Corsair Community

HX750i—mounting orientation and fan profile

HazyBlue

I’m about to buy an HX750i for a new build, but I’m concerned about both proper cooling and silence.

The reason for my concern is that my case is Fractal Design Define 7 Compact. It has a PSU “shroud” shelf at the bottom. There are perforations, but I imagine it’s still suboptimal to have obstructions to PSU intake, especially since hot GPU/case air will be further obstructed by the perforated shelf.

It makes the most sense to flip the PSU with fan on the bottom, where there is a nice dust protection mesh and the tallest case feet I’ve seen to date.

As I understand, HX750i will heat up more facing down, and the fan might kick in louder. Can I set a custom curve in iCue to not start at zero RPM, but at 20% RPM and up from there? Does anything other than default curve end up being a static duty cycle number for any load?

Oh and one more question: are there any manufacturing date codes on Corsair PSUs or boxes? HX750i has been around for a long time. I’m buying from a large vendor and worry about getting a “back of the shelf” unit that’s been sitting and aging for a few years. Any way to check when I receive the PSU?

Perfect, thank you. Is there a custom fan curve option in iCue, or only default curve + static RPM? Or is the custom static RPM just the slowest value the fan can be set to, and it would go up from there once the value intersects the default curve? I remember reasing some reviews that made it seem like my only option is either static RPM or default curve.

• Corsair Employee

You can set a 40% PWM fan instead of zero at start which will reduce a sudden start up of the fan, but ultimately temperature and load controls the fan.

I think you're worrying too much based on other individuals' corner cases. Just build your PC as normal, use the default fan setting and go from there.

I’m about to buy an HX750i for a new build, but I’m concerned about both proper cooling and silence.

The reason for my concern is that my case is Fractal Design Define 7 Compact. It has a PSU “shroud” shelf at the bottom. There are perforations, but I imagine it’s still suboptimal to have obstructions to PSU intake, especially since hot GPU/case air will be further obstructed by the perforated shelf.

It makes the most sense to flip the PSU with fan on the bottom, where there is a nice dust protection mesh and the tallest case feet I’ve seen to date.

As I understand, HX750i will heat up more facing down, and the fan might kick in louder. Can I set a custom curve in iCue to not start at zero RPM, but at 20% RPM and up from there? Does anything other than default curve end up being a static duty cycle number for any load?

I have the Define 7 Compact, and you will definitely want to install your PSU with the fan facing down.

This way it gets access to clean air from outside the case. So GPU temp etc should hardly affect it.

The filter also keeps dust out of the PSU.

I wouldn't worry about setting a custom fan curve. The PSU will handle the fan just fine.

If it gets too warm, it starts the fan.

IT has a 10yr warranty too, so if anything DID happen its covered.