Corsair Community

AX1200i - Red light, powered off and not booting

Hi All

Background

This is my second AX1200i. The first one died 4 months ago. It powered off suddenly and from there would turn on for no more than 2 seconds. After taking the cables out, the self test did not work. I plugged a newer PSU into the machine and it worked completely fine. The AX1200i was RMA'd for a full replacement.

The replacement arrived in January and I installed it and have been using it fine ever since. I have turned it onto single rail mode in ICue as my 3080 pulls a lot of power and if left in multi rail mode causes the PC to crash with no BSOD when trying to render using Fusion360.

The issue

The computer shut off earlier in the same way the machine turned off with the older PSU. The computer was then not powering on for more than 2 seconds like the previous one, fans would spin for a second and then stop. I noticed that there was a red light glowing from where my self test LED is.

I tested each part individually, removing the GPU, RAM, USB devices etc to see if I could troubleshoot the problem that way. However that was to no avail.

I pulled the PSU out of the machine and removed all the cables. I tried the self test with no light coming on but the fan would move slightly and then click. This would just repeat over and over.

I left the PSU to sit for sometime with no cables plugged in and tried it. The PSU self test light lit up green and the PSU has worked fine since. I have plugged it back into the system and I have ran a bunch of stability checks and looks to be running fine.

To note, when it shut off I was only watching Youtube.

What was it? What should I do?

Was this likely just the PSU in some sort of over current/ surge protection mode? Should I look to RMA it? The last thing I want is it for it to be a bad PSU and for it to fry a component.

Edited by The Pokemon Kid

I noticed that there was a red light glowing from where my self test LED is.

the RED LED being on and the PSU powering up and then shutting down means its in protection mode.... this normally clears after a few minutes..

have had this my self on my old AX1200i and was an issue that started to become a regular thing...

Contact support if it does it again.....

• Corsair Employee
Hi All

Background

This is my second AX1200i. The first one died 4 months ago. It powered off suddenly and from there would turn on for no more than 2 seconds. After taking the cables out, the self test did not work. I plugged a newer PSU into the machine and it worked completely fine. The AX1200i was RMA'd for a full replacement.

The replacement arrived in January and I installed it and have been using it fine ever since. I have turned it onto single rail mode in ICue as my 3080 pulls a lot of power and if left in multi rail mode causes the PC to crash with no BSOD when trying to render using Fusion360.

The issue

The computer shut off earlier in the same way the machine turned off with the older PSU. The computer was then not powering on for more than 2 seconds like the previous one, fans would spin for a second and then stop. I noticed that there was a red light glowing from where my self test LED is.

I tested each part individually, removing the GPU, RAM, USB devices etc to see if I could troubleshoot the problem that way. However that was to no avail.

I pulled the PSU out of the machine and removed all the cables. I tried the self test with no light coming on but the fan would move slightly and then click. This would just repeat over and over.

I left the PSU to sit for sometime with no cables plugged in and tried it. The PSU self test light lit up green and the PSU has worked fine since. I have plugged it back into the system and I have ran a bunch of stability checks and looks to be running fine.

To note, when it shut off I was only watching Youtube.

What was it? What should I do?

Was this likely just the PSU in some sort of over current/ surge protection mode? Should I look to RMA it? The last thing I want is it for it to be a bad PSU and for it to fry a component.

We would recommend that you contact our support team by opening a ticket at https://help.corsair.com

• 1 year later...

I bumped into this post while searching for a solution to my problem:

I had an AX1200i, used it for 2-3 years. It went bad. I RMA’d it and they gave me a brand new one. 

That new one sat in storage for 4 years, while I switched to using a pre-built PC. I never even touched it’s packaging. Until 2 months ago, when I built a new PC myself and decided to use my 4 year old - but brand new AX1200i (current specs in my profile). Everything worked fine for 2 months. I benchmarked, I stress tested, I gamed on it… all was good. But 2 days ago the PC shut down suddenly and wouldn’t turn on again.  Well, it would turn on for only about half a second, with a click from the PSU, a flash of RGB and fans, then shut down, then repeat for a few times, then fall silent. The red light on the PSU would turn on everytime after a reset. So I removed the PSU from the case. The self test would only turn the fan on for a split second with no green light. I was prepared to buy a different brand PSU this time. However, a full day later the PSU went back to normal (green light on test) and I decided to put it back inside the case. All was well, I used it for another day, did several stress tests and there was no problem, but today when I came back from work the PC wouldn’t power on again. Same thing, the PSU is in protection mode again. Same symptoms…

I know it’s been some time since the original post but I was wondering if you were able to find a solution?

• 1 year later...
On 10/1/2022 at 4:12 PM, Ozcan said:

I bumped into this post while searching for a solution to my problem:

I had an AX1200i, used it for 2-3 years. It went bad. I RMA’d it and they gave me a brand new one. 

That new one sat in storage for 4 years, while I switched to using a pre-built PC. I never even touched it’s packaging. Until 2 months ago, when I built a new PC myself and decided to use my 4 year old - but brand new AX1200i (current specs in my profile). Everything worked fine for 2 months. I benchmarked, I stress tested, I gamed on it… all was good. But 2 days ago the PC shut down suddenly and wouldn’t turn on again.  Well, it would turn on for only about half a second, with a click from the PSU, a flash of RGB and fans, then shut down, then repeat for a few times, then fall silent. The red light on the PSU would turn on everytime after a reset. So I removed the PSU from the case. The self test would only turn the fan on for a split second with no green light. I was prepared to buy a different brand PSU this time. However, a full day later the PSU went back to normal (green light on test) and I decided to put it back inside the case. All was well, I used it for another day, did several stress tests and there was no problem, but today when I came back from work the PC wouldn’t power on again. Same thing, the PSU is in protection mode again. Same symptoms…

I know it’s been some time since the original post but I was wondering if you were able to find a solution?

I had the same problem. The spare ax1200i sent by RMA broke down within 2 or 3 months. By this time the warranty had already expired.
I explained the issue to Travis on Reddit, and he suggested a replacement, but since I am sometimes delayed in sending due to problems, I tried to reach him again last week, and Corsair employees insisted that the warranty was over and did not offer a replacement or alternative solution. Ax1200 and ax1200i know that they have a chronic problem, but the solution is zero. We have no choice but to throw it in the trash!!

65ca97b5-001a-4816-87c5-0ac98d5658f5.jpeg

I had a different problem with my AX1200i a couple of years ago. Because I couldn't find the receipt I was given a replacement AX1200i as RMA with the note that the warranty would only last 30 days. I should have known better. The RMA/replacement PSU came sealed in a box, yet after a couple of months it gave me the red-light problem. Searched about "protection mode", tried different (working) cables, mains, computers, self-tests, PSU-testers, etc. I was left with a 2kgr brick, a nice cardboard and some spare cables. Like many, I have had tons of Corsair products, some good communication too in the past but this left a bad taste in my mouth. I am short 1-2 PSUs for my systems these days but I just don't know if I can trust Corsair PSUs again.

Edited by gorg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gorg said:

I had a different problem with my AX1200i a couple of years ago. Because I couldn't find the receipt I was given a replacement AX1200i as RMA with the note that the warranty would only last 30 days. I should have known better. The RMA/replacement PSU came sealed in a box, yet after a couple of months it gave me the red-light problem. Searched about "protection mode", tried different (working) cables, mains, computers, self-tests, PSU-testers, etc. I was left with a 2kgr brick, a nice cardboard and some spare cables. Like many, I have had tons of Corsair products, some good communication too in the past but this left a bad taste in my mouth. I am short 1-2 PSUs for my systems these days but I just don't know if I can trust Corsair PSUs again.

Even though they know that it is a chronic problem, they send ax1200 and ax1200 over and over again and they make the user suffer.  During the time I kept it on the shelf, the warranty expired and I needed it one day, but when it broke down within 2 months, I saw that the warranty was over. Travis gave a different exchange suggestion, but I could not send it due to my workload. I reached last week and a different customer support told me that there would be no exchange. As you said, it leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth about the Psu. I have never had a problem with other products, and if I have, they have fast and precise solutions.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

good greeting
I have the same problem for my Ax1200i  after the motherboard burned out
And buy a new motherboard, processor and RAM
I turned it on at the same time and after a while some errors started appearing on the motherboard
It turns on and off every two seconds, after which the device worked for two days without any problems

I downloaded the programs and tested the computer with the Benchmark program, and it was as good as it could be without any problems
On the third day, the red light came on the power supply

But I can't complain because the power supply has been running for 10 years straight without shutting down the computer. I bought it in 2013 and now in 2024 the problems started.
Yes, I would never find a power supply of this quality, but budget times dictated it and I ordered another power supply

After ordering, I said I would try again and tested the wire and it showed red
I left it on for a while and then tried it again and the green light turned on and the computer started !!
But I can't rely on it now, as I'm afraid it might cause a in the computer