Corsair Community

Abit A8N-F Fatal1ty M/B, 2X1GB Pro XMS

reece

Hi there

Me and a friend are putting together a system and are a little concerned with running 2 different version XMS 1GB TwinX kits for a total of 2GB RAM.

The motherboard is a ABIT A8N-F Fatal1ty for AMD 64.

The 2 RAM Kits are:

CMX512

3200C2PRO

XMS3202V1.1

AND...

CMX512

3200C2PRO

XMS3202V4.3

We want the modules to be running in dual channel mode and are assuming that each paired RAM should be the V1.1 or the V4.3 respectively. But are there going to be any setting difference required for the different chips on the ABIT motherboard?

We are really confused and not even sure if the 2 versions will be compatible?

Thanks in advance

Reece

The only 100% sure way to tell is to put them in and see if it will boot. However, mixing revisions is usually a VERY bad idea. You can get anything from instability to no boot. Your best bet for 2 gb of RAM is to bet a TwinX 2048mb PC3200C2 kit. The AN-8 will only run at 333mhz with 4 sticks installed. This is a chipset limitation.

Mike.

• Corsair Employee
I would not suggest mixing modules with this platform, and you do realize that if you use 4 modules the system will run at DDR333 right? But if you want to try I would set the timinngs to Cass 3-3-3-8 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts and DDR333 manually and test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

Thanks for the quick reply guys

that certainly has hindered my plans :sigh!:

333MHz? I'm not convinced about this at all...Single-sided RAM looks like the better option.

Any recommendations on some good 512MB Single sided modules to run?

Am I right in assuming that even 2 double-sided 1GB Modules will still run at 333MHz?

ARGH!

thanks again

Archived