Corsair Community

Planning new build - advice needed

Hi there,

I am new to the Corsair User Forums and am hoping to get some advice/feedback on my proposed new build. I usually build a new rig every 5-6 years but while I have built like 4 standard gaming machines in the past with minimal RGB lighting, I really want a well-lit machine this time around. I am proposing an air cooled machine because I don't think I'm at the technical level yet or have the time to do a water cooled build.

So here's my wishlist so far of components:

1. Corsair Obsidian 1000d.

2. Corsair Dominator RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4

3. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme Motherboard

4. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor

5. Noctua NH-D15 Chromax CPU Cooler Black

6. Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3090 Xtreme 24GB

Questions:

1. Is the Corsair Obsidian 1000d overkill for an air-cooled system?

2. The Corsair Obsidian 1000d looks like it can fit eight 120mm fans on the front panel, three 140mm fans on the top and two 140mm fans at the back; From what I can see the case does not come with any fans included but does include 1 x Commander Pro. If I wanted to get 5 x ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans for the top and back of the case and 8 x ML120 PRO RGB LED 120MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans for the front, how do I connect them all up so that I can control both the RGB lighting and fan speed using Corsair(?) software?

3. What other components would I need to have to get all the fans to light up and be curated like those fancy promo videos I saw where all the RGB lighting elements can be controlled as a complete entity?

4. I know the motherboard I am thinking off also has some led and fan controllers - are these compatible with the Corsair software used to control lights/fan speed?

5. I like the sound of mag lev fans because they are promoted as being quieter, but do the mag lev fans come with the dual LED ring around the fan like these ones https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/ml-config/p/CO-9050072-WW ?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice! :o: Please note I am a total n00b with RGB lighting so if you can step things out I would really appreciate it!

Edited by Shaper85

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

I am new to the Corsair User Forums and am hoping to get some advice/feedback on my proposed new build. I usually build a new rig every 5-6 years but while I have built like 4 standard gaming machines in the past with minimal RGB lighting, I really want a well-lit machine this time around. I am proposing an air cooled machine because I don't think I'm at the technical level yet or have the time to do a water cooled build.

So here's my wishlist so far of components:

1. Corsair Obsidian 1000d.

2. Corsair Dominator RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4

3. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme Motherboard

4. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor

5. Noctua NH-D15 Chromax CPU Cooler Black

6. Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3090 Xtreme 24GB

Questions:

1. Is the Corsair Obsidian 1000d overkill for an air-cooled system?

2. The Corsair Obsidian 1000d looks like it can fit eight 120mm fans on the front panel, three 140mm fans on the top and two 140mm fans at the back; From what I can see the case does not come with any fans included but does include 1 x Commander Pro. If I wanted to get 5 x ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans for the top and back of the case and 8 x ML120 PRO RGB LED 120MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans for the front, how do I connect them all up so that I can control both the RGB lighting and fan speed using Corsair(?) software?

3. What other components would I need to have to get all the fans to light up and be curated like those fancy promo videos I saw where all the RGB lighting elements can be controlled as a complete entity?

4. I know the motherboard I am thinking off also has some led and fan controllers - are these compatible with the Corsair software used to control lights/fan speed?

5. I like the sound of mag lev fans because they are promoted as being quieter, but do the mag lev fans come with the dual LED ring around the fan like these ones https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/ml-config/p/CO-9050072-WW ?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice! :o: Please note I am a total n00b with RGB lighting so if you can step things out I would really appreciate it!

Overkill is only if you think it is, it is a very big case but it is awesome air cooled or liquid cooled. As you know the case was designed to be a 2 PC in 1 case , for streaming and gaming, but it turns out to be a great case for water cooling because of its size and room, I don't think you will regret it because you will be set if you decide to water cool down the road, there are you tube videos showing water and air cooled 1000d builds, also I'm sure there's forum members who also built air cooled as well. Just bare in mind there are great cases out there that are large but not as large, for half the money, and still can be packed with fans, its your money just think and view other options before you dive in.

Ok , as for this case, and fans.

FAN LAYOUT:

Front ----8 , 120mm fans

Top-------3 , 140mm fans

Rear------2 , 120mm fans

the only way your gonna get 2-140 in rear is machining or sanding one side of each fan frame to fit.

FAN TYPE:

QL Fans have double light rings, and 3-pack 120 fans come with lighting node core.

LL fans have single light rings, and 3-pack 120 fans come with lighting node core.

QL OR LL 140 fans 2-pack come with lighting node pro.

ML 120 OR 140 fans come with node core and node pro.

The fans you pick are up to you and the type of light show your looking to have.

Quick run down:

qty 3- 3pk of 120mm

qty 1-- single 120mm

qty 1--2pk 140mm

qty 1-- single 140mm

with above 120mm you will get the 3-lighting node cores you will need for led fan hook up, and the 140-2pk will give you the lighting node pro, needed to run/split the lighting node cores, all of this now goes to the COMMANDER PRO that comes with the case.

Now your gonna need PWM FAN HUB's that are sata or molex powered so that there is no load on motherboard, best bet is 2-10 port PWM fan hubs

AMAZON:

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Controller-Chassis-Dedicated-Multiple/dp/B08Q3JP8HG/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=10+PORT+PWM+FAN+HUB&qid=1614044166&sr=8-19

This is what I used, I prefer to use molex on fan hubs because you get to save your sata plugs for other things like hard drives and such.

I'm water cooled, but this will give you an idea of wiring lighting node cores and pro, as well as fan hubs, all going to commander pro, TESTING RGB WIRING.

Edited by JDAMAGE