Corsair Community

iCue Nexus freezes and hangs computer

SongJiHyoZ

Hi there,

I have a Corsair iCue Nexus and its plugged in the my K95 platinum for which the cable directly runs to the back of the mobo.

However, after using it for like 5-10 mins, my computer suddenly freezes and hangs. I had to force shutdown my computer which led to OC failure.

May I know what should i do to curb the issue?

To confirm if its the Nexus's issue, i removed the nexus connection from the keyboard and there was no sign of hanging or freeze of my computer.

My iCue version:3.32.80

My Nexus version: 2.2.5

Please find the system logs as of below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/467q41w1jh97bxj/26-Aug-2020%20log.zip?dl=0

Regards

John

Edited by SongJiHyoZ

What were doing when it froze? Normal desktop stuff? Gaming/renders GPU load? It is dependent on the GPU to render the various graphs and a GPU driver crash will hang the Nexus and CUE as well. However, neither should send you to the BIOS screen on the next reboot.

What might do that is a memory issue. Any new timings/settings there? Full system freeze is a more common result of an issue there, it can occur at any time, and is also infuriatingly sporadic. It also would probably take to the BIOS screen with a Mem OK or similar notice.

What were doing when it froze? Normal desktop stuff? Gaming/renders GPU load? It is dependent on the GPU to render the various graphs and a GPU driver crash will hang the Nexus and CUE as well. However, neither should send you to the BIOS screen on the next reboot.

What might do that is a memory issue. Any new timings/settings there? Full system freeze is a more common result of an issue there, it can occur at any time, and is also infuriatingly sporadic. It also would probably take to the BIOS screen with a Mem OK or similar notice.

Hi c-attack, thanks for the reply :)

Basically when idle with nothing loaded it simply hangs and freezed. I am not even running anything at all.

Basically my ram settings is at 3000mhz, it is perfectly fine with games and doing other tasks, i have thought initially it was ram issue, so i tried to down the ram frequency to 2800mhz instead. It still happened :(

Every crash leads to OC failure instead of a memok or similar notice issue.

I am really at a loss here...

OK, that likely takes the GPU out of it at the desktop level. If there have been no other recent changes to RAM timings (or crashes), then that also seems more improbable. It's also concerning if this was not a one time event. I know this has been referred to CUE team. I might be inclined to continue with the Nexus disconnected to further demonstrate stability without it, rather than continually having to reset the PC.

OK, that likely takes the GPU out of it at the desktop level. If there have been no other recent changes to RAM timings (or crashes), then that also seems more improbable. It's also concerning if this was not a one time event. I know this has been referred to CUE team. I might be inclined to continue with the Nexus disconnected to further demonstrate stability without it, rather than continually having to reset the PC.

Surprisingly, the GPU LEDs still continue to function, while the rest of it froze and hanged with the computer.

And yes i have submitted an enquiry directly to corsair and see what they have to say about this... then again it might be my own computer problem but i don't encounter anyone with the same issue as me for now (Maybe i am the only idiot who buys this kind of thing lol)

Have you tried connecting the Nexus directly to a USB port on the rear I/O? I know it's not ideal but ...

Hi Devbiker, wow that was an amazing solution lol i still tried it as shown in the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1g5nn9xhzk4nilm/2020-08-27%2009.58.48.jpg?dl=0

Unfortunately, it froze too :D: But it took quite awhile (About 2 hours) before it froze.

I hoped it was the USB passthrough issue from the K95, but unfortunately it isn't...

Hi all,

In case anyone here who has the same issue.

Just to update everyone, i have contacted Corsair on this matter.

To my surprise there are similar users with the same issue as mentioned by them and that they will be have a firmware update soon.

That's all i have..

So if anyone here who sees it, you might still get a 7 day refund from it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

So updates as of below:

I received another email to update both icue [3.33.246] and nexus [2.26]

Overall software has no issues for me after installation.

I have tested the 2.26 firmware for about 5 hours straight when i received the email.

I am happy to report that there are not freezing nor hanging of the computer for now.

Day 4 of use and still no issues.

So overall updating the firmware to 2.26 and using latest iCue software should work if anyone sees this.

Thanks all for the help!

• 6 months later...

I have been seeing the same issues as current as today. But not just with the nexus plugged in. In fact if iCUE is installed my PC hangs randomly... sometimes in less than 5 minutes from boot, others in a couple hours.

I completely rebuilt a new PC and as soon as I installed iCUE... CRASH. Unless Corsair has something coming, all this stuff is going back.

iCUE 3.x and 4.x exhibit the same random hangs.

I strongly suspect the corsair service that is running and polling sensors. I have a 10 core 10900K that seems stable with just the commander and a M65. But my main workstation has a 28Core W-3175X. Perhaps that is too many sensors to poll?

I have tried removing each part one by one but even with only the software running the crashes will happen.

Installed corsair hardware includes:

K100

Nexus

Dark Core Pro

Commander Pro

MM800

5 QL Fans and ARGB light strips

Basically the works

Is a shame because it looks so cool just before it dies. but I would rather have a PC that works instead of a pretty door stop.

Anyone have some suggestions besides the obvious firmware and patches? So far that has been a bust.

Thanks!

I have been seeing the same issues as current as today. But not just with the nexus plugged in. In fact if iCUE is installed my PC hangs randomly... sometimes in less than 5 minutes from boot, others in a couple hours.

I completely rebuilt a new PC and as soon as I installed iCUE... CRASH. Unless Corsair has something coming, all this stuff is going back.

iCUE 3.x and 4.x exhibit the same random hangs.

I strongly suspect the corsair service that is running and polling sensors. I have a 10 core 10900K that seems stable with just the commander and a M65. But my main workstation has a 28Core W-3175X. Perhaps that is too many sensors to poll?

I have tried removing each part one by one but even with only the software running the crashes will happen.

Installed corsair hardware includes:

K100

Nexus

Dark Core Pro

Commander Pro

MM800

5 QL Fans and ARGB light strips

Basically the works

Is a shame because it looks so cool just before it dies. but I would rather have a PC that works instead of a pretty door stop.

Anyone have some suggestions besides the obvious firmware and patches? So far that has been a bust.

Thanks!

I also had the same issues with you before i updated to 2.26. If you find that 2.26 still can't solve your issue despite the support line telling you to reinstall everything i suggest you don't plug in your nexus at the moment. Wait for a couple of new windows updates.

If not, try ccleaner to flush out any registry issues.

I do want to highlight although my nexus is working, but my new MM700 mousepad is having lighting freezing issues as well. My concern is the software issues, so imma hang around and wait.

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1085021#post1085021

One thing to test is disable the plugins in the icue software as a test (meaning icue will no longer control the argb from the mainboard for lighting effects) as I have seen some people reporting that some of the plugins for other hardware can cause problems.

I do have a X99 Asus board with the lighting synced to it. For now its not causing any issues. The main concern is the MSI dragon center which is a pain in the butt for now.... so tyep.

Overall iCUE still needs work...

It has been a few days and I have tested just about EVERYTHING including formatting and reinstalling OS and drivers. As soon as the iCUE detected the Nexus things started acting up again with the same reported soft hang. The Nexus will be unplugged for the time being. Neither iCUE 3.x nor 4.x corrected the issue.

My system is 100% stable as long as the Nexus is not plugged in. All other peripherals and software are working just fine.

Crazy waste of time and money. It is apparent that this device did not get much QA before release. I will be reviewing the product and warning future customers... it is NOT ready for prime time.

-J

It has been a few days and I have tested just about EVERYTHING including formatting and reinstalling OS and drivers. As soon as the iCUE detected the Nexus things started acting up again with the same reported soft hang. The Nexus will be unplugged for the time being. Neither iCUE 3.x nor 4.x corrected the issue.

My system is 100% stable as long as the Nexus is not plugged in. All other peripherals and software are working just fine.

Crazy waste of time and money. It is apparent that this device did not get much QA before release. I will be reviewing the product and warning future customers... it is NOT ready for prime time.

-J

Hi Hittman,

To be honest none of their new products these days have gone through extensive QCs probably due to COVID-19 issue. Personally the hardware isn't the issue but more on the software configuration.

Like for now the release of the new iCUE v4 series was to introduce the K65 RGB mini series keyboards. I understand Corsair is trying to push for newer products but at the same time they should understand that not everyone of us changes their product lineout in a daily manner...

Also, sorry to hear that your nexus is still not working.

No fret you just need to wait for awhile like i did before 2.26 version came out.

• Corsair Employee

-J

Make sure you have updated the Nexus to the latest firmware.