Corsair Community

I have no idea what im doing.

Tyg420

Hi. Its been days now and i've still barely done anything about my build. I have no idea what im doing. I use pictures from a guide, but I really have no idea what im doing. At all. I'm getting really close to trashing this case and everything related to it out of frustration. I just want to get it done already. I got my h150i pro radiator mounted on 3 fans up front on the 500d rgb se, and those fans were already pre-attached to a commander pro/rgb fan led hub. there's a bunch of cables laying around I have no idea where they come from or what they do. The pictures from a guide shows that the h150i pro has to be connected to the fans to control them, but how do i connect them? There's no inputs anywhere on the radiator. I just made some pictures, I hope they're usefull because I just dont know what to do anymore. What I have:

h150i pro radiator up front with 3 ll120 rgb fans, 3 seperate ll120 rgb fans, 2 up top 1 in the back, and 4 rgb led strips, from the expansion kit. Does anyone know what to do? Thanks in advance.

1726936410_image(1).jpg.e46d2b4ac7fb822ad89eb19befca1eeb.jpg

1048887737_image(2).jpg.a7a1d37b9131e7b8307a8223ec0f4506.jpg

1731107752_image(3).jpg.2b98b51bfaec9b6de7384e96a68c0505.jpg

379899486_image(4).jpg.b766ae43961a3421f72f217c7db1172c.jpg

1278810974_image(5).jpg.5eefd89418642132457968de3f21d333.jpg

image.jpg.5dd2a6458f1c174ee5b8ec1e9c237ac2.jpg

Hey bud,

I understand your frustration. Let's see if we can get you headed down the right path. Your pictures are a bit blurry and hard to see but let's see what we can do with it.

Pic (1) has a SATA power connector (wide flat connector) and what looks like a USB 3.1 Gen 2 connector. I'm not sure what the power connector is for but the USB cable is for your case's front panel port. It'll plug into the motherboard if it has the port (AsRock TaiChi, from the looks of it ... and I think it does).

Pic (2) looks like it might be a fan hub? Hard to say, it's so blurry. Judging from the number of wires maybe even a Commander Pro (CoPro)? If I can't tell between a Fan Hub and a CoPro, that's a bad picture. Give us something we can work with, buddy. I can say, however, that you need to mount the cooler on the processor. I can't tell if you have the bracket installed or not yet but the bracket will go on the back of the motherboard. You screw in the standoffs (they bracket will be loose, by the way, no issue with that) and then mount the pump head on the standoffs. Tighten down the screws. The cooler will also require SATA power and you should plug the fan header cable into the CPU_FAN header. It's not needed for operation but it'll keep you from getting a CPU Fan warning on boot.

Pic (3) is definitely and RGB Fan Hub. The fans will connect to this to control the RGB function.

Pic (4) is cables. Can't see anything clearly. Don't know.

Pic (5) is ... blurry. There's a SATA power connector in there but I've no clue what to goes to.

The final pic shows cable routing.

If there were better images, we might be able to help you more. It'd probably also do you some good to take a break and let the frustration slide away before coming back to it.

And make sure that you take a good, long read of Zotty's excellent RGB FAQ. It'll help explain what all the parts, pieces and connectors are.

• Corsair Employee

As DevBiker mentioned check out the diagrams from Zotty as it's one of the best referencing tools in terms of gaining a better understanding of how things properly connect to one another.

From the looks of the picture It looks like there are two many things you are trying to do at once as opposed to one thing at a time.

Isolate the I/O panel configuration first, then the cooler, then the fans. That way you have a stronger understanding of what is connected to what.

Hey bud,

I understand your frustration. Let's see if we can get you headed down the right path. Your pictures are a bit blurry and hard to see but let's see what we can do with it.

Pic (1) has a SATA power connector (wide flat connector) and what looks like a USB 3.1 Gen 2 connector. I'm not sure what the power connector is for but the USB cable is for your case's front panel port. It'll plug into the motherboard if it has the port (AsRock TaiChi, from the looks of it ... and I think it does).

Pic (2) looks like it might be a fan hub? Hard to say, it's so blurry. Judging from the number of wires maybe even a Commander Pro (CoPro)? If I can't tell between a Fan Hub and a CoPro, that's a bad picture. Give us something we can work with, buddy. I can say, however, that you need to mount the cooler on the processor. I can't tell if you have the bracket installed or not yet but the bracket will go on the back of the motherboard. You screw in the standoffs (they bracket will be loose, by the way, no issue with that) and then mount the pump head on the standoffs. Tighten down the screws. The cooler will also require SATA power and you should plug the fan header cable into the CPU_FAN header. It's not needed for operation but it'll keep you from getting a CPU Fan warning on boot.

Pic (3) is definitely and RGB Fan Hub. The fans will connect to this to control the RGB function.

Pic (4) is cables. Can't see anything clearly. Don't know.

Pic (5) is ... blurry. There's a SATA power connector in there but I've no clue what to goes to.

The final pic shows cable routing.

If there were better images, we might be able to help you more. It'd probably also do you some good to take a break and let the frustration slide away before coming back to it.

And make sure that you take a good, long read of Zotty's excellent RGB FAQ. It'll help explain what all the parts, pieces and connectors are.

As DevBiker mentioned check out the diagrams from Zotty as it's one of the best referencing tools in terms of gaining a better understanding of how things properly connect to one another.

From the looks of the picture It looks like there are two many things you are trying to do at once as opposed to one thing at a time.

Isolate the I/O panel configuration first, then the cooler, then the fans. That way you have a stronger understanding of what is connected to what.

Alright, so I managed to put on my AIO with paste, the fans are all installed in the case also, now i'm trying to pull back some cables so its easier to see everything. i got 6 cables (2 cables per fan) in the back now, from the non-radiator fans, these are the two cables attatched. (image 100)

Should I keep my commander pro and RGB Fan hub in the back to make my case prettier or do they have to be located upfront somewhere? I assume the RGB plugs, whichever they may be, go into the RGB fan hub? Both loose fans and radiator fans? then the left over cables from the non-radiator fans, go into the commander pro, then I still have 3 fan control plugs for the fans of my radiator, where do those go? The led control hub from the rgb fan led hub goes into a LED slot on the commander pro, then I have a SATA Power cable from the rgb fan led hub, this goes into my PSU? The sata from my commander pro also goes into the PSU? Then I have a USB cable from the commander pro, (image 101) where does this go? I also have these three cables(image102), I dont know what they belong to or where they go, the radiator also has cables (image103) where do these go? I'll install my PSU now. I hope you can make something of this, thanks in advance!

Edit: I also cannot install my SSD, I unscrew one of the SSD trays, place the SSD in (according to corsair it should click in, which it doesnt, its just a piece of metal) (image56t). I thought, It doesnt have to click into anything if its screwed in. But when I do that, the ssd is too thick, so the tray cannot be put back the way its supposed to be. If I insert the tray back using the tray holders, (image57), I cannot bring the ssd and tray up because it gets blocked by the ssd. (image58), alternatively I dont insert the tray into the 2 holders, but I just put it on the case and screw it in, but then the screw isnt long enough.(image55), Im using a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yzfhP6/samsung-860-evo-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e1t0bam) How am I supposed to do this?

image100.thumb.jpg.23d0572a7a3024c369bfcabe8b318c78.jpg

image101.jpg.fafd883b6eebc77ab3f5818da2ea0a24.jpg

image102.jpg.dac4d4c81e4f7ccc3930f16a611d63bb.jpg

image103.jpg.e805a69d5ddc267dc8dc6c42980855d4.jpg

1737805026_Image56t.jpg.74cd205160ec8924e8bbf1c6d196bd2c.jpg

1964679762_image57.jpg.c81380be25bae4a9640c53a5e7c4c495.jpg

image58.jpg.eecfa7b3f190f54f0cbdeeafd95d6de9.jpg

904669744_Image55.jpg.45e828a3555ebf83de10ad5b0f906741.jpg

Should I keep my commander pro and RGB Fan hub in the back to make my case prettier or do they have to be located upfront somewhere?

Wherever you can manage. There is no remote or line of sight required, so stick it any place that makes sense for your wiring.

I assume the RGB plugs, whichever they may be, go into the RGB fan hub? Both loose fans and radiator fans? then the left over cables from the non-radiator fans, go into the commander pro, then I still have 3 fan control plugs for the fans of my radiator, where do those go?

Yes, small flat plugs go into the 6 port RGB Lighting hub. The numbers have meaning. You must use them sequentially, so if you have 5 fans, they must be on ports 1-5, not 2-6 or any other combination. Also, many of the RGB effects have a sequential timing aspect to them. So you want to connect the fans in some order, probably either front lowest #1 to rear exhaust #6 or vice versa. Direction can usually be flipped within the software.

LL fan are trickier still. You need to turn them all the same way in relation to the cords or some of the rotational effects will appear out of sequence. I am not using them, so perhaps another user has more pointed advice.

The led control hub from the rgb fan led hub goes into a LED slot on the commander pro, then I have a SATA Power cable from the rgb fan led hub, this goes into my PSU? The sata from my commander pro also goes into the PSU?

Yes and most SATA cables have multiple connections (usually 2-3). You can use the same main power cord for both RGB hum and LNP/C-Pro or any other devices or drives that need SATA power. No need to run a separate power cable for each device.

Then I have a USB cable from the commander pro, (image 101) where does this go? I also have these three cables(image102), I dont know what they belong to or where they go, the radiator also has cables (image103) where do these go? I'll install my PSU now.

For image 101 and 102, see the install directions for the motherboard. 101 will go into your USB 2.0 internal header. Be careful, there is often another connector right next to it that looks the same, but is not a USB connector. The location is different for most board models. 102 is your front panel case connectors for headphone jack (front), USB front, and it looks like USB C front. These all go into headers on the motherboard. Again, use the manual to find them for your board. There may be more than one USB 3 port. HD Audio is usually on the bottom of the board, toward the back. USB C could be anywhere.

Image 103 is the SATA power cable for the H150i and the 3 fan connectors for the radiators fans. Plug the radiator fans into the H150i, not the Commander Pro. You will be able to control all of them with the iCUE software, but there is no need to waste 3 Commander pro headers when the pump controller can do the same. It is also a safety measure. Even if you can't communicate with the software or have some other issue, the cooler will adjust fan speeds to do the cooling job if something goes wrong.

That is SATA connections for the H150i, Commander Pro, RGB hub, and all your drives. Going to need 2 PSU SATA cables at a minimum.

Wherever you can manage. There is no remote or line of sight required, so stick it any place that makes sense for your wiring.

Yes, small flat plugs go into the 6 port RGB Lighting hub. The numbers have meaning. You must use them sequentially, so if you have 5 fans, they must be on ports 1-5, not 2-6 or any other combination. Also, many of the RGB effects have a sequential timing aspect to them. So you want to connect the fans in some order, probably either front lowest #1 to rear exhaust #6 or vice versa. Direction can usually be flipped within the software.

LL fan are trickier still. You need to turn them all the same way in relation to the cords or some of the rotational effects will appear out of sequence. I am not using them, so perhaps another user has more pointed advice.

Yes and most SATA cables have multiple connections (usually 2-3). You can use the same main power cord for both RGB hum and LNP/C-Pro or any other devices or drives that need SATA power. No need to run a separate power cable for each device.

For image 101 and 102, see the install directions for the motherboard. 101 will go into your USB 2.0 internal header. Be careful, there is often another connector right next to it that looks the same, but is not a USB connector. The location is different for most board models. 102 is your front panel case connectors for headphone jack (front), USB front, and it looks like USB C front. These all go into headers on the motherboard. Again, use the manual to find them for your board. There may be more than one USB 3 port. HD Audio is usually on the bottom of the board, toward the back. USB C could be anywhere.

Image 103 is the SATA power cable for the H150i and the 3 fan connectors for the radiators fans. Plug the radiator fans into the H150i, not the Commander Pro. You will be able to control all of them with the iCUE software, but there is no need to waste 3 Commander pro headers when the pump controller can do the same. It is also a safety measure. Even if you can't communicate with the software or have some other issue, the cooler will adjust fan speeds to do the cooling job if something goes wrong.

That is SATA connections for the H150i, Commander Pro, RGB hub, and all your drives. Going to need 2 PSU SATA cables at a minimum.

Hm, so for SATA, I can have my RGB Fan Led Hub plugged into the PSU, then have the rgb fan led hub plugged into my commander by with its LED cable, and the Commander pro would not need to be SATA connected? Because the SATA is transferred by the LED cable from the rgb fan led hub? How would I use a SSD and HDD on the same SATA? I also cant seem to mount my SSD in my 500d rgb se, can i just stick it somewhere random? And I got a massive bag of cables with my PSU, I have no idea what I need or what these cables are. I also have more cables, I forgot where they came from. But every cable came from my build.

1x Massive 24pin cable, one side is a single block the other side are 2 big blocks(image200) I assume the big block goes into my motherboard and the 2 blocks go into my PSU?

3x cable that has a 8pin,with Type3 written on it, on the other side there are 2 cables that grow out to a 6 + 2 pin, both have ''PciE" written on it,(image201), no idea what to do with these.

2x cable both sides 8pin, one side says CPU one side says Type3. (image202), No idea what to do with these.

2x cable one with a 4pin one with a.. whatever it is (image 203)

1x cable, 4pin with a tiny tiny other end (image 204), no idea what to do with this.

2x cable, 9 pin usb with some kind of plug, (image205), no idea what to do with these.

2x cable, cant even explain these. (image206) No idea what to do with these.

3x cable 8 pin type3, and along the way to the end there are.. sata ports? including one on the tip. No idea how this would work. doesnt look very practical. No idea what to do with these.(image207)

4x cable,dont know how to explain this one. The ends of this cable fit in each other.(image208) not sure what to do with these.

And lastly, I believe these come from my motherboard package, 2 packages that say "Designed for SATA3 6Gb/s. Both packages contain 2 of the same cord, (image209). No idea what to do with these.

And how do I connect the 3 fan control wires to my h150i pro? connect them to the motherboard? there's nowhere to plug these into on the radiator or cooler block. Thank you :)

edit: I also got a cable, 2x, (image 210), no idea what its for either. Cant seem to post more than 10 pictures so ill add another comment.

image200.jpg.91d3f8e363c9d5be74905ca77e35f14a.jpg

image201.jpg.0fec5e064fc4f859bc749209f15c7ec6.jpg

Image202.thumb.jpg.0978e3b99dabfee265618beec8210ce1.jpg

Image203.jpg.7d1a2d869a9f1aec0e9b1cbaa693ff42.jpg

image204.jpg.2f9f9f899bc73b71591f5b9dad0e64ab.jpg

image205.jpg.eaa2c08d7099a74dcd0d36af3cfd0f7f.jpg

Image206.jpg.ff0cb02f6f95272531f07260a0a1520d.jpg

image207.jpg.8d7195ba1c4e47902e747ba20cad6b1a.jpg

Image208.jpg.c507567c9cbacb68be3eff763c32fe08.jpg

image209.jpg.00cf4a44b6d3a156a464660a50636f16.jpg

Image 207 is your SATA POWER line. This is what will supply the necessary voltage to all your drives, the H150i, RGB Hub, and Commander Pro. Each and every device will need its own SATA POWER connection. No, the line from RGB hub to Commander Pro will be a data transmission line, not power.

Image 209 is a SATA DATA cable. This is for transmitting power, but connects the HDD/SSD drives to the motherboard. The SATA motherboard ports are on the right edge of the board. The number on the side matters. See your manual for any restrictions. Sometimes higher numbers (like 5&6 or 9&10) may not work when certain PCI-E lanes are filled (like with another SSD or GPU). However, most importantly, these SATA ports are specific locations in the system's virtual world. If you unplug your drive from SATA 2 and put it in SATA 4, the system will think it is a new drive. Best to set these up the way you want them, then leave them alone.

200 - Mainboard main power. Usually referred to as... 24 pin power cable. Only one place for that.

201- PCI-E power cables. These are for the GPU. Will likely need 2 cables, but GPU model specific. (8 pin to 6+2)

202- 8 pin accessory ATX power cable. (8 pin to 8 pin). Some boards need even more power than the 24 pin cable provides. They supplement this with the 8 pin cable. The additional spot is most often up and top and your motherboard manual will discuss this.

203-Molex power connector. Leave it off to the side.

204 - Fan power connector direct to PSU. Will let you run a fan (or some pumps) at maximum speed direct from the PSU. Leave it off to the side. Don't need it currently.

205 - Mini USB to USB 2.0. Where did that come from? Your H150i will have something similar you must plug into the board or the Commander Pro's two USB 2.0 ports.

206 - Molex and more molex. Leave it off to the side.

207 - SATA POWER!!!

208 - Looks like a motherboard fan extension to give you more reach. Leave it off to the side for now (unless you come up short on a fan).

209 - SATA DATA

The side of the power cable with "Type 3" will go into the PSU. There will be marked sockets for the mainboard connector and the PCI connector. The SATA connector will go into the peripheral connections. Your PSU should have a manual as well to help with this.

c-attack detailed out what each one is, mostly. Except 204 ... I don't think that's a fan cable. That may be an old-school Corsair Link analog cable. What PSU do you have? Is it an AXi series? Regardless ... leave it off to the side. You don't need it at this stage.

Another good reference for you : [ame]

[/ame].

The side of the power cable with "Type 3" will go into the PSU. There will be marked sockets for the mainboard connector and the PCI connector. The SATA connector will go into the peripheral connections. Your PSU should have a manual as well to help with this.

c-attack detailed out what each one is, mostly. Except 204 ... I don't think that's a fan cable. That may be an old-school Corsair Link analog cable. What PSU do you have? Is it an AXi series? Regardless ... leave it off to the side. You don't need it at this stage.

Another good reference for you : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhX0fOUYd8Q.

I have the HX750i, I think im almost ready to start attaching wires now, but the order is difficult, I think it would be best to attach my AIO coolers' wires first, so I can wire around it later, but I don't know how to wire my Radiator fans, I got told I have to connect these to the radiator but there's nowhere to insert the cables into, am I supposed to plug the fan cables into the cables that come out of the radiator? Then i'm left with 2 cables from the radiator that have to go in my motherboard, depending on what my mb book says. (image300)

image300.jpg.d54a06a45abad18d8b60334ab9fc37e9.jpg

The broad, flat one is the SATA power. That'll connect to SATA power from the Power supply.

There are then 3 fan connectors. The fans will plug into these and the cooler will control the fan speed.

The last one should go on your motherboard's CPU_FAN header. Your motherboard may have an AIO_PUMP header and its manual may suggest that you plug the AIO pump in here. You can do that but then you'll have a CPU Fan error on boot. So plug it into the CPU_FAN header so that you don't get the CPU Fan error UNLESS the pump is 100% dead (in which case, you want the error).

The broad, flat one is the SATA power. That'll connect to SATA power from the Power supply.

There are then 3 fan connectors. The fans will plug into these and the cooler will control the fan speed.

The last one should go on your motherboard's CPU_FAN header. Your motherboard may have an AIO_PUMP header and its manual may suggest that you plug the AIO pump in here. You can do that but then you'll have a CPU Fan error on boot. So plug it into the CPU_FAN header so that you don't get the CPU Fan error UNLESS the pump is 100% dead (in which case, you want the error).

The build seems to be going better now, just some wiring left. The 3 hole cable (image299) from my AIO pump, that one goes into CPU_FAN1 then? Its to the top left of my ram. This is a 4 pin though, and my AIO cable is just a 3pin. Shoulnd't it go there? Or should there be one pin left? Am I supposed to leave the right of left pin? There does not seem to be any 3 pin version of this, I also see CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, and CHA_FAN3/W_PUMP. I wont use these three right? Because i'm plugging my 3 case fans into the commander pro? Thank you :)

image299.jpg.8e39593315f682c0df490172c3301890.jpg

Yes, it'll go into the CPU_FAN header. There's a guide on the fan header that will slip into a notch on the fan connector. It's absolutely fine that it only goes on 3 of the 4 pins ... those headers will support both 3 and 4 pin fans.

Can we get some pictures?

And how's it feel to be using a system that you put your own blood, sweat and tears into? ;-)

Sure thing, along with my build I built a new room, would love some feedback on my first build/desk. I have a potato camera though, but a friend will come over tonight i'll be sure to make some better quality photos with that.

Definitely feels satisfying to see it running, suddenly I feel like I know what im doing lol. Pretty happy with my cable/device management in the back, upfront its not perfect but i'm happy with it. Except I accidentally made my drives MDR instead of GPT, but thats fixed now. Only thing that isn't working is my H150I Pro cooler, it doesn't show up in my iCue, i'll make a thread for that though.

Archived