Corsair Community

H110i fans dropping down to 380 rpm.

Astral85

Occasionally Link is reporting my fans to be running at 380 rpm despite running at fixed 40%. Not sure whether this is a software misreading or if the fans have actually lowered their rpm, but last I checked other hardware monitoring software was reporting the fans at around 780 rpm while Link was reporting 380 rpm.

Not sure if this is related but should the CPU fan header that the H110i connects too be set to PWM? I have ML140 Pro on the rad which are PWM.

I suspect you should use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra to update the cooler and wonder if any of the other information needs to be updated.

The H110i is SATA powered so the BIOS fan header setting don't really matter.

Which other software? You need to check with the support for that software as to what is happening.

It would be easier to help if you posted some screen shots.

I could comment further if you posted the initial SIV screen + [Cooling Status] + [Link Fans] screens from my SIV utility.

Specs updated!

Other software: HWiNFO 64. I don't think there's anything wrong with their software, the misreading appears to be with Link...

I will get some screens from SIV (hopefully when misbehaving)

Here is a Link screenshot:

Link_fans_at_381_rpm.png

For now it would be ideal if you did not use HWiNFO so I can be 100% it's not having an effect. I expect it's not, but the only way to be 100% sure is not to have it active.

What would be ideal is to have one screen shot as above, but also showing the CL4 about panel so I can be sure of the CL4 version. The same screen shot also needs to show [Link Fans] so I can see what SIV reports when CL4 reports about 380 RPM.

After taking this also do [Cooling Status] + the initial SIV screens. I just need to see those two panels, not the whole screen.

I'm using version 4.6.0.86. The latest version needs admin to run that I'm aware of which is not ideal from a standard account. I can't remember why exactly but I had to revert to a lower version.

This is only happening randomly. I have just happened to open Link an saw the fans at 380 rpm, it's happened about twice now that I'm aware of. What I can do is run SIV for a while and try to capture screenshots next time it happens.

Both [Link Fans] + [Cooling Status] will report the min + max which should provide some insight.

Were you using an old version of SIV I would only be inclined support you if you used the latest, but I am unsure of the Corsair position.

Have you reported the "needs admin" via https://support.corsair.com/and asked for this to be changed? If not you should do and I would be interested to hear what they say.

I'm not sure what you mean in your second line.

Basically Corsair may say you need to use the latest CL4 release and unless you do then they can't/won't help you.

You should ask Corsair for clarification on this.

Are you still willing to investigate the issue the issue I have with this version?

Maybe I will install the latest version again to remember what my issue with the need for admin was. It may have have been that it would not start with Windows under a standard account this way.

There are three questions that need to be answered.

1. Do SIV and CL 4.6 report the same
  2. Do SIV and CL 4.8 report the same
  3. If there are differences what should you do

Once #1 + #2 are known then we can decide on #3.

CL4 is not my utility so I can't fix it and you will have to get Corsair to address any issues.

All I can do is try and help you pin down if the issue is within the H110i hardware or a bug in CL4.

Very strange. Given both CL4 + SIV report the impossibly low speed then something is wonky.

The SIV H110i sample counts are OK, so there are no protocol issues and my guess is that the H110i firmware is in a strange state.

The reported speed hardly changes (+-1) which is unusual.

When it's in this state what happens to the speed if you disable then enable the H110i by pressing [Restart] on [Link Devices]? I suspect the speed won't change.

With the system running if you unplug/re-plug the H110i SATA power does it start working sensibly again? I suspect it will.

Is it impossible for the fans to run at 380 rpm? Have a look at this screenshot below, I've just noticed this myself, the minimum 372. Strangely though I cannot go any lower than 40% fixed which is 780 rpm :sigh!:

When Link is reporting 380 rpm I can open the configure fan window where it looks just the same as screenshot below (40% fixed) and just hit the apply button where it will start reporting 780 rpm again.

Are you still adamant the CPU motherboard header the H110i is connected to has no effect whether set to DC or PWM?

Link_Configure_Fan.png

1. Is it impossible for the fans to run at 380 rpm? Have a look at this screenshot below, I've just noticed this myself, the minimum 372. Strangely though I cannot go any lower than 40% fixed which is 780 rpm :sigh!:
  2. When Link is reporting 380 rpm I can open the configure fan window where it looks just the same as screenshot below (40% fixed) and just hit the apply button where it will start reporting 780 rpm again.
  3. Are you still adamant the CPU motherboard header the H110i is connected to has no effect whether set to DC or PWM?

1. I suspect I specified "SHOULD be impossible" and if not I should have done.
  2. Given this then I expect the H110i firmware had gone wonky and advise you to log a call via https://support.corsair.com/ asking for this to be addressed.
  3. Yes and to me it's obvious as the H110i is SATA powered and only pin-3 is connected which is the pump speed.
  4. Were you using SIV to control your H110i then I could help you look further, but as you are using CL4 only Corsair can sensibly help you.

Why the need for bbcode?

I feel you should use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#list as I have done as this makes it easy for me to reply to multiple questions.

This is the last time I will number them for you.

1. I suspect I specified "SHOULD be impossible" and if not I should have done.
  2. Given this then I expect the H110i firmware had gone wonky and advise you to log a call via https://support.corsair.com/ asking for this to be addressed.
  3. Yes and to me it's obvious as the H110i is SATA powered and only pin-3 is connected which is the pump speed.
  4. Were you using SIV to control your H110i then I could help you look further, but as you are using CL4 only Corsair can sensibly help you.

I feel you should use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#list

Why do you think the firmware has gone wonky? If it is a firmware issue is there nothing I can do on my end?

Pin 2-3 on the CPU header report fan speed right? How are PWM fans handled on an H110i? Does it not care whether they are DC or PWM fans?

Why the need for bbcode?

Occasionally Link is reporting my fans to be running at 380 rpm despite running at fixed 40%. Not sure whether this is a software misreading or if the fans have actually lowered their rpm, but last I checked other hardware monitoring software was reporting the fans at around 780 rpm while Link was reporting 380 rpm.

Not sure if this is related but should the CPU fan header that the H110i connects too be set to PWM? I have ML140 Pro on the rad which are PWM.

This is just a bug in the Corsair Link software while running the MB monitoring app alongside it. I have had this same problem occur in every link version. All that you have to do is restart you system and it should show normal readings.

If you look at the core temps and fan speeds they are doubled. Once you restart the system and open the link program again it should show the correct amount of temps and fan speeds. This is commonly known to occur with Asus AI suite.

This is just a bug in the Corsair Link software while running the MB monitoring app alongside it. I have had this same problem occur in every link version. All that you have to do is restart you system and it should show normal readings.

If you look at the core temps and fan speeds they are doubled. Once you restart the system and open the link program again it should show the correct amount of temps and fan speeds. This is commonly known to occur with Asus AI suite.

This is interesting, thanks for sharing. I do run AI Suite, so is that the MB monitoring app your referring to?

I guess the concern is that this happens quite randomly without no instant indication. My main concern would be if the fans dropped down to 380 rpm during heavy CPU load. Maybe it won't hurt to notify Corsair about this...

I do run AI Suite

1. ASUS AI Suite fails to use the locks to interlock hardware access and if you choose to run AI Suite you should not run any other monitoring software, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037.
  2. Much of the time you will "get away" with doing this, but sooner or later strange and unexpected things will happen.
  3. If you choose to have AI Suite and SIV active at the same time then I can't and won't support SIV.
  4. There are many posts about AI Suite causing issues for CL4 and advise you not to have both active.
  5. If you look at Menu->Help->Lock Handle you should see that SIV and CL 4.8.0.82 do use the locks so can be safely active at the same time :biggrin:.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31019&stc=1&d=1504862931

1183706778_LockHandle.png.535cb11d87ca36ef1a1b3a89e8e7a0aa.png

• 4 weeks later...

Archived