Corsair Community

Crystal 460X RGB Top Radiator

SeriousTom

• 11 months later...

I know this is an oldish thread but I'm considering putting a rad up top. Currently I have a h80i v2 cooling my GPU, even though it keeps temp down being a 120mm it requires a considerable fan speed which while not awfully loud I am a bit sensitive to it, and kind of one of the reasons I'm cooling the GPU with an AIO in the first place.

I would like to put a h100i v2 up top instead, big problem with that is I have Teamgroup Nighthawk RGB RAM which is not only very tall but also spreads out at the ends making it as wide as the very top & bottom of the plastic RAM slot clips:

MY08MTG_167950_800x800.jpg

I'm actually thinking of using slim fans, problem most on the market look like junk however Noctua have NF-A12x15 PWM's, combined with the stated dimensions of the h100i v2 rad being 30mm thick that would make it a total of 45mm required depth.

Do you think I could get away with it?

It sounds problematic. The 15mm fans might make it work, but also know 15mm fans are terrible on a radiators. Depth is consequential for pressure and this why those big hulking industrial models are 38mm+ thick instead of 25mm and faster.

Take a look at some internet shots of a 240mm cooler mounted up top. If would be a shame to do all the work and be happy with how it looks.

The easiest solution might be to address the GPU radiator/fan combo directly. What kind of speeds are you running on the fan? Some of the auto fan settings on kits keep the fan pretty high (1800 rpm), which is loud but obviously offers better performance for reviewers. In the summer time I might let mine drift up to 1500, but right now I am playing AC Origins on a Titan X (P) hooked into a little 120mm. I only need about 1200 rpm to keep it at 43-44C. Just this week I started playing around with adding a second fan to the stack. In games where things down clock it is able to cycle heat out pretty quickly on the pauses. Origins, with its constant up GPU clock, only drops 1-2C, but that also means I can get away with running just over 1000 rpm. That isn't very loud for a 120mm fan. This might be something to try before unbalancing everything else.

Archived