Corsair Community

Corsair H110i GT Fan rattle problem

velocityx

Hey Guys

So i'm having a bit of a problem with my Corsair H110i GT cooler.

This is my setup below. You can clearly tell which brand I like a lot :p::cool:

http://oi65.tinypic.com/28atawo.jpg

However, since getting my H110i im having a bit of an issue with one of the fans.

Between 700-1100 RPM it emits this weird noise that doesnt go away unless I speed up the fan or keep it at 600rpm. The photo is right after installation so a bit messy with the cabling however I dont have any cables hitting the fan blades.

I recorded a video with my iphone so you guys can judge for yourself.

Is the fan faulty? The video goes through me changing RPM from 500 to 1000 and back to 500 at the end.

[ame]https://youtu.be/r-J_HabxpdU[/ame]

It sounds like one of your SP140's has a bearing issue. Contact customer support and see if they will drop one in the mail for you without having to RMA the whole thing. Now the trickier part will figuring out which of the 4 is making all the noise. If this really is a bearing issue, the problem should also be present when holding it in your hand (while running).

Velocity,

As C-attack mentioned looks like you have a bad fan, I would submit a ticket and link the forum here, we should be able to send you the needed fan immediately.

You can submit a ticket for a replacement on our support website at http://corsair.force.com. Please make sure you attach a copy of your receipt to your ticket so that we may verify and honor the warranty. Our Tech Support will then review your ticket and give you feedbacks within 1-2 business days.

I had the exact same noise coming from both my fans on my brand new H110i GT. I had both replaced by corsair and both of the NEW ones exhibit the same damn noise right out of the box!

when the fans are flipped to blow air upwards, they will start to "bounce" and create this noise when the rpms are increased past 600 for me, and noise continues and gets worse up until about 1000-1200rpm where they become quiet again. (well, quiet as in no more hub rattle) if you look closely at your video, you can actually see the blades/hub "bouncing" as the noise becomes evident.

the problem lies with the design of the fans "axle" or spindle shaft and how the hub is attached...

There is way to much play in the hub. all 4 of the fans I have (the 2 original which are less than 6 months old, and both of the new fans I was sent) all have this play in the hub which allows the actual fan blades to move back and forth which results in the noise.

The noise for me is only present when the fans are flipped and are blowing air upwards; if they are pointed downward or put on there side blowing horizontally, the noise is not present at all throughout the whole rpm range.

basically what is happening is the fan blades, when positioned to blow air up, are being suspended by the magnetic pull of the ring magnet on the motors electrical assembly, and when you start increasing the power (and thus increasing the rpm) the magnetic field is weakened and the blades drop and bounce back up resulting in the "axle" or shaft bottoming out and causing the "rattle" or noise heard.

How do I know this? Well, lets forget about my electro-mechanical training/background... I simply know because I took one apart (as well as many others for different applications... the ASUS 280's and 290's with the directcu II's are notorious for failing because of the same cheap design, different type of fan,yes, but same issue.) I yanked off the blades from the hub/shaft (which is not easy to do and can result in breaking the blades or thin motor supports that come off of the body)

The shaft is held in the assembly by a plastic circular retaining clip between the pressed and glued on motor assembly and the plastic body. the shaft with this clip is dropped down into the bearing BEFORE the electrical/motor assembly is pressed over it; Then the blade assembly is pressed onto the shaft, which pushes against this thin circular plastic retainer that bends, resulting in the shaft not fully seating into the blade assembly, and instead, being bottomed out inside the base of the housing.

doing this leaves no easy way to "shim" the shaft/blade assembly, and results in too much play. (also leaves no way to clean out the motor of dust and re-grease the bearing... such a cheap design done to specifically cut costs while making it a guarantee the end user will have to buy new fans eventually, since they can't take them apart and clean/lube them like you can with better quality fans, and could with most older fans.)

a simple way to avoid such manufacturing screw ups would have been to put a small lightweight spring at the base of the bearing under the shaft, or one between the blade assembly and top of the motor; OR, too stop making cheap components like this and manufacture the fans the way they used to be made, by having the shaft mounted to the blade assembly, and locking it in place with a retaining clip at the REAR of the fan like it used to be. (anyone remember the stickers, pulling them off and finding a little rubber plug which covered the retaining clip, O-ring, and kept in the lubricant?)

There is no quick fix for these 'new" kind of fans except to toss them out and replace them with ones that are of better quality, but if you're careful, they can be disassembled and shimmed properly to stop the noise.

I plan on taking apart the rest I have, replacing the crap bronze sleeve bearing with sealed roller bearings and shimming the assembly properly so I never have to replace them again for the life of the cooler. Ya know, the way they should have been manufactured from the start...

Yes, the lack of suspension in the inverted position is a common problem with "Fluid Dynamic Bearings" (FDB) and the other marketing terms used for the essentially the same thing. Unfortunately, that bearing type is found in a large portion of the products of available on the market right now. However, the usual result is a louder sound profile, albeit an even one. The original poster's issue is quite different with unusual changes in pitch and strange reverberations. This is a defect in manufacturing, not a design issue. However, you are correct. If you want to lowest possible noise profile, an inverted FDB bearing fan may not be the best choice, although I would not expect a 2000 rpm 140mm to a quiet fan either way.

I had the same issue with my original set of fans. I submitted a ticket to Corsair, and Corsair sent me replacement fans. Both of the replacement fans were quiet for a week or two, then one started to develop the rattle. I contacted Corsair again, and they sent me two additional fans. They sent me a prepaid label and asked for the other fans to be returned.

So far, both of my current fans are quiet throughout the speed range, but I still hear the rattle from at least one of the fans upon starting my computer. The rattle is only there for about a half-second, then it is gone. I am hoping these fans don't develop the rattling.

I find it a bit strange that Corsair would include this type of fan with their cooler, since the fan is designed to be used horizontally, blowing air upward through the cooler.

Archived