Corsair Community

Corsair H110i GT pump sounds like it's vibrating

Nerevarine

So my H110i GT pump has been a huge disappointment from the start, when I first turned it on I thought it was defective since it has a very distinct hissing sound, that my old H60 didn't have. The H60 was dead silent, always.

I have gotten a bit more used to that noise now, and it doesn't stand out as much as I felt it did in the beginning. My build is a hybrid cooled gaming PC, which idles VERY quiet, the way I like it in my living room when I'm using the PC for movies and music etc.

Now to the current issue. The pump sounds almost like it is vibrating. It sounds like a fan is weighted wrong or something, but since the noise stays even when I turn all fans off temporarily and only seemed to go away when I unplugged the pump briefly, it has to be the H110i GT pump that is making this noise. It is by no means loud, it's just very frustrating since my PC is otherwise so quiet.

Is this the norm for this pump? A vibrating-fan-like sound, together with the high pitched buzzing? I have felt the pump when it's on and I cant feel any actual vibration, so it seems to be all internal with only that noise escaping.

Could definitely be the fans. My H110i GT had rattling noises from the fans no matter what speed I had them running at or what orientation I had it mounted. Wound up replacing with Noctua A14 iPPC-2000's which push more air and run quieter anyways. It is a pretty common complaint that the SP140L fans included rattle. They don't have anti-vibration mounts and the frame of the fan itself is pretty flexible which seems to cause the blades to rub against it once they have the pressure from being mounted. Honestly, with the price of the cooler though I can understand why the fans aren't the best otherwise it would cost much more. So, I would say try turning the fans off and see if the noise goes away. If so, grab yourself some of the Noctuas and call it good! If not, then RMA I guess :\

Is this the norm for this pump? A vibrating-fan-like sound, together with the high pitched buzzing? I have felt the pump when it's on and I cant feel any actual vibration, so it seems to be all internal with only that noise escaping.

The buzzing is annoying enough, but might be remedied by trying another SATA connector or power pathway. However, mechanical noise from the pump is a dead end and the unit needs to be replaced. It will not get better in time, only worse. You can start an RMA through the Corsair site or try and return it through your end retailer, which ever is the better deal for you. Corsair will make you pay shipping back to them and with a limited number of Global return centers, that may be a factor in your decision. Unfortunately, a certain percentage of these units come off the assembly line with defects and the pump the most common problem area.

Yes, like snapper said the noise stays when I turn ALL the fans off in my PC. No other moving parts at all, since the only mechanical HDD usually sleeps. So fans ain't the issue. Also, I don't even use the Corsair fans since they have that frustrating PWM ticking. Noctua all the way.

Pump is running in quiet mode, in performance it's unbearable. Pushing on the pump or fiddling with it does nothing. It's mounted firmly and seems stable in every aspect.

The buzzing is annoying enough, but might be remedied by trying another SATA connector or power pathway. However, mechanical noise from the pump is a dead end and the unit needs to be replaced. It will not get better in time, only worse. You can start an RMA through the Corsair site or try and return it through your end retailer, which ever is the better deal for you. Corsair will make you pay shipping back to them and with a limited number of Global return centers, that may be a factor in your decision. Unfortunately, a certain percentage of these units come off the assembly line with defects and the pump the most common problem area.

Good to know. I will try a different SATA solution, may even try getting some volt modulation in on the loop and lower the voltage just a tiny bit to see what happens. Not sure this would qualify as an RMA-valid mechanical noise though, since it's so faint. I've just gotten used to the complete lack of background noise when the PC is on, and everything new stands out. Might just get a new case with better dampening and sturdier build quality. My Antec P100 is disappointing. NZXT H440 or Fractal Design R5 should be a step up...?

If you can hear the pump at the lower speed setting over the fans, then some thing isn't quite right. It's possible your vibration is traveling up one hose into the radiator and then interacting with the chassis, amplifying the noise. There are things you can do to address that, like slipping a thin neoprene gasket between the radiator and the case. However, the vibration is still originating in the pump motor and mechanical issues don't work themselves out. I've been in your situation and taken substantial steps to bandage the problem, but ultimately the issue is likely to get worse. Your options with the end retailer surely have a time limit. Your option with Corsair is much lengthier, but having been through this I recommend skipping the self-torture and replacing the unit.

Archived