Corsair Community

Mistyping keys

acol

I have a 3-year K90. Since a few, when I press some keys, additional characters appear. An example is better than an explanation:

I will type b and the result will be b'

n b'ecomes nè

a becomes a& and so on.

The result for a same key is not necessarily the same each time.

I re-installed the firmware and updated. No result. Now, I am typing on a simple Logitech. Let's have a look at the same sentence with the K90.

I8 br'e"-i!nuèsta&lle"d the" fi!br'mwa&br'e" a&nuèd nuèpà=da&te"d;

Easy, isn't it ?

Any suggestion is most welcome.

Alain

Even the most expensive products fail with time.

And some fail to deliver what they claim on time. :laughing:

I'd expect a "high end" keyboard to last a little more than 3 years. Most cheap "low end" keyboards last that long.

Ooops, I posted before I said I would (end of April, when K** keyboards finally do as described).

Thanks Justin. But if it is so, this will be my last Corsair product forever. Failure at this price is not acceptable.

You could try Logitech or Razor course their keyboards do fail around the 3 year mark too. Some of the same keyboards last longer then others, nothing you can do other then not buying one. Also failure should be expected and its a keyboard past its warranty.

And some fail to deliver what they claim on time. :laughing:

I'd expect a "high end" keyboard to last a little more than 3 years. Most cheap "low end" keyboards last that long.

Ooops, I posted before I said I would (end of April, when K** keyboards finally do as described).

Please just return the crap keyboard shut up and go away. It's bad enough with you being whining and now your trying to take a thread off topic.

I tried on another PC.

I also had reinstalled the firmware.

What is strange is that typing the same key doesn't give the same result in another session.

How can I contact Corsair James ?

Alain

Also failure should be expected and its a keyboard past its warranty.

Is it to be expected that a relatively expensive, and so called "high end" keyboard should fail once the warranty has run out ? Maybe several years after the warranty ends you would expect failures.

Three years is not that long for a keyboard to last, unless it is being used heavily. A lot is made about Cherry MX keys lasting for around 50 million operations. If you press a key about 45000 times per day for 3 years, you'll probably wear it out.

In this case, it sounds like something has gone wrong with the keyboard's electronics, rather than switch failure.

Is it to be expected that a relatively expensive, and so called "high end" keyboard should fail once the warranty has run out ? Maybe several years after the warranty ends you would expect failures.

Three years is not that long for a keyboard to last, unless it is being used heavily. A lot is made about Cherry MX keys lasting for around 50 million operations. If you press a key about 45000 times per day for 3 years, you'll probably wear it out.

In this case, it sounds like something has gone wrong with the keyboard's electronics, rather than switch failure.

Yeah, it sounds like his K90 is sending garbage info instead of how it normally should. Definitely an electrical component failure.

the K70 is not at all "high end" its just simply gamer grade (so the things inside are gamer focused like macros and profiles and rebinding). Its a run of the mill mass production keyboard thats just better then its rivals.

And yes i do expect failure after 2 years, thats how companies make warranty's. They go we dont want to have to replace more than X percent of products. they find out how many fail in say 1 mill. from that they find the number of years they can offer while not going above X percent of RMA products. That applies to all product no matter the quality.

Lastly not all Cherry MX keys will last for 50 mill presses. there are ones that fail for any number of reasons, and it's more likely a mechanical part broke rather than a electronic part. but in his case it does seem like a electronic failure.

Of course some Cherry MX switches will fail before they`ve been pressed 50 million times, but they claim that they should last for 50 million presses, and I suspect that the majority of them do.

I`ve owned a few cheap, non-mechanical keyboards. I`ve also supplied a fair few "cheap" keyboards with systems that I`ve built. I can't remember any of them failing, even after several years of use. I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard that's about 4 years old. It still works perfectly, but the lettering on the keys is wearing out. It cost less than a quarter of the price I paid for this K70 (and came with a wireless mouse that I still use).

This K70 feels well made. I know that it has Cherry MX switches, so I expect that they'll last many years. If it's true that Corsair only give 2 years warranty on these keyboards because they aren't expected to last not much longer than that, it's not a very good incentive for prospective purchasers to buy one. I don't expect it to last forever, but I did think that I wouldn't have to buy a replacement for at least 5 years (luck permitting, of course there's going to be the odd failure here and there). As it is, this one is 6 months old and has a couple of faulty LEDs.

Of course some Cherry MX switches will fail before they`ve been pressed 50 million times, but they claim that they should last for 50 million presses, and I suspect that the majority of them do.

I`ve owned a few cheap, non-mechanical keyboards. I`ve also supplied a fair few "cheap" keyboards with systems that I`ve built. I can't remember any of them failing, even after several years of use. I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard that's about 4 years old. It still works perfectly, but the lettering on the keys is wearing out. It cost less than a quarter of the price I paid for this K70 (and came with a wireless mouse that I still use).

This K70 feels well made. I know that it has Cherry MX switches, so I expect that they'll last many years. If it's true that Corsair only give 2 years warranty on these keyboards because they aren't expected to last not much longer than that, it's not a very good incentive for prospective purchasers to buy one. I don't expect it to last forever, but I did think that I wouldn't have to buy a replacement for at least 5 years (luck permitting, of course there's going to be the odd failure here and there). As it is, this one is 6 months old and has a couple of faulty LEDs.

50 mill is just the number of presses that they should have leaving the factory. They can be damage during shipping to Corsair and then from Corsair to shops, and then from stores to users. They can be damaged at any point so they will fail early.

Congrats you just compare a apple to a orange. Youre comparing Cherry MX vs what ever crap is in MS keyboards, rubber dome im guessing. And yes rubber domes are only rated at 5mill vs 50mill but their also less likely to be damaged during shipping.

Also its great that you accept the odd failure, because one key failing is that "odd failure here and there" To the dying LED you have 2 years to RMA it.

You could try Logitech or Razor course their keyboards do fail around the 3 year mark too. Some of the same keyboards last longer then others, nothing you can do other then not buying one. Also failure should be expected and its a keyboard past its warranty.

Do you have a source for this completely unqualified claim? I've owned numerous Logitech keyboards and none of them failed at the three year mark. I'm currently using a four year old Razer keyboard which is in perfect working order. It's completely reasonable to expect a quality keyboard to last for more than three years.

As a side note, in many countries the manufacturer's obligations extend beyond their stated warranty period. For example, under Australian law, a product must remain fit for the purpose it is commonly used for throughout its lifespan and this overrides any warranty provided by the manufacturer. If an expensive keyboard with a three year warranty fails after three years and one day, a consumer is still entitled to a refund or repair, unless the manufacturer can convince a court that no reasonable person would expect it to work at that point. If the OP is in a jurisdiction with similar laws, they may be entitled to a refund or repair.

50 mill is just the number of presses that they should have leaving the factory. They can be damage during shipping to Corsair and then from Corsair to shops, and then from stores to users. They can be damaged at any point so they will fail early.

Yes, they can be damaged at any time, although I doubt that many do during shipping. They're more likely to be damaged by the end user (spilling liquid on the keyboard etc).

The point I made was that Cherry claim a lifespan of 50million key presses, I suspect that the majority of the millions of keys they produce are reliable, and achieve what they claim.

This might be a clue to how reliable the switches are http://www.maltron.com/keyboard-info/cherry-key-switches.

The actual reliability of a keyboard using Cherry MX switches is likely to be determined more by the manufacturer of the keyboard itself than the Cherry switches.

As a side note, in many countries the manufacturer's obligations extend beyond their stated warranty period. For example, under Australian law, a product must remain fit for the purpose it is commonly used for throughout its lifespan and this overrides any warranty provided by the manufacturer. If an expensive keyboard with a three year warranty fails after three years and one day, a consumer is still entitled to a refund or repair, unless the manufacturer can convince a court that no reasonable person would expect it to work at that point. If the OP is in a jurisdiction with similar laws, they may be entitled to a refund or repair.

Correct. In the UK it's 6 years.

A case will be decided on what is "reasonable" to expect from a product.

If a cheap product fails three weeks after the warranty runs out, the owner will probably just replace it. If the owner wanted to take the case to court, the judge would probably dismiss it, as it's understandable that a cheap product is more likely to fail sooner than a more expensive one.

In the case of these K70 keyboards (and most other mechanical keyboards), I think it's reasonable to expect them to work reliably for at least 5 years, as long as they aren't mistreated or used 24/7.

Wow I'm jealous, 3 and 6 years. Here in Italy the warranty is 2 years and after that you're on your own. I had 2 Razer keyboards and they both failed after the 2 years mark (the first one 2 days after actually) and after that I was on my own.

The first time I thought it was just a coincidence but after the second I can safely say that they are cheaply built and way overpriced. My new K70 RGB in comparison is just gorgeous and built with much more quality that I have ever seen.

Do you have a source for this completely unqualified claim? I've owned numerous Logitech keyboards and none of them failed at the three year mark. I'm currently using a four year old Razer keyboard which is in perfect working order. It's completely reasonable to expect a quality keyboard to last for more than three years.

No I don't need a source because you would have to be a moron to think that not a single Logitech or Razor keyboard has failed at the 3 year mark. Also if you read what I said about how companies calculate the warrenty period then you would know you got a good keyboard out of the keyboard lot.

Also how long everyone expects a keyboard to last is just what they want it to last. Btw that law doesn't extend your warreenty, it's there to prevent companies from giving BS warreenty periods like say 3 months on a mid range keyboard (k70, chroma, g910). Because it's easy to argue that case. Say Logitech gives a 3 month warreenty and razor offers 2 years. Similar products but one company is obviously trying to screw you. Then you can take them to court and go well that's not right. Laws aren't just based on what the consumer thinks. Most countries have some form of protection for the consumer for when they try and screw customers with a crappy warranty

Most countries have some form of protection for the consumer for when they try and screw customers with a crappy warranty

The sale of goods act in the UK is not so much about protecting consumers from crappy warranties (most retailers will offer a 12 month warranty anyway), it's there to protect consumers from being sold goods that are crappy quality. Other countries may have different laws, but the UK consumer does have rights under the law which makes a lot of sense.

Buy a cheap toaster, TV, radio, keyboard etc. If it fails within the normal warranty, no problem. If it fails after the warranty ends, buy a new one, no problem.

If you spend more an a relatively expensive product, you would quite rightly expect it to last a fair bit longer than the warranty period. If it fails after the warranty runs out (within 6 years of purchase), and you feel this is unreasonable (and the fault is not due to excessive wear and tear or damage caused by yourself), you can make a legal claim against the retailer. In a majority of cases the court will force the retailer to remedy the situation.

Those are the facts.

It's a matter of opinion if you think that a K70, or any other mechanical keyboard is "relatively expensive", and that it should last for a fair bit longer than the warranty provided by the manufacturer. I happen think that a cheap membrane keyboard can't be expected to last for a very long time (say 2 years or more of daily use), as it is a cheap product manufactured from relatively cheap materials and components. A K70 for example costs about 10 times more than many cheap membrane keyboards, and I think most purchasers would want and expect it to last a reasonably long time, say 5 years ?

If I thought that my K70 is likely to fail after just 2 or 3 years or moderate use, I wouldn't have bought it. I don't expect it to last forever, but my expectation is that I won't have to replace it for 5 years or more. It feels well built, it's quite heavy (usually a sign of quality), and it uses Cherry MX switches. That's what I`ve paid for, and therefore I expect it to last longer than a cheap keyboard would. As far as Razer's and Logitech's reliability goes, I don't have much experience. If their products are unreliable, it is of no real interest to me, because I chose and bought a Corsair keyboard which I expect to work properly and last for a reasonable period of time. Of course, even "quality" product can fail, both inside and outside of the warranty period, but it's down to manufacturers of "quality" products to make sure that as few of them fail as possible, so that their reputation is maintained and they keep their market share.

So your telling me the rules in the UK are so lax they actually put "relatively expensive product" anyone could claim that they think a product is expansive and needs a 6 year warranty.

Products that are good will come with better warranty. Crappy products dont have as long of a warranty as their "expensive"

ones.

Well youve seen how bad this company is they cant get anything working. You better go return it.

So your telling me the rules in the UK are so lax they actually put "relatively expensive product" anyone could claim that they think a product is expansive and needs a 6 year warranty.

Yes, I am telling you that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2875453/The-six-year-warranty-right-shops-don-t-tell-customers-Law-says-retailers-responsible-dealing-complaints-official-guarantee-expires.html

I believe after 6 months the consumer has to prove the device is faulty when they bought it. Also the seller (not the manufacturer) would have to deal with the claim. After all that you still wouldnt get a full refund. Its not a blank the consumer has 6 years, deal with it.

So ok if you want you can take a 170$ keyboard and attempt to bring it to the tech store after 3 years and try for a refund. Of course they would want proof of purchase from them. Then you have to prove that the fault was from the manufacturer. The most likely place where you'll end up is the courthouse suing the store? You still require a judge to side with you.

Ok your rules are very vague, but sure you could possibly have a 6 year warranty.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/11296784/Shops-accused-of-denying-six-year-warranty-right.html

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn02239.pdf

Archived