Corsair Community

Corsair H80i GT sounds like a refridgerator

Auxilare

• Corsair Employee
Just got my H80i GT in place inside my bitfenix prodigy case (routing the tubing was hard enough) only to hear this damn noise.

It's constant when my case is standing normal, however when i lay it over on the side the noise actually disappears.

I'm assuming there is nothing to do about this other then RMA it and hope for a more silent unit?

It works great though, cooling is awesome and my prossesor does not reach higher then 40 degrees when i stress test it.

I went and checked with the cooling PM, and the replacement H80i GTs and H100i GTXes have been screened for noise. So if you RMA your H80i GT, you should be sent one that doesn't have the issue.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went and checked with the cooling PM, and the replacement H80i GTs and H100i GTXes have been screened for noise. So if you RMA your H80i GT, you should be sent one that doesn't have the issue.

Is it normal that in performance mode the pump is much more audible?

After shaking the unit my H80i stopped producing the rattling noise but is still noisy when in performance mode, should I RMA?

• Corsair Employee

The pump should be more audible in performance mode. How much more audible is the subject of some debate. The H80i GT/H100i GTX pump, as it shipped, seems to be on the cusp of irritating for some people, with some units going over the edge. This is something we're absolutely fixing.

How you want to handle it is completely up to you. If you're worried about unit quality or noise, absolutely go ahead and RMA it. We'll take care of you however you want to proceed.

Sid Emot I have another H80i GT and i've watched your 3 videos. On the last one the noise comes from air in the pump as you pointed out. Before sending the unit to RMA i would suggest you try to run the cooler with the radiator not touching the case, take the whole radiator & fan unit and put them out and check the sound. In my case the cooler fan made a vibration that made the whole case sound like an old fridge, it's strange because it happens only with the Corsair fans that came with the cooler, other fans have a different vibration (frequency?) and don't produce that annoying noise, but the ones that came with the cooler do.

Put your hand on the tubes going to the radiator, if you can feel a vibration there (other than water passing through the inside) it most probably comes from the fan and not the pump (at the beginning I was convinced it was the pump, but no). It took me some time to find out this vibration, I dissasembled my whole system and went over every screw in my case and tightened it, but only after adding silicon fan mounts between fan & rad and fan & case the sound changed completely and now there is no rattling at all, just the sound of the pump (too loud for my taste, but within acceptable levels and quieter than an air solution) and the air passing through the fan.

My next move will probably be acquiring Noctua fans to reduce noise and vibration even more since the fans supplied with the cooler are not exactly quiet and their vibration is too high and annoying.

Dustin, maybe you might want to tell the guys at the cooling PM to take a look at the fans supplied with the coolers, because I was ready to send the unit back to the store when i found my problem was about this fan vibration and not the pump. I would not be surprised if some people are returning their perfectly running coolers because of the noise produced by the fan vibrations, that's how bad it is, and the sound produced is very difficult to locate (i was completely sure it was the pump).

• Corsair Employee

Fan vibration is always going to be a potential problem, not just with our liquid coolers but with basically any type of cooling.

We did actually determine that it was an issue with the pump, though. Not a functional one or a reliability one, but a noise one. We reproduced it internally and I personally experienced it, and I've seen the minor engineering revisions being put into place to prevent it from affecting future units.

Did anyone recieve their RMA'd unit and get to test it? The sound is annoying, yes, but if there is a chance i'll just recieve a unit with the same problem again then i'm not willing to disassemble my whole mini-itx build to get it out :sigh!:

If you guys have tested the newly recieved units please post an update on the noise issue :):

-Renolz

I have made a ticket and have got an approved RMA at the Corsair Force site, but what i'm wondering is, do i have to pay for freight expenses when my unit was already defective when purchased?

Atleast it seems that way over at the customer service.

What's your opinion on this matter as you have been very active in the discussion about these noisy pumps.

Also, when it says i have to include all cables, fans, radiator and pump, do i have to dismount and take out the mounting bracket aswell and send with it?

Would save me hours of pc building if i could leave the back panel mounting bracket on.

Hope to get a reply soon so we can finish this matter :)

-Renolz

• Corsair Employee
I have made a ticket and have got an approved RMA at the Corsair Force site, but what i'm wondering is, do i have to pay for freight expenses when my unit was already defective when purchased?

Atleast it seems that way over at the customer service.

What's your opinion on this matter as you have been very active in the discussion about these noisy pumps.

Also, when it says i have to include all cables, fans, radiator and pump, do i have to dismount and take out the mounting bracket aswell and send with it?

Would save me hours of pc building if i could leave the back panel mounting bracket on.

Hope to get a reply soon so we can finish this matter :)

-Renolz

Hi Renolz, normally for our RMA process, the customer is responsible for shipping charges to send the item back while we would pay to send it back to you. However, we do make exceptions to this policy such as having a product less than 30 days. In these situations, our customer service team will provide a shipping label/call tag from UPS so you can return the item to us at no expense. Feel free to contact them via the ticket or by phone and they can help you arrange this.

In terms of what to return, we only require the cooler and the fans it comes with. You don't need to return the mounting hardware (backets, screws, washers, etc.).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, just got my 3rd H80i gt...yes 3rd, I got the extended warranty so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping...

18712150314102138, thats the number on the rad, I am testing it on the Fan header so i dont have to repaste again..still making noises, could you please tell me if this one belongs to a faulty batch, could you please tell me if you have already solved the issue so I can get a 4th one, or should I just go back and get an old one.

Awaiting your comments

thank you

Hello..still good customer service..but going with the H105..I think you still need to figure out what's wrong with the new ones..

Deeva C: Thank you for contacting Corsair Live Support. How may we assist you today?

You: hi how are you...i was talking to corsair dustin in your fourms..

You: i have purchased 3 h80i gt in Canada and they are all defective..

You: he recommended to do an rma directly with you...

You: but I dont want to pay for shipping as i have already paid for enxted warranty..knowing that this would happen...

You: so..could i get a full refund in the store and get it from you directly??

Deeva C: If you are still under your 30 days with the store you bought them you can take to them and get a refund. We will not refund you for the defective items, as this will be the first RMA for them, we will need to replace them.

You: no i am pass the 30days..they can refund as i paid for extended warranty

Deeva C: If they can refund you at the store, then it's best to proceed with the store. Since we are unable to refund you for the units we will only be able to replace the defective unit.s

Deeva C: units*

You: yes i know that..but Dustin told me to get it directly from you..can i do that without an RMA??

Deeva C: No you need to make a RMA, to receive a replacement.

Deeva C: From the home page of your Corsair support account, please click on the Request an RMA button on the bottom of the page. Follow the prompts to submit your request and an agent will review your case and provide you with additional instructions within 1-2 business days.

Please also attach a copy of your purchase receipt. If you made your purchase online, you may attach a screenshot of your order confirmation.

You: ok..shipping..i need to pay for it both ways??

Deeva C: As per the Corsair Warranty, customers are required to pay shipping and handling charges, as well as any applicable tariffs, duties, taxes and fees necessary to convey the defective item back to Corsair for replacement or exchange. Corsair pays for the replaced item’s outbound shipping to you. We recommend shipping your item via the most economical method which provides a tracking number, as Corsair is not responsible for any lost or misdirected shipments.

You: do i*

You: i see..even if this is my 3rd h80i gt and you are recalling a bunch of them??

Deeva C: At the moment there is no recall on the gt's there was, but those have been taken care of. So shipping the defective unit will be you're responsibility.

You: ok..thanks

• Corsair Employee

We can do RMAs but we're not just going to outright refund you money you gave to someone else. So the best we can do is pay for the shipping label and replace the cooler you send us. Deeva was in messages with me when you hung up.

And no, we're not nor were we ever recalling the H80i GT.

HI Dustin. I must say the Customer followup is great. But this is alarming. can you confirm that you have fix the issues that are causing this? and can you tell us what model or serial numbers have the redesigned parts in them. so we can make sure we are getting new units. To avoid downtime etc.

I am a bit torn between the X41 and a H80i GT if you can help with identifying the model no's with the fixed parts. ill give corsair a go at being my AIO provider. as I am loving the 750D and our conversations have been amazing regarding the feedback, and reaching out to me.

THanks Dustin for being one of the good guys in the tech world!

Archived