Corsair Community

F120 seems dead

mahonni

Hi all,

My F120 is not working properly. I have Win7 installed in it and once I boot it my laptop works perfectly for about 20 seconds. After that, the HDD light in my laptop turns on permanently and the OS freezes. The same behaviour happens if I boot a distro like Ubunto with the USB drive and I access it: It only works for a short time. Scandisks and similar don't work: Using the fastest option I get no errors, while using the slow one hangs after a while, just until the HDD light turns permanently on. The only way to solve this problem is shutting down my laptop, but not just rebooting, since in that case the OS does not even boot.

I've tried to find why is that happening and I think it has trouble writing data in it. I believe at first it works ok because it's using its internal buffer, but once it gets filled it hangs. This is the conclusion I got once I tried to create a folder in the SSD (win7): It looks like it's been created but after shutting down and booting again the folder is not there any more.

So... can you tell me what should I do now? From what I've read, hard formatting the SSD may fix many problems, but I'd like to backup my data first. Knowing my symptoms, does anyone know how can I backup my data all straight, without having to copy for just 20 seconds each time and then rebooting and all again?

Thank you so much.

hi,

My F120 just stopped working (not recognised by laptop BIOS, tested existing laptop with another 5400RPM HDD laptop ok, and tested SSD on another laptops already).

My question is can Corsair able to retain the information on the SSD?

ie. repair the existing SSD?

or attach the Flash module to another controller and download the data to another device...?

Thanks,

• Corsair Employee
I do apologize but we do not repair or try to retain data from end users hardware for legal reasons. Might want to check with your local recovery shop or possible online solutions.

hi,

so what's the internal structure of the F120 SSD, are the SATA controller seperate from the Flash memory module like the existing Disc HDDs where the Disc Platters are seperate from the controller electronics?

Can I buy another new F120 to use the SATA controller and attach to this unit's flash module to recover the data?

I'm aware of the warranty void issues.

Thanks,

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry but no the flash controller will erase any data left in the flash to create the or it would have to be manually erased using like parted Magic.

You can contact a third party data recovery store to see if they can recover any data but its not like a spinning HDD at all and normally once the FAT table or MBR is lost then information is not recoverable.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same symptoms, so this seems to be a common problem!

I do apologize but we do not repair or try to retain data from end users hardware for legal reasons.

But they sell disks which will almost certainly need their data recovered before 12 months of normal use (from my experience), how ironic.

Might want to check with your local recovery shop or possible online solutions.

That costs a LOT of money...

Archived