Corsair Community

Power on Problems with new PSU

DaBoss

After upgrading the power supply from a 400W no-name to a new Corsair TX650 I am unable to power on my system unless I hit the button between 2-20 times. If I connect my original PSU to the main board it powers up fine. When the Corsair is connected the network link light is on and the keyboard light flashes then nothing happens when the power button is pushed. The only difference I see is the white wire missing from the new Corsair. I understand that the connection is not used in today's specs so it has been removed. What else can cause this problem? How do I know if my motherboard is compatible with the new spec and if not is there a work around? My machine has also been rebooting during gaming too, but I think that may be a memory issue, as the 3GB of RAM is new as well. Everything will be working fine, then seamlessly, the POST screen shows up.

• Corsair Employee

First I would make sure that the board supports ATX12v 2.01 or newer PSU specifications, to be sure the PSU is compatible with your motherboard. I would then update the BIOS, load defaults, and then test with just a single memory module and see if there is any difference.

It's also possible that there is a short or a grounding problem with the system which the old PSU is not detecting. You may either want to take the board and PSU out of the case to test, or test the PSU in a different system to see if you have the same issues.

Archived