Corsair Community

Cannot install windows on Force GT 240 GB

I have at this point probably put in nearly 40 hours trying to install Windows 7 Professional 64bit on a Force GT 240GB with zero success.

I have a Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard, with the SSD plugged into one of the Sata 6GB ports. I either have windows stuck at the 'copying windows files' for nearly 15 minutes and never goes anywhere, it will sit at formatting with the spinning wheel for 10 minutes during the install process, Windows will tell me files are missing that need to be available during the install, or if can actually get Windows to install, it will BSOD all the time.

I have received a replacement Force GT 240GB SSD today from Amazon and I am not having any success with that one either. If I install a platter drive in the computer, windows will install without any issues and run stable using the same exact sata port, sata cable, and using AHCI, but with the SSD I cannot begin to get this to work. I have used Parted Magic to clear the drive several times and still cannot get Windows to install on this drive. I also have the 1.3.3 firmware on this drive so I have the latest firmware. I have tried putting the sata ports in AHCI or IDE and neither way is working either.

At this point, I am completely out of ideas on how to install Windows on this SSD, and the sad part, I had a Corsair P128 SSD that windows was running fine without any issues and decided to upgrade to a larger SSD, which has become a complete nightmare. If anyone has any ideas on how to install Windows 7 on a Force GT SSD 240GB, I am all ears. Thank you.

Firmware 5.02 came out yesterday FYI.

Have you tried installing windows while it's on a different SATA port?

I apologize, I guess my first drive was on the 1.3.3 firmware, but the new one is actually on the 5.02 firmware out of the box(after loading the Corsair Firmware updater to check the drive). I did try my other 6GB sata port(with same results), I didn't try the Sata II ports on the new drive. I can try that and see if the results are any better.

All I can tell you Marvell 6gb sata ports are crap on the Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard. After moving back to the Sata 3GB ports, the machine is running much better(was actually able to install Windows). Anyone with Sabertooth X58 motherboard, avoid putting any SSD or boot drive on those ports.

do you have the lastest bios for your mb? bios 1304 "Improve stability on Marvell controller" also a sata beta driver too "Beta Version 1.2.0.1002"

Yes I have updated to 1304 Bios, I didn't update to the sata beta driver though. After 40 hours of dealing with it, I just decided to stick with the intel 3GB sata ports. Rather have a stable pc, than a slightly quicker one.

Archived