Corsair Community

Is there any aluminum in the Corsair XD5 RGB Pump?

railven

Hello, I just had a bad experience with the Enermax NeoChanger 300ml res/pump combo. I picked one up for the wife's first water build and I failed to realize the lid was aluminum. Since I had to fit the pump horizontally, the lid came in contact with the fluid which led to some nice corrosion.

Thinking of picking up the Corsair XD5 but am having a hard time finding info on what metals are used. The pictures make the pump look it's made out of plastic with some metallic decorations, but I'm only concerned with the portions that will touch the fluid.

Thanks for any info on this.

No aluminum and it is designed to be used with the Hydro X or other copper radiators. However, I don’t think you can do a horizontal mount with the XD5. If that’s what you need, you might also look at the XD3 DDC pump. It has a unique shape.

This is why I'm asking if the lid has any metals. Most D5 pumps I've come across can be positioned horizontally, and the break down I saw for this pump by PowerTechUp shows a basic D5 pump setup. As long as the motor is submerged it should have no issue (but that would mean the res being so full water will touch the lid.)

The only reason I'd see for them stating not to position horizontally is there is possibly something in the lid that may cause issues. The NeoChanger I used before stated in it's manual it can be used horizontally, and that the lid was anodized aluminum but it did nothing to prevent the corrosion we saw, so I rather not risk it.

Well I got the pump today, and looking closely I see screw holes with possible screws being exposed to the fluid. So I'll probably just return it. Guess I'll just look for something that is basic.

Edited by railven