Corsair Community

Got a few questions about my Corsair Force Series 3 120 GB

ab9003

Edit: SSD is a Corsair Force 3 120GB model

I bought my SSD aftermarket as an upgrade to a CyberPowerPC purchase.

How do I find out what kind of drive this particular one is (recalled or fixed)? I don't have and presumably won't be able to get a hold of the original box.

I have a "Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3" and an Intel i7 2600k processor machine running Windows 7 64-bit, I attempted to install marvell drivers on my PC but I'm not sure whether they worked or not or if they're even meant to be installed on this motherboard?

If I am supposed to have the Marvell drivers a link to a guide (I've searched all over and really can't find one.) or if you could give me instructions on how to install and verify the installation of these drivers I'd be very appreciative.

I've been having freezing, BSOD's as well as general slowness in regular use (windows delaying, mouse moving choppy etc) during regular use. I installed Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers and apparently things seem to be running more smoothly, is it just a coincidence or does Intel RST have some sort of effect on SSD operations?

How can I tell if my drive is connected to a Sata 2 or Sata 3 port, my Motherboard most certainly supports it but I have no idea how to verify its running on 3gb/s or 6gb/s.

Any assistance with any of these issues would be wonderful.

I bought my SSD aftermarket as an upgrade to a CyberPowerPC purchase.

How do I find out what kind of drive this particular one is (recalled or fixed)? I don't have and presumably won't be able to get a hold of the original box.

Look at the serial on the drive, if it starts with 1122 or lower then it is one of the defective drives, if 1123 or higher it's fine.

I have a "Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3" and an Intel i7 2600k processor machine running Windows 7 64-bit, I attempted to install marvell drivers on my PC but I'm not sure whether they worked or not or if they're even meant to be installed on this motherboard?

If I am supposed to have the Marvell drivers a link to a guide (I've searched all over and really can't find one.) or if you could give me instructions on how to install and verify the installation of these drivers I'd be very appreciative.

I've been having freezing, BSOD's as well as general slowness in regular use (windows delaying, mouse moving choppy etc) during regular use. I installed Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers and apparently things seem to be running more smoothly, is it just a coincidence or does Intel RST have some sort of effect on SSD operations?

Based on the model number you provided your board doesn't use a Marvell controller, but instead uses 2 Intel SATAIII ports (white).

How can I tell if my drive is connected to a Sata 2 or Sata 3 port, my Motherboard most certainly supports it but I have no idea how to verify its running on 3gb/s or 6gb/s.

Any assistance with any of these issues would be wonderful.

The white ports on your motherboard are the Intel SATAIII ports.

GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

Look at the serial on the drive, if it starts with 1122 or lower then it is one of the defective drives, if 1123 or higher it's fine.

Based on the model number you provided your board doesn't use a Marvell controller, but instead uses 2 Intel SATAIII ports (white).

The white ports on your motherboard are the Intel SATAIII ports.

GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

How do I check the serial on my drive?

Do I need to open up my machine to see which ones the SSD's are plugged into (whether they're white or not?)

Thats lovely, but it doesn't answer my question.

I tried opening my computer (via the easy to remove side panel) I saw no (read: zero) white sata ports and on top is my WD 750GB hard drive.

I am a complete and total ditz when it comes to hardware (which is why I bought a preinstalled machine) so I have absolutely no clue how to find this SSD or how to determine whether its in a Sata III port or not.

I have broken several machines in the past in my attempts to open up them further.

Is there any software determination that can be made (Speccy gives an incredibly specific serial number that should atleast be possible to date). Or if not can I please get detailed instructions on how to see this SSD? My full PC specs are in my profile but let me see if I can pull up the case as well:

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/userfiles/image/X-Plorer2-BK-9_500.jpg

Apevia Explorer 2

You should probably get a qualified technician to assist you or take it back to the place from which you bought it. We are happy to help as much as possible but if you can't do the work, we're very limited on what we can do.

You should be able to check in the BIOS and see what ports each drive is connected to. Compare that information with the diagram in your MOBO manual.

You should probably get a qualified technician to assist you or take it back to the place from which you bought it. We are happy to help as much as possible but if you can't do the work, we're very limited on what we can do.

You should be able to check in the BIOS and see what ports each drive is connected to. Compare that information with the diagram in your MOBO manual.

Get a qualified technician to assist me with what? I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking me to do and nobody seems to be able the simple question of how do I see the serial number on the drive.

I looked through every option in the bios and can't seem to find any further information about the ports?

Get a qualified technician to assist me with what? I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking me to do and nobody seems to be able the simple question of how do I see the serial number on the drive.

There must be some misunderstanding here. I am trying to be as clear as possible and you have also been given a picture.

You need to pick up your SSD and look at it. Read the serial number at the bottom of the label. I am at a loss if that is not clear enough. Am I missing something here? :confused:

• Corsair Employee

Front label right below the bar code is the Serial number:

SN:1124...............

If you are still unable to locate it I would suggest taking it to a local computer shop for assistance.

I managed to squeeze my head under and saw some numbers starting with 1124. I bought the computer on June 21st but it wasnt assembled until July 5th or so, it looks like my SSD is one of the post-recall SSD's luckily.

I'm still having issues however and wondering where can I go from here?

The random BSOD may not be your fault. Seems that even after the RMA there are a few issues with these. I have a similar motherboard the Z68X-UD3BH-B3 with updated firm.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=510232#post510232

When the drivers for the marvel card are installed they do NOT appear under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, instead they appear under Storage controllers nearer the bottom.

To find this right click on MY COMPUTER.. then select MANAGE.. once in there go to DEVICE MANAGER.. The drivers can be found on the Gigabyte www however I initially thought it was drivers so updated to even newer ones and it still has the same issue. I thought it was my fault until i came was looking up the drive on google for a friend and BSOD popped up next to it. All the same symptoms as listed in the posted thread. Waiting till the end of the week before i return it for a different brand, probibly the 510 made by the CPU company (sorry, limited time on exchange/ returns at the store i bought it at so if it isnt fixed soon I have to return or be stuck with a possible RMA, which i dont have time for)

This is the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver:

v10.​6.​0.​1022 (First download)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20215&keyword=%22Intel+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel+RST)%22&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng

The board you claim your system has does not have a Marvell controller.

You also claimed you bought the drive aftermarket as an upgrade for your system, who installed it?

Archived