Corsair Community

Help - configuration for H80i V2 (hot case)

Midiamp

Hi all, looking for suggestion on my current build.

I'm running 2700X stock with zotac RTX 2080 inside Fractal Design Define Mini C TG with two Noctua NFA14 as intake and H80i as exhaust with LL120 pushing and stock H80i fan as pull.

http://www.plikimage.com/images/2018/10/10/6432d01d-f2d4-4584-985a-a0a2b8e261e31466df068d0e19a1.md.jpg

I just read around here and realized I was in the wrong setting my H80i fan target towards the CPU. However now I'm in new grounds here on how to setup my fan curve and what's the optimal coolant temperature for my setup.

I live in SE Asia, with high humidity and 30 degrees C ambient room temp. I do have aircon but I seldom use it since I don't like cold air. My usage scenario is for office document creation/browsing/gaming about 33% every day since I work from home.

Testing my "heaviest" load scenario is GTA V online, my coolant temp peaks at 49 degrees C while my CPU peaks at 65 degrees C. All the while, the RTX 2080 blowing 75 degrees C of hot air inside the case.

The noise from the fan at the moment bothers me a bit. Curently the fan spins about 70% which is quite loud. I'm still targeting the CPU temp since, hey it works... But I wonder if I can lower it by targeting the coolant temp, but I didn't know what's the "safe" temp zone for coolant temp.

Care to share some insight on how to improve my setup?

hi buddy.... yes imho.. target the coolant temp.. this is more 'stable'. i assume atm your fans tend to Ramp up and down a lot?.. using coolant temp would stabilise that... you need to cool the liquid which in turn cools the CPU.

30c ambient is warm lol.. don't know how you cope! ;).. good luck dude

First, I'd start with the Balanced built-in profile and see how that works for you. Certainly 49C is far warmer than you want the coolant to be but with a high ambient room temperature, the GTX 1080's 75C of heat AND the small case, you don't have a whole lot of options. The heat from the GPU is going to get sucked straight into the cooler.

You'd likely be better off with the cooler as intake.

If you aren't willing to do that, you need to think about getting more cool air into the case to offset the GPU's heat. This would mean working with the fan curve for the intake fans - I'm going to guess that they are set to the CPU temperature as well, rather than the coolant temperature. You'd really want them tied more to the internal case temperature.

One last note ... make sure that the cooler is powered properly. Check out Section B of the Liquid Cooler FAQ in my signature.

good call on the cooler as intake.. maybe mount it in the top front slot.. lower front fan will feed the gpu cool air.. will cut out the GPU feeding the cooler!... exhaust fan where cooler is more more efficient removal of heat

Edit..

I think that case can take 2 fans in the top also?.. if so.. maybe 2 intakes up there first and see what happens.......

they would feed cool air direct to the cooler where it is.. but also blow the heat back down at the GPU... always a trade off

edit....

would prob need to flip the cooler to inlet/oulet at the bottom though......

You'd likely be better off with the cooler as intake.

Problem with using the front intake is that the second pull fan doesn't fit, it hit the 24 pin cable. I can chop some bits off though but probably as a last resort thing. What's the improvement of push pull and only push on the H80i?

good call on the cooler as intake.. maybe mount it in the top front slot.. lower front fan will feed the gpu cool air.. will cut out the GPU feeding the cooler!... exhaust fan where cooler is more more efficient removal of heat

This is actually my setup when using my old case, FD Mini C. However, I did used 1080Ti FE before and the ensuing hot air pulled in wreaks havoc inside.

I'll try moving the rad forward again and see how it goes.

Well... Crap... I think I broke something. iCue doesn't recognize the H80i after I move the radiator forward. Nothing broke as far as I know. Out of curiosity I unplugged the H80i USB connector from the motherboard and switched it with the lightning node pro connector. It worked, then after I restarted iCue again doesn't recognize the AIO.

Look for the driver in Device Manager and enable then disable it. It'll be listed as Corsair USBXp Driver.

I doubt that it has anything to do with moving; just coincidence.

As for your other question - the thickness of that radiator really necessitates having both fans; 1 fan typically isn't powerful enough to get air all the way through.

Look for the driver in Device Manager and enable then disable it. It'll be listed as Corsair USBXp Driver.

I doubt that it has anything to do with moving; just coincidence.

As for your other question - the thickness of that radiator really necessitates having both fans; 1 fan typically isn't powerful enough to get air all the way through.

Thanks a lot! What a weird issue, the H80i is listed as disabled on the device manager.

Ah, I see about the radiator thickness necessitates a push pull configuration. Noted.

Will try to stress test the system with this newfound information.

It's due to a driver crash. Sometimes it happens ... it can also happen if you have multiple applications accessing the device at the same time. So ... if you are using any other monitoring tools, make sure that they don't read from any of the Corsair devices.

Archived