Corsair Community

New AX860i Auto Resets After Power On

npapatonis

I just installed a new AX860i, and everything seemed to be working fine. However, I noticed a strange behavior, and I wanted to find out if it is by design or if it is a possible defect. I switched off the computer, then switched off the PSU and unplugged it because I needed to open the computer case. After closing the case, I plugged in the PSU and flipped its switch to the 'on' position. Then, I started the computer. It looked like it was starting up normally. Fans started, LEDs lit and diagnostics LED display was showing what looked like a normal POST sequence. But, after maybe only 1 or 2 seconds, the whole system shut down. Then, after another second the system started up again and proceeded to POST and boot just fine. I was concerned, so I tried to replicate. I did succeed in replicating one time. I had to follow the same steps of turning off the PSU and unplugging, then plugging it back in and turning it back on before attempting to power on the whole computer.

I did find a couple posts, one on this forum and another elsewhere, that indicated this is probably normal when power to the PSU is interrupted. Could someone, hopefully someone at Corsair, please confirm that this is expected. If it is by design, could someone provide a brief explanation of why this happens and what the PSU is doing?

Thanks for the reply. So, in your experience, unplugging or doing a hard-switch is the only reason this unit should act this way? Or, as you implied, if it's always plugged in, I shouldn't see this? Like I said, this is only a two day old power supply, and I'd like to know what to expect. Thanks again.

Archived