Corsair Community

H80i v2 and Ryzen 5

QuorthonRhar

Hello you wonderful forum members!

I am sure this question was answered numerous times here in these forums, but I found some contradictory results all over the internet, so I thought it's better to ask you wonderful forum members and finally get definite answer.

I am not home at the moment, so can't really remember the exact shape of the AMD mount I've got inside the box, but I've read somewhere that's not the one I will need for installation with Ryzen.

Anyway, I currently have it installed on my LGA 1155 socket Motherboard from Gigabyte, on my trusty i5 3570K (I know it's old, but it serves me well). Motherboard finally started to give up after 5 years of constant use, USB ports randomly shut down, temperatures on Motherboard start to increase etc. Instead of trying to revive it and search for LGA1155 motherboard (almost impossible here where I live), I was thinking of upgrading to Ryzen 5 1600 and new MB and DDR4 memory. All other components I already have.

I am just thinking what should I do to make my beloved H80i v2 work with this new setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

You'll need this: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/am4-amd-retention-bracket-kit-for-hydro-series-coolers.

You'll also need to remove the bracket from the existing cooler. You'll need to push it down (away from the cold plate) and then rotate to unlock it.

Thank you so much for your help, greatly appreciated. So, I've heard there was a coupon code for that AM4-AMD bracket, but not sure if it's still valid. Some people saying it's not. Anyway, not a problem to buy it, it's not like it's $100 :)

I was just wondering if there is anybody in these forums from Toronto or GTA (Greater Toronto Area) who knows if any local computer stores might have it in stock... instead of waiting for package to arrive.

Kind Regards!

Thank you for your respond! I was looking at their website earlier today, but unfortunately they went full online business, there are not brick and mortar stores around here anymore. You have to order online, and wait sometimes even weeks to get stuff in mail. They probably don't have it in stock, and ordering from Corsair, so we end users basically wait twice... for stuff to arrive to their address, and then few days later when it's processed at NCIX, to actually get it.

If Canada Computers would have these in stock, that would be great since they have tons of stores around here, but I wasn't able to find these brackets there :(

EDIT: just as I was afraid and mentioned earlier:

Quote from the page:

"Back Order

This product is available but currently we do not have stock. Order it today and we will ship when it's available."

EDIT 2: oh no, even Amazon.ca don't have them:

https://www.amazon.ca/Corsair-CW-8960046-Retention-Bracket-Coolers/dp/B06Y6J86V1

And Amazon.com does not ship this item to Canada (?!!)

Little update after I got home from work... I have to say I am a little bit lost now. I've read everywhere, only v1 would come with this bracket, and not the v2. I am pretty sure I saw that AM4 bracket in my box when I was installing my new H80i v2 and using other brackets for my i5 build.

To my surprise, even on the box there is a AM4 COMPATIBLE sticker. How is this possible when everyone told me v2 never comes with this bracket?

Anyway, here is couple of photos as a proof :)

Happy camper now :)

Thanks to everybody for their help! Greatly appreciated.

Wgt7NwV.jpg

UAAjOeW.jpg

IG6JpZH.jpg

The newer boxes ... that is, those manufactured after Ryzen was released ... do have the AM4 bracket in the box.

I had the impression that you were planning on using your existing H80i V2 ... one that you'd had for a while and, presumably, purchased before Ryzen was released. My H80i V2 certainly didn't come with it ... 1 of my H100i V2's did and 1 of them did not ... depending on when I purchased them.

Glad that you had it in the box tho!

The newer boxes ... that is, those manufactured after Ryzen was released ... do have the AM4 bracket in the box.

I had the impression that you were planning on using your existing H80i V2 ... one that you'd had for a while and, presumably, purchased before Ryzen was released. My H80i V2 certainly didn't come with it ... 1 of my H100i V2's did and 1 of them did not ... depending on when I purchased them.

Glad that you had it in the box tho!

Yes, that must be the case. I just did not know there were any (even those after Ryzen relase) released with this bracket. Luckily, that was the case this time :) I know these brackets are not expensive at all, but it was killing me that I wasn't able to find it anywhere locally (in stores). I can't cope with having to wait few days for my mail to arrive, so I always try to avoid online orders (whenever possible). Happy ending this time, my bracket was in the box, the whole time :)

Sorry to be pain in the rear end... regarding the part you posted in your first reply: "...You'll also need to remove the bracket from the existing cooler. You'll need to push it down (away from the cold plate) and then rotate to unlock it..."

...is there any video tutorial on how to do that? I just don't want to break anything :[pouts:

Thank you so much once again, you've been very polite and super helpful. Thank you a million!

Kind Regards

Yes, that must be the case. I just did not know there were any (even those after Ryzen relase) released with this bracket. Luckily, that was the case this time :) I know these brackets are not expensive at all, but it was killing me that I wasn't able to find it anywhere locally (in stores). I can't cope with having to wait few days for my mail to arrive, so I always try to avoid online orders (whenever possible). Happy ending this time, my bracket was in the box, the whole time :)

Yes, definitely agree with that! Love it when things work out so easily!

Sorry to be pain in the rear end... regarding the part you posted in your first reply: "...You'll also need to remove the bracket from the existing cooler. You'll need to push it down (away from the cold plate) and then rotate to unlock it..."

...is there any video tutorial on how to do that? I just don't want to break anything :[pouts:

I've not seen any good video tutorials that show, clearly, that you have to press down on the bracket to unlock it from the pump header, unfortunately. I finally tried this when I got my H115i Pro and took my H100i V2 out ... as so many folks had reported difficulty with it. That said, I don't think that it's likely that you'll break anything. Just take the pump header in one hand, copper cold plate up. Press down on the silver bracket and then turn it. It'll come right off.

Thank you so much once again, you've been very polite and super helpful. Thank you a million!

Kind Regards

Glad to help! We'll get you all sorted in no time, I'm sure. Let us know if you have any more questions; there ate several of us around here that help out pretty regularly.

Yes, definitely agree with that! Love it when things work out so easily!

I've not seen any good video tutorials that show, clearly, that you have to press down on the bracket to unlock it from the pump header, unfortunately. I finally tried this when I got my H115i Pro and took my H100i V2 out ... as so many folks had reported difficulty with it. That said, I don't think that it's likely that you'll break anything. Just take the pump header in one hand, copper cold plate up. Press down on the silver bracket and then turn it. It'll come right off.

Glad to help! We'll get you all sorted in no time, I'm sure. Let us know if you have any more questions; there ate several of us around here that help out pretty regularly.

Thanks again! I'll take my time and for sure will not rush through this little task. It shouldn't be too difficult, especially now when you explained everything in great details. Thank you again!

I know I can count on these forums. You guys are incredible, proven many times in the past, this time too! :headbang:

Have a wonderful rest of the night my friend!

That's a pretty good video. You can also use this how-to article as a second reference :)

http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/blog/2017/april/am4bracketinstallation

and yeah, happy to hear that you've got everything sorted out. And thanks DevBiker, U DA MAN!

Wow, it was in front of my nose the whole time. Official Corsair link is even better, everything explained super simple followed by amazing animated GIFs.

Each one of you are DA MAN! :headbang:

Archived