Corsair Community

Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition "Ticking noise"

kenz_aps

Hey Guys,

So I went out to buy a double pack with Corsairs SP120 Quiet edition. They're fairly silent. The thing is just that they tend to make some sort of ticking sound, just like a Harddrive did back in the days. Some people will even define it as rattle.

So, my first thought was that they were defect, and therefore i returned it to the retailer to get a fresh pair. The issue remain. Still this annoying sound. Since the stock fans for the h100i sound like a jumbo jet, i need some aftermarket fans. However, I paid a lot of money in order to get quality components and still keep up my color scheme of red and black, so i'm in really need of these fans.

... So, can anyone explain how I fix this Issue? Both are connected directly into the pump from the rad by the following splitter. I've tried to use the Corsair link and keep the RPM at 1300 fixed as one other member was recommended. However, my fans don't even show up in the Corsair link software, and it even causes BSOD when attaching the cable from the pump into a USB 2.0. (WHEA_UNCORRETABLE_ERROR). My 2 fans is running on a h100i in a push config.

Now, I really want these fans to work properly, since they look nice and the dB without the ticking noise is satisfying. I'm in desperately need of help. Can anyone explain how I solve this issue? Hopefully I don't think Corsair would release any fans with the ticking noise as intended. Please help.

Thanks in advance

Rasmus Hansen

LOL. I just realized what was wrong. I tried to put pressure on the top where the dust filter is positioned, and it turns out that it is that part of the case that rattles whenever the rpm rises under load when booting/rendering/gaming. In other words it is the grill of the case causing the sound, due to vibration on the thin surface.

Do you guys have any idea how to stabilize the weight of the surface without preventing the air to be blow out of the top? The rad can not be positioned anywhere else in the 750D, due to missing mounting holes in the back, and the optical drive bays in the front in which I can't remove.

Hi kenz, I believe I will fix the vibration noise coming from the fans. In a few days, I will receive some radiator gaskets to put in between my fans and case. They say that the gasket will relieve the vibration coming from the case and fans. I ordered them from frozen cpu, and maybe you should get some too. They are only $2.50, but the shipping was $3.99 for me. I ordered a total of three, because I wanted to see if it would also improve my static pressure (The SP120's are rounded and can leak the air throughout the case).

Well I will let you know how they go. They also sell Fan silencers from there too, but they are only 120mm, not 240mm.

heres the link to what I purchased:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/17862/ex-rad-465/XSPC_2_x_120mm_Radiator_Gasket_-_3mm.html?id=TyV5J8tc&mv_pc=1215

I really hope this solves the problem. Because of the vibration, Amazon gave me 20% off my case. BTW, what case do you own?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Todd,

Thank you for the follow up. I will await the result of yours, before I purchase any. Hopefully this will solve the case! Are you using a H100I as well? My current case is a Corsair 750D. My previous case was a 450D which is nearly identical to the 750D, aside mATX dimensions. I had no rattling problem in that case with the same setup, which makes it likely to believe that the thin grill is rattling due to its dimensions on a ATX (thin grill covering a wider area).

Thanks in advance

kenz_aps

Archived