Just wondering if anyone can help me.

I've recently built a new gaming rig using the following components:

ASUS Z97 Deluxe

i7-4790K

H100i cooler

AX860i PSU

Fractal Design R4

Club3D R9 290 Royal Ace

For cooling, I've got the stock Fractal Design fans in the rear and bottom of the case.

Rear fan is extracting. Bottom fan in blowing air upwards at graphics card.

In the front, I've got 2 x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWMs.

On the H100i, I've got 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWMs in push configuration.

All fans are being controlled from motherboard headers, with appropriate settings for DC/PWM in BIOS.

I gave up on having the H100i control it's fans, as the CorsairLink software is so flaky. In the latest version, it won't even recognise that the 860i is connected. It should be noted that the temperatures were worse with the stock Corsair fans controlled by the H100i.

Right now, I've got no overclocks running, and I'm seeing much higher than expected CPU temperatures. Ambient temperature is 22 degrees C.

At idle, CPU cores (as read by RealTemp v3.70) are reading 34, 32, 33, 33 degrees C.

Under load with Prime95 (small FFT), temperatures reach 75, 73, 74, 69 degrees C.

Based on figures I've seen on the forum here, and elsewhere I was expecting temps at least 10 degrees C cooler.

When I attempted a 4.6GHz auto overclock using Ai Suite 3, then CPU temps on all but one core reached Tj Max (100 degrees C). Not good!

Again, some of this could be down to the way that the overclock is being performed, and the higher than needed voltage.

However, others are reporting much lower temperatures using the same overclock mechanism (see Temps running Prime95).

I've removed the cooling block, cleaned both CPU and block with Arctic Silver cleaner and finisher, tinted both components, and then used Arctic Silver 5 when putting it all back together. Temperatures did drop a degree or so, but nothing major.

Something I did notice is that it's seems almost impossible to clamp down the cooling block, such that you can't move it around on top of the CPU. I've checked the backplate, and it is in the correct orientation, which I've seen mentioned as a possible cause. It seems to me that the rubber gromits on the backplate are not thick enough to allow a firm clamp down (I've noticed some folks say to use additional rubber washers). If I can't get a good thermal interface with the H100i, then I'm thinking of going with air cooling instead (won't mention the make and model I'm thinking of, as I don't think that's allowed here.).

Would be interested to know what folks think, as I'm rapidly running out of patience with Corsair. Current estimate (from support ticket) for fixing CorsairLink issues is 1-2 months, and they wouldn't offer any opinion on the poor cooling issue described above.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy.

Also i don't see anybody in 60's like your saying with stock settings on that cpu in prime95. Prime95 uses avx which makes haswell overvolt by .1v. Only way to stop it is manually setting voltage or stress testing with a program that doesn't use avx. Many choose to manually set voltage for stress testing then use offset voltage for 24/7 because during everyday use there aren't many programs out there that use avx. Very very few.

Also i don't see anybody in 60's like your saying with stock settings on that cpu in prime95. Prime95 uses avx which makes haswell overvolt by .1v. Only way to stop it is manually setting voltage or stress testing with a program that doesn't use avx. Many choose to manually set voltage for stress testing then use offset voltage for 24/7 because during everyday use there aren't many programs out there that use avx. Very very few.

AIDA64 is another option!

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

Turns out that the main culprit was the thermal interface between cooling block and CPU.

My motherboard is simply too thin for the supplied mounting hardware to be able to clamp down securely on the CPU.

I've performed the washers trick, as mentioned by many others, and the cooling block is now rock solid on the CPU. Likewise, temperatures are down accordingly. I'm now hitting a max. of 72 degrees C when running Prime95. Much better!

Really think that Corsair should address this issue with amended mounting hardware.

Your max was 75 before... so temps are basically identical. I doubt that was your issue. Prob just cooler ambient after you remounted. People with backplate issue usually drastically overheat. Unless you are maxing at 72 with the overclocked setting. Then that would make sense. Your post wasn't clear tho.

• 4 weeks later...

I ran into a similar issue with the ASUS Z97-A motherboard. The problem is that you cannot get rock solid contact on the CPU with the water block. I had to run down to the hardware store and purchase some rubber washers and nylon washers for the backside bracket. Once installed I was able to properly install the standoffs. This made all the difference in the world. The H100i CAN cool the i7-4790K but only when it is properly installed. I have pictures if someone needs or wants to see.

Corsair should really add extra washers with the kit to accommodate the varying thickness of motherboards. I should not have to run to the store to buy more parts after throwing down $100 bill for the H100i.

Other than that I am extremely happy with the product. Prime95 for 10 minutes at 4.9GHz and I am at a cool 50C average.

Your not at 50C at 4.9ghz. If ur reading that in corsair link or Ai suite they show socket temp. But no way your cores are that low at that clock in prime95. Also i have same board as you without issue with the standoffs. I'm on h105 tho. Maybe it's the blocks bracket that's the issue and not standoffs or backplate.

Correct, I am reading it from AI suite. Prior to fixing the problem it would race up to 100C. Cores are running in low to mid 70s.

I guess you were lucky in not having the problem as there have been several others that corroborate my experience. I had at least 1/8th of an inch in play. Regardless, I do not believe it is too much to ask of Corsair to throw in a few extra washers to ensure a proper fit for those that do experience this problem. Once the fit is right, you can get good results.

http://valid.canardpc.com/90prq9

• 5 months later...
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

Turns out that the main culprit was the thermal interface between cooling block and CPU.

My motherboard is simply too thin for the supplied mounting hardware to be able to clamp down securely on the CPU.

I've performed the washers trick, as mentioned by many others, and the cooling block is now rock solid on the CPU. Likewise, temperatures are down accordingly. I'm now hitting a max. of 72 degrees C when running Prime95. Much better!

Really think that Corsair should address this issue with amended mounting hardware.

Where exactly did you put the washers , i think i might have a similar mounting problem with my H80i on my Asus Maximus VII Ranger and 4790k.

I`m experiencing higher temperatures with this CPU than with my old AMD FX 8350 in games, in rendering... technically on everything.

• Corsair Employee
Check and make sure your mounting is correct, this is an extremely common problem. The backplate has a notch in one of the sides designed to wrap around the two socket screws; if not positioned correctly, the waterblock won't make even contact with the CPU, resulting in high temperatures.

Archived