Corsair Community

K70 MK.2 Keycaps Question

Daethz

Are the keycaps any more durable on the MK.2?

#1 issue(really the only issue) i have with my old RGB K70 LUX is keycaps break off, literally, on the bottom of the keycap, the 4 winged cylinder that connects the key, one of the four corners breaks off with a perfect hairline crack on both sides and then the key just slides off and goes flying when your typing at 100wpm+

I never had issues like this on any other mechanical keyboard, but so far this keyboard dosn't have the issues like other mechanical keyboards have had, that's why I'm still sticking with corsair, but its getting to be an expensive relationship when I know I would need to buy atleast one set of replacement keycaps if they havent been improved.

I expect they are unchanged. Without getting into how you break the keys, if you are having to buy extra sets, you might want to cave and buy the PBT set. The downside is it will darken the lighting substantially. This isn't so bad for colors, but the white LED shine through always comes off dull and faded. There is the Mk2 with white PBT caps, but probably not for everyone.

Yes, the Mk2 has double shot PBT keycaps. If you have a bunch of cracked key switches contacts Corsair Support. They should be able to send you a free replacement set of PBTs. I know they did this for quite a few users with the same problem over on reddit.

Yes, the Mk2 has double shot PBT keycaps. If you have a bunch of cracked key switches contacts Corsair Support. They should be able to send you a free replacement set of PBTs. I know they did this for quite a few users with the same problem over on reddit.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that only the MK.2 SE has PBT keycaps and the standard black MK.2 still uses the same ABS keycaps as the LUX and K95 Plat line.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that only the MK.2 SE has PBT keycaps and the standard black MK.2 still uses the same ABS keycaps as the LUX and K95 Plat line.

The K95 plat still has ABS but the new Mk2 K70 has PBT. They also sell black PBT sets alone now. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/ACC-Series/ACC-Color/pbt-config/p/CH-9000235-WW

Neat, ABS keycaps seem to be really cheap, given my experience with them, I hope they go extinct, shoulden't have to worry about keys snapping off, really even increasing the amount of plastic in that area by 25% would probably fix the problem entirely, but I guess im not a keycap engineer.

I think we probably need some verification on this. I had the Black K70 mk.2 brown and rapid fire in my hands earlier this week. I own the Corsair double shot black set and it is installed on my K70 LUX. If the new black mk.2 series has single shot PBT plastic caps, it is mysteriously missing from the description, unlike the white mk2 SE. I have seen reviews criticizing Corsair for not adding PBT caps on these boards and I certainly could not tell they were PBT when in my hands. They did not have the texture I would expect, unless somehow they really refined the process.

I think we probably need some verification on this. I had the Black K70 mk.2 brown and rapid fire in my hands earlier this week. I own the Corsair double shot black set and it is installed on my K70 LUX. If the new black mk.2 series has single shot PBT plastic caps, it is mysteriously missing from the description, unlike the white mk2 SE. I have seen reviews criticizing Corsair for not adding PBT caps on these boards and I certainly could not tell they were PBT when in my hands. They did not have the texture I would expect, unless somehow they really refined the process.

Yeah Amazon says nothing about PBT on the black version, but advertises it on the white version.

Corsair, if the black one isn't PBT please tell us, also please sell a K70 LUX RGB PBT edition, as much as I would like to buy a new keyboard and a key set and manually replace every single key before using it...

Yeah Amazon says nothing about PBT on the black version, but advertises it on the white version.

Corsair, if the black one isn't PBT please tell us, also please sell a K70 LUX RGB PBT edition, as much as I would like to buy a new keyboard and a key set and manually replace every single key before using it...

Yea double checking right now. Yup sorry yall were right. the black one does not come PBT double shot Only the SE. Really questioning that 50$ price tag for the PBT set.

So right out of the gate the white one is far more durable than the black version.. Why would they do that?

If I could buy a PBT black mk.2 i would next time a key breaks.

However since pbt only comes in white, idk if i can handle a white keyboard.. even though i plan on building a desktop with a white air540

Not really sure why they're forcing people to buy the SE to get the most "value" out of their purchase. For $10 more than the standard MK.2, you get PBT keycaps which cost $50 by themselves but we're forced on the white color scheme and only one switch option which is a huge bummer.

• 3 months later...

You know what's a real bummer?

Those fancy double-shot keycaps are only available in the US layout.

Seriously, if you are going to offer premium caps, at least have the common decency to provide them for all available keyboard language layouts.

Plus adding different language layouts to the product selection isn't THAT hard since the difference is just a handful of keys.

As for the price, 50-ish € for double-shot PBTs seems to be the normal market price.

You know what's a real bummer?

Those fancy double-shot keycaps are only available in the US layout.

Seriously, if you are going to offer premium caps, at least have the common decency to provide them for all available keyboard language layouts.

Plus adding different language layouts to the product selection isn't THAT hard since the difference is just a handful of keys.

As for the price, 50-ish € for double-shot PBTs seems to be the normal market price.

Uhhh ... not exactly. There are additional keys for non-US layouts included in the box.

y4mcdGVGEc5lYGduoIDT43QY1vO3PsVBS-YwLejEO7YPhJ-whv6mGV7WVgNwiCq8ojWpe3PpDkLkwP22HobpLy0XA_gGqkA_Ty8dzFeIS1pIoc05lvwCSZ6w4xIw3Ur3ehL_dVtzpLeOUjOx5im57CWwMkXyRH4P2kAEEwqzv372LVd_R49GAUQ6N4uABZokjnNrbHevJ_aThW5MaJZlGmBbw?width=1024&height=949&cropmode=none

And yes... adding additional keys for multiple other languages is a big deal. It makes each product region based and complicates supply and forces lean estimates on demand. If you were thinking there are little elves who hand paint these things and stuff them in each box when you order...

Uhhh ... not exactly. There are additional keys for non-US layouts included in the box.

y4mcdGVGEc5lYGduoIDT43QY1vO3PsVBS-YwLejEO7YPhJ-whv6mGV7WVgNwiCq8ojWpe3PpDkLkwP22HobpLy0XA_gGqkA_Ty8dzFeIS1pIoc05lvwCSZ6w4xIw3Ur3ehL_dVtzpLeOUjOx5im57CWwMkXyRH4P2kAEEwqzv372LVd_R49GAUQ6N4uABZokjnNrbHevJ_aThW5MaJZlGmBbw?width=1024&height=949&cropmode=none

Yeah, some language zones are included, but what about the german one? No trace of the german special letters, such as Ü, Ä, Ö and the like.

The extra ones you are referring to are those for the EU/UK layouts, but the german one is not included there.

• 2 months later...

Archived