Corsair Community

Keyboard not powering up on Startup

So recently, since about mid-December every 3rd-4th time I boot my computer up, my USB keyboard(Corsair K70 vengeance Red LED) doesn't seem to be getting power when the computer boots up.

All it takes to 'fix' the keyboard is to unplug and replug the USB cable. Which makes me think it's somehow the computer not registering the keyboard and sending power to it.

I've had the keyboard since about August-ish, and it's worked perfectly fine until a Windows update in December, when the issue first started.

Things I've Tried:

I'm sure it's not the fault of the USB port the keyboard is plugged into, since the mouse works fine when swapping ports.

I'm fairly sure it's not the BIOS power options for USB devices, etc. (I've set it so it sends power to all USB devices whether it recognizes them as a keyboard/mouse or not.)

Basically, at this point I'm fairly sure it's either something caused by Windows 10 or the keyboard itself is faulty.

If anyone happens to also have this problem, or knows of a fix for it, I'd really appreciate the help.

To clarify, what happens is about every 3rd to 4th time the computer turns on (from being completely shut down) the keyboard will not seem to receive power at all, at any time during the start up. Not at POST or windows.

I can get into BIOS when the keyboard powers itself up though. Switching the BIOS switch on the keyboard doesn't seem to have any effect.

To get into the BIOS on bootup with K70 keyboard I press the 'spacebar' and DEL or whatever key brings you into your BIOS. I press the "spacebar and then the 'DEL' key a few times and then I am into the BIOS. I think you basically have to wake up the K70 keyboard when first booting up. Please try that and reply back to your post.

cheers

Have you tried other USB ports? Is it the same problem?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS by shorting the pins on the motherboard or by removing the CMOS battery? (Refer to your motherboard's user manual)

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

Try the keyboard on another computer. Is it working fine?

I've tried the other USB ports, that's not the problem. (Mouse works perfectly fine in any of the USB Ports.)

Haven't tried resetting the BIOS or updating it yet, I'll be testing it on a different computer sometime soon.

Sidenote: Given that it was working fine for 3~months with the current BIOS, would Windows 10 be able to download an update/etc that can effect the BIOS?

Highly doubt it. The keyboard should at least power on and be detected in the BIOS during POST.

We will have to see what happens when you try the keyboard on another computer. If it encounters the same issue, it may probably be the K70 going bad.

I have the same issue with my K95 RGB. If my PC has been powered down for a few days (completely switched off at the wall and PSU). When I boot the K95 receives no power at all right from POST all the way into Windows 10. The only way to resolve is to unplug the usb cable and reconnect. I first noticed this back in September but then for a couple of months all was fine but since January the problem has returned.

I had the same issue with my K70.

Wouldn’t power up after turning off main power.

Turned out to be a dodgy USB device I had plugged in a USB port.

Seems it was confusing the BIOS.

Try unplugging every USB device, including your mouse (u can plug that in later when Windows boots).

If keyboard powers up at POST then it’s a matter of elimination.

Thanks for the advice. I've tried removing other USB devices to see if they're causing an issue but I'm still having the same problem, the K95 just won't power up until I unplug its USB cable and then plug it in again. This is happening if I use USB3 or USB2 sockets

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issues, I think it's one of the latest keyboard updates that caused this.

Boot is fine, I will get to the logon screen, I can type and logon.

However, after login to the time that the corsair software has fully launched, which is sometimes really slow, the keyboard does not respond at all.

• 2 years later...

I have the same issue for 2 yr now. It is a lottery at start up. Sometimes BIOS does not detect keyboard and I must unplug and re plug on Win10 Logon screen to make it work.

I tried on other Notebook and Desktop, same thing. Even a couple of times the keyboard was stuck with the blinking 3 white LED at the top and I had no other option but to re flash the firmware.

At this point I think it could be related to juice from motherboard USBs not delivering enough power to the keyboard, maybe there is a capacitor or something defected.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this issue since Mid May 2018 on my keyboard, RGB K70 (Brown). I was prompted by CUE 2.24.50 to update to iCUE 3.3.103. I went ahead and updated. Upon reboot, and once I was in windows, the K70 frantically started to connect and disconnect while iCUE was running in the background. The only way to stop the annoying sound was to quit iCUE. I tried all the polling rates and the problem persists.

Next, I rebooted again and this time around, my Windows boot got messed up. Again I tried all polling rates, but Windows refuses to load after the BIOS screen. The only way Windows loads is if I totally disconnect the K70 and plug it in once Windows loads to desktop. Tried booting with just the keyboard plugged in and all Polling rate, but still no luck.

Next, I uninstalled iCUE in safe mode, also cleared the %TEMP% folder. I booted to Windows (again with the keyboard unplugged) & rolled back to CUE 2.24.50 hoping that it would fix the issue, but it did not. The same issues persist, connecting/disconnecting keyboard. I even tried different USB ports where other peripherals work flawlessly. I even tried USB 3.0, but to no luck.

Next, from a previous corsair support ticket, I flashed the firmware that was provided by their team member, but the problem still persists.

And in this period of 7-8 days, the only thing I had installed and uninstalled was CUE/iCUE. No system drivers were updated, no GPU drivers were updated.

They keyboard is just under 3 years old. Everytime some problem crops up, it is due to a CUE update. Even back in Dec 2017, the malfunction lights issue got resolved after a CUE update. The Corsair forums are full of iCUE complaints. It seems to break the older hardware which Corsair might not have tested. Even as I type this, I have to use the K70 in BIOS mode, because the other polling rates disconnect my keyboard. I have never had to use the polling rates before. My system hardware too hasn't changed in 3 years.

Now when I click 'Check for updates' in CUE 2.24.50, it says that your software is up to date. Which only means that Corsair pulled down the upgrade for CUE 2.24.50 users. Only way to get iCUE was through their website. I really wish that Corsair could own up and acknowledge this issue.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I get a msg at startup no keyboard detected.

My K70 just won't power up until I unplug its USB cable and then plug it in again. The problem is from past 3 months. I tried all the methods posted in thread but still same issue. Pls someone help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The same thing is happening to me (k70). I have a feeling it's a combination between the power demands of the keyboard and the bios on some motherboards. I have asus rog strix x570-e, and they're known to have issues with usb connecting/disconnecting. But not everyone with this motherboard has this issue with their keyboard, so that's what leads me to believe that it's a combo problem between the k70 and motherboard compatibility. I have plenty of other usb peripherals connected (mouse, midi keyboard, external audio device, led strip, headphones, usb hub) and only the k70 doesn't power on all the time on boot. Edited by u84six

• 4 weeks later...
I get a msg at startup no keyboard detected.

My K70 just won't power up until I unplug its USB cable and then plug it in again. The problem is from past 3 months. I tried all the methods posted in thread but still same issue. Pls someone help.

Finally found the solution, I disconnected my usb modem and now my keyboard works fine. I recommend to remove any connected USB devices and chk if it solves your problem.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/23/2021 at 9:28 AM, Ifti712 said:

Finally found the solution, I disconnected my usb modem and now my keyboard works fine. I recommend to remove any connected USB devices and chk if it solves your problem.

I have a K95 and i also have usb modem but removing it or not i still gat keyboard not working after reboot or restart

the only thing that works is unplug and replug 

I dont mind but i would like to know why my keyboard is acting like this ?

many thanks