Corsair Community

Rma#5606662 TX850w v2 no post

sherifsaid123

hi, A while ago I had a working computer that use to get blue screens every now and then, but suddenly blue screens started to sort of become a little more frequent. I then decided to run memtest on my Corsair 8gb Vengeance memory and it returned errors. Also around that time, i noticed that my Corsair tx850 v2 was making a scary ticking noise. By that time i immediately RMAed both psu and ram to corsair to avoid further damage to my OLDER computer. Keep in mind that this old computer was fully functional.

So when i got my Corsair PSU and ram back from almost a month long RMA period, i hooked up the psu and ram to my older computer, and nothing booted at all. The green light on my motherboard's power button would glow green when i hook up the psu to the wall jack, but when i press that power button to boot, the fans would spin for around one millisecond, then everything shuts down including the fan on the PSU. At that time i immediately called Corsair technical support and they told me to maybe try the psu and ram on another computer (which was a horrible idea and I don't know why I gave the psu and ram the benefit of the doubt after I saw how the psu might have damaged my older system) so I tried it on my brand new computer. Before I tried it on the new computer, i tried the paperclip test, and surprisingly, it passed >.<

That same exact day i got the new parts for my new computer I tried the psu and ram. Keep in mind that these parts are literally 30 minutes old out of the box (just so you don't assume that any part besides the psu or ram is at fault) and the same EXACT thing happened. The system wouldn't boot and the fans spin for about a millisecond, then nothing would happen at all.

1st (approximately 2 years old)

msi z77agd65 motherboard

i5 2400 @3.1 ghz

1x msi gtx 680

8gb Corsair vengeance ram

corsair tx850w v2

the second computer is an upgrade from that i5 to i7 3770k and a new motherboard (a second msiz77agd65) and a second gtx 680 (that means now i can sli) and i'm using the same exact ram and psu on both computers. Meaning i swap ram and psu for whichever computer i want to use since they have two separate cases (obviously) and i don't have some spare ram or a spare psu.

both motherboards (the 2 year old and the 30 minute old NEW motherboard) show the same EXACT symptom with the same power supply and ram installed. What makes me go nuts however, is the fact that the psu is passing the paperclip test, which is driving me absolutely nuts.

PS. i've already ran a testbench outside of the case with bare minimum hardware (cpu, one ram at a time on each slot) and the symptoms remained the same as described above. I've also tried resetting the cmos on the older z77 and still, nothing changed.

So what do you guys think could be the problem here? do you agree with me that this issue is more likely to be psu/ram related, or does it sound like I was unlucky enough that both motherboards (old and new) decided to die on me at the same time?

I would say it's just a PSu issue. Call CS with your RMA number and let them know whats going on. They should take care of it right away.

They will also pick up shipping both ways and be sure you ask about an advanced replacement so you can have a new one pretty fast.

I filed a damage claim form and the package with all damaged parts including their psu and ram arrived to them last thursday. Now i'm just waiting until they finish doing their thing. The problem for me now is that I forgot that i had a warranty with tigerdirect until 30 days after the date of purchase for the new motherboard and cpu that were damaged by the psu and I realized i could've just sent it to them to replace or refund instead of sending these parts to corsair. Now if Corsair decides to bs me and say that there is nothing wrong with their psu and decide to send everything back to me, then i'll end up missing out on the 30 day warranty with tigerdirect since shipping will take too long and i'll be stuck with junk that's not working.

So what do you guys think could be the problem here? do you agree with me that this issue is more likely to be psu/ram related, or does it sound like I was unlucky enough that both motherboards (old and new) decided to die on me at the same time?

Sherrif, I really don't think the RAM was bad at all. A failing memtest does not always point towards bad memory . Incorrect timings and voltages will also cause these types of issues and will not damage a MB or any other component. I believe that when Corsair is done testing them you'll find out everything was okay.

I believe you jumped the gun in this case without proper troubleshooting. You should have separated the RAM and the PSU instead of swapping them both at the same time and find out exactly which component is causing what issue.

The PSU may be at fault, but unless it literally burned up there is no risk of damage to both your older and new MB. Usually when a PSU takes out a Mb there is noticeable damage to the board. Fried connectors or other components on the board that would have been easily seen. Seeing as the replacements both exhibited the same symptoms you have something else going on there besides RAM

and PSU issues.

PS. i've already ran a testbench outside of the case with bare minimum hardware (cpu, one ram at a time on each slot) and the symptoms remained the same as described above. I've also tried resetting the cmos on the older z77 and still, nothing changed.

Are you using XMP? If no , that will also cause a failing memtest because it also adjust other necessary system voltages besides the memory. So will an out of date BIOS. I don't see anywhere in your first post that you updated any of the BIOS's on either board.

i noticed that my Corsair tx850 v2 was making a scary ticking noise.

This is the fan controller making that noise. But will not cause any damage to anything. All it does is control the fan and sometimes when these fan controllers fail they will tick when attempting to control the fan correctly. But in no way will burn anything up or damage other components.

You only RMA'd the PSU because of the tick correct? It otherwise was running fine correct? And did you ever look to see what he voltages in the BIOS were being reported as?

Having said that please keep us posted on how you make out.

First off, please re-read the post because you're confusing the damage claim case with the RMA that was done 4 months ago and has nothing to do with this damage claim. The story about the RMA submitted as a result of ram failing memtest and a ticking psu has nothing at all to do with this damage claim and was only mentioned to provide more background information about past experiences with my older system while using these Corsair products. This damage claim is about the power supply that Corsair replaced for me AFTER the first RMA.

I didn't jump any guns. I would have separated both the psu and ram IF i had extra ram and an extra psu or if i had a friend that had extra ram or an extra psu. I even went to the computer store to see if they could test it for me, but they didn't have a newer motherboard that they could test the psu on. Yes memtest doesn't always mean that the ram is bad, but 90% of the time, it does (again, this case has nothing to do with ram modules returning errors. This damage claim case is about a PSU and not about ram so you're confusing the old and new problems. I talked about my previous RMA only to provide more background information of what happened in the past about 4 months ago. The psu that was making ticking noise also has nothing to do with this damage claim case either so please re-read the post.)

How did you conclude that since both systems are exhibiting the same symptoms then there must be something else going on besides the ram and psu? that doesn't actually make any sense at all. If you think that I was unlucky enough to receive a new DOA motherboard and also have my older working motherboard die at the same time, then there is an equal chance that a piano will drop on my head from the sky when I walk out of my house today.

The new motherboard was never used to begin with for me to change the bios on it . With the older motherboard, I constantly update my BIOS and drivers whenever updates are available. I didn't mention that I always update my drivers and BIOS in my earlier posts since I don't think It would be relevant in a case where neither systems actually boot after getting the psu and ram replacements.

I did not file a damage claim form on the previous PSU, which means I did not claim that the psu that Corsair replaced for me (the one that was making ticking noises) did any damage to my system. Whether it was making ticking noise or not, this doesn't matter in this case nor does the ram that was returning errors. What matters now is the replacement psu that may have damaged my systems. You don't always HAVE to see a burn mark on the motherboard to know that the psu might have caused damage to it.

Sherif, you asked for opinions and I gave you one based on the information you provided. You did not mention a 4 month time period in your first post.

This sentence here makes it look like you suspected damage before even RMA'ing the PSU the first time.

I then decided to run memtest on my Corsair 8gb Vengeance memory and it returned errors. Also around that time, i noticed that my Corsair tx850 v2 was making a scary ticking noise. By that time i immediately RMAed both psu and ram to corsair to avoid further damage to my OLDER computer

I understand you took the components to a computer "store" and they didn't have a MB suitable to test them with , but any reputable shop would have a way to test both.

At that time i immediately called Corsair technical support and they told me to maybe try the psu and ram on another computer (which was a horrible idea and I don't know why I gave the psu and ram the benefit of the doubt after I saw how the psu might have damaged my older system)

It's not a horrible idea...it's basic troubleshooting. If a component doesn't work you try it in a known good system. But again, you stated that you suspected damage to the MB but did not differentiate if this was before or after the first RMA, and what made you suspect damage to the board in the first place?

All I was getting at was that I thought it was taking the wrong path in RMA'ing both ram and PSU again when you were not sure which one was causing the problems.

And i just asked what made you think that the MB was damaged? No need to get defensive over it. The wall of text and the way you explained your situation is extremely hard to follow.

Archived