Corsair Community

Corsair Ax1200i passing test but

Marcus Anthony

I wanna say first thank you guys so much for helping me. I love Corsair products and have been using them for awhile and never have I had an issue until now. Again thank in advance for the help

{ My Problem }

When testing my Corsair Ax1200i with the paper clip method and plugging a 120mm fan up to the PSU I get the PSU fan & and 120mm system fan to turn on. But after 30 seconds the PSU fan will slow down and then stop. All the while the system fan continues to spins. It's been spinning for over 20mins now and for that same time, the PSU fan hasn't spun. I do have a green light next to the self-test button on the PSU so everything seems ok. I maybe thought the psu fan should have spun along with the system fan correct.

I'm wondering all of this because when i attempted to boot the pc up with this psu all I got was click. System wouldn't cut on at all.

The PSU fan won't spin until it's got a heavy (I think 40% or higher) load on it. A case fan just won't do that.

PSUs typically don't turn on when they detect a short circuit. I would plug in a single device at a time (starting with motherboard) and add one device at a time to see where it stops working.

The PSU fan won't spin until it's got a heavy (I think 40% or higher) load on it. A case fan just won't do that.

PSUs typically don't turn on when they detect a short circuit. I would plug in a single device at a time (starting with motherboard) and add one device at a time to see where it stops working.

I plugged it up to the 24pin motherboard and 8 pin cpu1. I also ran a 8pin + 6 pin to power 1 of my 980 ti's up. System cam on and went to my bio's screen. I didn't have long because This is a watercooled system and didn't have my pump connected. Sitting at the bio's screen the fan slowly came to a stop. Wasn't that enough devices so that the psu would keep spinning?

Generally Idle power draws are not enough to spin the fan. You should see it spin when running a benchmark or playing a game, assuming the game can hit the system hard enough to pull a 40% load on the PSU.

I shot a video so that you guys could see my issue. It's unlisted so you'll have to click this link>

[ame]

[/ame]

And that's exactly what I just did. I ran Ghost Recon Wildlands for about 20mins. A very demanding game. The Corsair X1200i fan only spun for 30 seconds when I turned my system on. This is everything I had plugged into the Corsair X1200i.

7700k was Oc'ed to 5ghz

2x 980 ti's in sli

1 ssd

2x Hdd drives

watercooling pump

2x 120mm fans to cool the radiator

and of course the 24pin and 8 pin to power the motherboard.

After playing Wildlands for 20mins I returned to the desktop confused. The psu had got a little warm and that was about it. Psu fan never turned on. I installed Corsair link to manual try and turn the fans on but the X1200i doesn't show up in the main list to config.. what gives

• Corsair Employee

Hi,

You would need to pull 40% load for the PSU's fan to turn on and honestly from the specs you've provided I don't think you're pulling that much wattage. Also in regards to it not being picked up in Clink, Do you have the Link cable connected to a USB header on the motherboard?

PC's don't draw as much load as you seem to think. They are relatively efficient. You'd have to have everything running at full bore 100% (which is doubtful that you could do with Wildlands) and you *might* hit 700W. Doubtful ... but you might.

The fan works. It'll come on when it's needed. Are you having any issues besides your concern about the fan not coming on? Do you have any reason to believe that the PSU is overheating?

PC's don't draw as much load as you seem to think. They are relatively efficient. You'd have to have everything running at full bore 100% (which is doubtful that you could do with Wildlands) and you *might* hit 700W. Doubtful ... but you might.

The fan works. It'll come on when it's needed. Are you having any issues besides your concern about the fan not coming on? Do you have any reason to believe that the PSU is overheating?

Nope. No other issues other than never seeing the psu fan cut on except when I boot the pc and it spins for the first 30 seconds. Honestly I've never seen anything like this. But then again I've never had a Psu anywhere close to this so I might be out of the loop a bit.

Hi,

You would need to pull 40% load for the PSU's fan to turn on and honestly from the specs you've provided I don't think you're pulling that much wattage. Also in regards to it not being picked up in Clink, Do you have the Link cable connected to a USB header on the motherboard?

I bought it used and the guy didn't have the Comm Link usb thing. I realized that's what I needed to get the psu to show up in Corsair link. I'm going to order one. Anyone know where they sell these. My google search failed me.

Thanks for the help guys : )

• Corsair Employee
I bought it used and the guy didn't have the Comm Link usb thing. I realized that's what I needed to get the psu to show up in Corsair link. I'm going to order one. Anyone know where they sell these. My google search failed me.

Thanks for the help guys : )

You'll need two parts, CP-8920117 and CP-8920019 are what you'll want to get! You can purchase them from corsair.com.

Archived