Corsair Community

H115i Platinum: USB reconnect every now and then, lighting goes crazy

momorious

Hi!

My H115i Platinum reconnects to USB every now and then and the RGB lighting goes crazy then.

So every now and then I hear the USB disconnect Sound, the pump goes into Rainbow Wave Standard mode. Few seconds later the USB connect Sound Comes and the pump goes back to the lighting profile but the lighting goes completely crazy. For example I had the outer ring set to arc mode. After this reconnect the outer ring stutters like crazy. Or in a different profile I had the outer ring static White and the inner ring static red. After this reconnect the inner ring goes static white and the red goes into arc mode on top of the static White outer ring.

Here a Video:

[ame]

[/ame]

Note that there should NOT be any arc style red leds moving. The Corsair logo should be static red!

I already tried different USB cables as well as different internal USB ports of my Motherboard. I also reinstalled iCUE. Nothing helps so this is an issue with the pump for sure. As this is already my replacement pump and the first pump did the exact same reconnect Thing every now and then, I can say for sure thats not an individual issue of this pump but more a General Problem it seems.

Anyone else with this Problem?

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, Firmware 1.0.033 is installed.

Because this happened to the first pump also I don't believe it is an issue with both of my h115i Platinum pumps but more a general driver issue.

Well ... it doesn't happen on my second one. And quite a few members on the beta team have had these for a while ... I was the only one with that particular issue.

Out of curiosity ... how is yours connected to USB? (I'm looking for a common thread, perhaps.)

Mhm? What do you mean with how is my pump connected to USB? With the angled USB cable plugged in on the side of the pump and the other end into one of my two available internal USB headers on my motherboard. Happens on both USB headers. Also happens when I connect it to a USB header of my CoPro. Also happened with the first pump with therefore a different cable. So either I have very bad luck and both pumps have this rare issue (but I doubt this is the case) or there is a different issue which could be driver related. Or iCUE related... But I doubt that it's an issue with both pumps...

Mhm? What do you mean with how is my pump connected to USB? With the angled USB cable plugged in on the side of the pump and the other end into one of my two available internal USB headers on my motherboard. Happens on both USB headers. Also happens when I connect it to a USB header of my CoPro. Also happened with the first pump with therefore a different cable. So either I have very bad luck and both pumps have this rare issue (but I doubt this is the case) or there is a different issue which could be driver related. Or iCUE related... But I doubt that it's an issue with both pumps...

Yeah, I meant what USB port it was connected to. Mine is through the CoPro ... but, of course, it's working now. Again, just looking to see if there's a common thread because, AFAIK, we're the only two that have seen it. And, TBH, it's not happening with my second cooler. And no one else on the beta team (and quite a few have the Plat coolers) have reported this issue either.

So ... if it's software related, then what's the common thread between our software setup? (again ... I'm not seeing the issue with my second cooler, with the same software setup) Or was it a flaky batch that I got one from and you got two from? I don't know but I don't think that it's a general issue; if it was, others on the beta team would have had the same issue and no one else has. But I am curious as to what the root cause is.

mhm, so I dont know what to do.. Return this replacement pump to get a 3rd one..? Not a very good light for a new product to return 2 pumps within 1 week tbh when I know this thing is in beta testing since at least 3 months as you said. I am also a betatester for a very popular simracing Hardware manufacturer and when there would be a customer which needs at least 3 tries within 1 week to get a flawless product I think I would no longer be a betatester for them because it would mean I did not my Job right… In the end some issues Always can happen in the wild but there shouldnt be two product with the exact same issue ..

Maybe someone from Corsair can jump in and try to identify the root cause of this issue without the Need to return the second pump because for another replacement pump I would Need to buy a new thermal paste because I only use the Kryonaut thermal paste and not the stock paste which is applied on the cooler so this can get very expensive if I Need to return it again (and without a guarantee that a possible 3rd unit would not have this issue)…

Man, this pump COULD be the one I dreamed of the last years with a nice design and proper RGB lighting which syncs with all my other Corsair stuff but beside the hum Sound now this USB reconnect Problem really makes me curious if I should go back to X62 and wait for a H115i RGB Platinum v2 in half a year… :/

For official help, the best thing to do is to open a support ticket.

I just did. I hope to get a fast answer so they can help me with this extremely annoying issue before the return period Ends.. In this state the pump is completely unusable when the Connection gets lost every few minutes...

Oh well, I *might* have found the cause of the USB reconnect…

It seems that it is directly related to the LED lighting - so Maybe something which indeed can be solved with a Firmware upgrade?!

At least I now did not had one USB reconnect in the last 2 Hours. All I did was turning OFF the RGB lighting on my H115i Platinum. As soon as I turned the lighting back on I got a USB reconnect a few minutes after. So there seems to be correlation at least. I will have to check if it is related to my specific Desktop idle lighting mode, which is static White with Color Code 255/255/255 with 60% for the inner 4 leds and ARC in slow mode with Color Code 160/160/160 for the outer 12 leds because this only happened when I was on the Desktop with this specific lighting or in Rainbow-Wave mode )so modes where the lighting "moves"). In games I only have static RGB lighting.. Will check tomorrow if that also happens when I just make the lighting to static White for my Desktop profile.. So my best guess for now is that this issue is either related to the "arc" lighting or lighting in General...

@DevBiker: As you are a Betatester you will have some Connections to Corsair. Maybe you can Forward them with this info so they can have a look at this?!..

If all this is true another new replacement pump would have the exact same issue as my previous two pumps which makes another replacement useless for now until this possible Firmware issue is not being investigated further...

I have two LL140 connected to the Platinums Fan header. However, the lighting from them is still controlled by my Corsair Fan LED Hub as well as 3 other LL140 fans..

As you may still have your h115i platinum installed, maybe worth a try to test my above settings?

So slow Arc mode for the manually selected 12 outer leds with clockwise direction and static white for the manually selected 4 inner leds...

Or more simple rainbow.. That two lighting profiles resulting in the USB reconnect issue. As said, did not happened in Game with a pure static color profile and also not without any lighting of the pump at all.. (all fans still have their leds enabled, just disabling the 16 leds of the pump seems to solve the issue, well, solve is wrong as the lighting is the main reason to buy this pump over the pro so the lighting has to work properly and disabling it is not an option...)

So ... you do not have any fans configured for lighting on your Platinum cooler?

If you can export one of the problematic profiles, I can import it; that way we can make sure that I have the same thing. If you can PM them to me, I'll import it to see if I can repro. But my new pump has been good ...

EDIT: You said rainbow, right? Which variation of Rainbow? I can set that up easily enough.

So ... you do not have any fans configured for lighting on your Platinum cooler?

If you can export one of the problematic profiles, I can import it; that way we can make sure that I have the same thing. If you can PM them to me, I'll import it to see if I can repro. But my new pump has been good ...

EDIT: You said rainbow, right? Which variation of Rainbow? I can set that up easily enough.

Its spiral rainbow ^^

Here the two "problematic" profiles. Will check later today if this happens also with static Color profile or really just with These profiles where the lighting is "moving"... Lets hope this lighting is really the cause of the issue and you can reproduce it so Corsair can have a look at this…

And no, I dont have any fans configured for lighting on the platinum. All lighting is configured to the Fan LED Hub.

White Desktop.cueprofile

Spiral Rainbow.cueprofile

Its spiral rainbow ^^

Here the two "problematic" profiles. Will check later today if this happens also with static Color profile or really just with These profiles where the lighting is "moving"... Lets hope this lighting is really the cause of the issue and you can reproduce it so Corsair can have a look at this…

And no, I dont have any fans configured for lighting on the platinum. All lighting is configured to the Fan LED Hub.

So, to be clear : In the Lighting Setup for the H115i Pro, you have this set to "None"?

Just want to make sure that I understand.

And yes, I've been talking with the Corsair tech folks about this thread as well as the issue that I was having. My problematic cooler is on it's way to them as well so they may be able to use that for a repro.

Update: 5 Hours with a White static Color profile for the Platinum and NO usb reconnect! Really seems to be related to a "moving" Color profile like arc or spiral rainbow.

So big Question: is this a iCUE or Firmware issue which can be solved without the Need to RMA this pump or is this an issue of this specific pump (and my previous pump.. so actually 2 of 2 pumps within one week have this issue which makes me guess ist NOT related to the pumps..)

I was able to get this to happen on Spiral Rainbow. (Thanks, btw, for making me turn my entire office into a Unicorn Barf Zone.)

I captured a bunch of logs and sent them over to the Corsair team for analysis.

That said, it was just the lighting that froze and restarting the service restored the lighting. The cooler and fans appeared to be operating properly.

ooooooh thats actually nice to read!

So this is indeed related to moving lighting profile of the pump and not a Hardware issue so I can Keep my pump without returning it for another replacement pump??? :)

Because, obviously it now really seems to affect every pump when yours was fine until spiral rainbow test… And a third pump would nearly 100% suffer from the same issue if it is Software or Firmware related I guess?!

Will see if restarting the Service restores the lighting for me as well..

I really hope Corsair can fix this issue relatively fast because I bought this pump especially because it can have arc lighting and not just static lighting and when this arc lighting now is bugged the pump is Pretty much pointless for me..

btw, I did not got any Reply to my ticket.. It was said that someone will get back to me latest 2 days later which is now over - without any Reply to my ticket.. Glad that you have better Connections so they are Aware of the Problem and what might be the root cause..

Edit: Just got a reply 10 minutes after I posted this message.. With the reply to check if I have my USB power saving disabled in the power plan.. Well, of course it is... Hoped for a better answer after 2 days... :/

Edited by momorious

I suspect - and don't take this as anything official or even anything at all from Corsair as they've given me no indication - that it's something in the service. Especially since restarting the service resolved the issue.

And no comment on the Unicorn Barf Zone? Thanks. I have strips outside the case and had everything on Spiral Rainbow. I suppose that you are pleased with yourself for that. ;-)

I suspect - and don't take this as anything official or even anything at all from Corsair as they've given me no indication - that it's something in the service. Especially since restarting the service resolved the issue.

And another message which is nice to read!

So now lets just hope Corsair is able to fix this issue within their service so we all can use moving lighting profiles again .. :)

You think it needs a new iCUE version for a hotfix for their service? Because that would mean roughly another month at least... :(

Forgot a cmt about the Unicorn Barf Zone .. well, pretty funny if you ask me.. :D haha. :D But normally it would be enough to just have spiral rainbow on the pump, no need to enable full unicorn style. :D

Another thing, you said it's just the lighting that froze and restarting the service fixed the lighting.

For me the lighting is not freezing completely... So lighting is just a bit bugged after the USB disconnect like stuttering arc for example.. But sometimes I get a USB disconnect, the pump goes from white arc into spiral rainbow mode and reconnects into white arc just fine without any lighting issue...

I hope we speak about the same problem here because my lighting ist not completely freezing... ?