Corsair Community

Push-Pull on the H100i GTX???

kc5vdj

Will the fan controller on the H100i GTX support fan splitters and push-pull?

If not, will the block still operate with the fan ribbon cable chopped at the block itself, and fans connected to the motherboard instead?

This came up a month or two back, but I can't find the thread. The new fan controllers on the GT series are supposed to be sturdier than the predecessors, but I would be hesitant to put all 4 on it. You certainly can put all 4 fans on the motherboard if you have the pins available and run your fan programs through there.

The option I might go with is the leave the push fans hooked into the GTX controller and run the pull fans off the motherboard at either a low to moderate fixed RPM or their own slightly lower speed fan curve to help with the noise.

• Corsair Employee

Personally I'd go for it and at least try to split the fan headers on the H100i GTX. Fans really don't draw that much current.

If worse comes to worst, you just do what c-attack suggested and go back down to two fans on the H100i GTX's headers and plug the other two into your motherboard.

Personally I'd go for it and at least try to split the fan headers on the H100i GTX. Fans really don't draw that much current.

If worse comes to worst, you just do what c-attack suggested and go back down to two fans on the H100i GTX's headers and plug the other two into your motherboard.

That's what I'm thinking I'd do, because of the warranty.

Also, are there any plans for offering accessories for these and the H110i GT? For instance, SP120L/SP140L ***LED*** fans? Dropping down to the SP series as it sits now would seem to have a much lower static pressure....

• 5 months later...

trying to run push pull on h100 gtx but you really cant unless you run two of the fans to MB or use a splitter which i have no idea where to get them or even what to google. Did anyone come up with a good solution to this? Im honestly shocked that corsair would do this to enthusiasts knowing full well people will want to run push pull. Ive even thought about going back to the standard h100i as the GTX doesnt offer anything better to the community. Its actually a step or two down.

Anyway, does anyone have a good suggestion at least on where to get a fan splitter?

trying to run push pull on h100 gtx but you really cant unless you run two of the fans to MB or use a splitter which i have no idea where to get them or even what to google. Did anyone come up with a good solution to this? Im honestly shocked that corsair would do this to enthusiasts knowing full well people will want to run push pull. Ive even thought about going back to the standard h100i as the GTX doesnt offer anything better to the community. Its actually a step or two down.

Anyway, does anyone have a good suggestion at least on where to get a fan splitter?

It's a $4 Y splitter. Google it /search for it on Amazon /Newegg etc.

Also ( cant believe I didn't notice you said this before), the old h100i is garbage. The GTX is much better. You got it backwards.

It all depends how much current the fans use. H100i GTX has 1A single header built in. it is splitted once so there is 0.5A per connector. Stock fans are 0.28A, so the rest can be used for another 2 fans. Exceeding the 1A can burn the controller. Best Way is to handle 4 fans with Commander Mini because the fan controller on the H100i GTX is weak.

It all depends how much current the fans use. H100i GTX has 1A single header built in. it is splitted once so there is 0.5A per connector. Stock fans are 0.28A, so the rest can be used for another 2 fans. Exceeding the 1A can burn the controller. Best Way is to handle 4 fans with Commander Mini because the fan controller on the H100i GTX is weak.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to try this.

Okay so i did some research and found that the stock fans that come with the h100i GTX are .25amps. So, theoretically the splitter cables should work. The reason i want to go this route is because its much much cheaper than ordering the commander mini and its a very simple clean solution. I am going to try the splitters and see what happens. If that fails then i will go with the fan controller. Thanks guys!

Hopefully it's not a 1.0A limit or you will need more than a new fan controller. Several months ago I thought we established the GTX controllers went up to 2A, but I am having trouble finding any documentation at all. It's a rather critical difference and that 2A may have been for the H110i GTX only. Hopefully someone else remembers the discussion or can point you toward a credible source. If the unit only receives power from a motherboard header, it would seem logical that would be a limitation as well.

Hopefully it's not a 1.0A limit or you will need more than a new fan controller. Several months ago I thought we established the GTX controllers went up to 2A, but I am having trouble finding any documentation at all. It's a rather critical difference and that 2A may have been for the H110i GTX only. Hopefully someone else remembers the discussion or can point you toward a credible source. If the unit only receives power from a motherboard header, it would seem logical that would be a limitation as well.

I've heard of this conversation that was had. I really wish i could find it. It would save me a lot of trouble. From what ive read its 1amp but ive never seen the spec myself. AHHHHH dont know what to dooooo! lol! maybe illl just push and say fk it.

This isn't necessarily directly applicable to the H100i GTX, but I hope it can help. Just the other day I spoke to Corsair technical support, who pinged engineering for me regarding this same issue but for an H100i.

The H100i has two ports and two splitter cables for a total of 4 fan headers. I was told by technical support that each port is rated at 1 amp maximum, so when split each header can draw 0.5 amps. This is fine for most fans (check the specs - don't start a fire). Sanyo denki fans for instance wouldn't work lol. Or if you're considering running multiple splitters off of each other like a certain someone :sigh!:

The old H100i was powered by a Sata cable, but the H100i GTX is only powered from a motherboard header, so I would expect the fan power supply to be less. Discussions on here have indicated that the improvement in temps with a push/pull system is only about 2 to 4 degrees, with an increase in sound level. I tried it once with an H100i and I got a 2 degree improvement with an increase in noise that was not acceptable.

Archived