Corsair Community

Malfunction

Badman5

Day 2: Second day with my keyboard. Evey thing was working fine. Today typing works but nothing else. No lights do not work at all. CUE software says keyboard status is "malfunction". Software keeps asking for a firmware update. Keyboard has newest firmware (just updated yesterday). Tried updating firmware but after 10 min firmware update did not go throu. Can i please get some support here?

yeah 181 meg of memory eaten up buy the program only to crash every few minutes WTF.

My K95 RGB barely works as a normal keyboard as i keep having to unplug it and plugging it back in.

The firmware has just updated and now I can only select North America,Chinese, Taiwain keyboard layouts, Where is my UK layout gone, WTF is wrong with corsair.

Does anyone have a real way to fix my problem. I'm sure it's the firmware, but every time I log in, I have a different experience with my k95 rgb. Most of the time the lights will all be off, and others they will be set to default where it was red and white. The lighting assignments do not work. The volume rocker doesn't work. Brightness button doesn't work. I open up the Corsair Utility Engine and try to fix things. I can get the lights to stay on, if I set them to activate with mode (instead of on keypress, because that won't work). I can't always get access to the Profiles tab of the software. My macros aren't working, and last but not least, my M1 button is always a different color light than what I assign. Currently I have the whole keyboard set to solid red to avoid trouble, and it is glowing blue. I know it's not the led because if I do a Play Foreground test, it works perfectly fine. I've tried every default fix: restarting, replugging it in, uninstalling/reinstalling software. SORRY for the long post, but can anyone help???

My k95 worked the first time i connected it, one reboot later i have no control over the lighting, wich have taken on a life of its own. It also won't work with nordic layout. I'm left with an unuseable keyboard with complete random lighting If any at all... This going back ASAP, and I'm real sad about it because i really thourght this would be a cool keyboard :mad:

I'm having the same sort of problems. So far, no response to my support request. Corsair must be stumped. Re-installing the CUE/firmware will solve the problems until the next reboot. Guess I will go back to my k95 Vengeance keyboard until I see an upgrade to the download. I love the keyboard(browns), but really wonder how Corsair will be able to keep offering them if people start returning these like they did the K95 Vengeance. I would like to know if the K95 RGB works with any particular brands of mother boards.

If there is no activity on the keyboard or after some period of time same issues as above. Stop software in Task Manager and un/re-plug USB (3.0 single plug setup) and maybe it works for a bit or, complete reboot and re-plug. Nice keyboard but so far buggy program code. How many times does it need to ask for a firmware update that has been done? Corsair needs this fixed or folks will give other RGB's out next year a try. Razer synapse works better than this and products are less expensive. Also, who's bright idea was it to show the custom key steps you've created (ACTIONS tab) but not show the key they are currently assigned to on the same page. Somebody in QA needs an *** chewing. This is basic stuff guys. :sigh!: P.S. I notice that NOBODY is getting any reply/response to this thread from a Corsair moderator and that in itself, especially for a much trumpeted $190 product, is some really poor customer relations IMO.

• 2 months later...

Still having this issue.

I saw a few days ago that some said Corsair was not currently working to update the firmware but shortly into 2015 they would be releasing a new patch. Are these issues going to be fixed? I currently have a [non corsair] mouse and I have to have both software running at the same time. My [competitors software name] has not had single bug since I downloaded it 2 years ago. Mouse always works as intended. This keyboard however, has massive amount of glitches and the software is hardly user friendly. I've seen people actually resort to hard coding and typing out the scripts because using the software is just ridiculous if you want to do anything more than set a few backgrounds and maybe 3-4 effects.

I have a ton of Corsair products and I'd like to stand behind them (SSDs Cases Memory all work flawlessly, including softwares that go with them) but it appears that when they changed their icon they changed their company too. If I have to get a [another name brand] keyboard it won't bother me, I was thinking about picking up a Corsair mouse so I could drop the double software, but it looks like maybe it'll be the other way around. [non corsair producer of my mouse] has had no issues and they were extremely nice to me when my cable was fraying and sent a new one within the week for free. I like supporting companies that support me.

They keys constantly freeze (lights) the last patch said they fixed it for when people pressed lock keys repeatedly. That's cool, I'm not sure who spams their lock keys, there is a shift key for that. They are called lock keys because they lock on and then lock off not on/off/on/off. What about freezing on startup? Everyone starts up. What about starting a Steam game (just found this one out, appears it's widespread as well)? Lots of people play Steam games. I hate unplugging and plugging it back in every 15-20min. Half the time the software just says Malfunction and I can't recall doing anything that would cause glitch.

On top of having to unplug replug, the software then takes a good minute to recognize that I plugged it in. There should have been an option when buying to select 3.0 USB or 2.0 USB. I hate having a USB just dangling in the back of my PC because I actually have an updated MoBo. This was a Christmas gift, but I asked for it explicitly, so I would have no issues saying, I made a mistake and return it for another cheaper RGB board.

It was fun the first 2 days I had it when the stuff was new to me and it was exciting. Now it's just glitchy and annoying.

Can there not be a better way to at least get around the Malfunction status? Shouldn't the program have a button to reload something? I hate to think that unplugging and plugging in is something that can't be done with a few lines of code. I know sometimes things are hardware related and require hardware fix (unplugging) but a glitch that happens when I start a program should not require hardware fix. Going back there to unplug it and plug it back in just makes me realize that other USB 2.0 thing is just dangling back there... I want to cut it off. This damn cable is so fat and bulky... but I've seen in other threads that some workarounds to current bugs require using USB 2.0.

EDIT: I took out competitors names because I just reread the rules. I wasn't trying to be sly sneaking them in, I read other users posting other competitors and didn't thing about the rules until, as I just said, re-read them. I just have another name brand mouse and I was pointing out that it has no issues like this and I have both software running simultaneously so it's not an issue with my setup causing malfunctions. Also, I have found that changing the polling rates (bios selector) will reset the board the same as unplugging and replugging the cables. It takes a second, at first it looks like it's still frozen, then it starts the lighting sequences again. I haven't had the lock key issue again yet that actually causes inputs not to go through, but I hope this fix (switching bios mode) will fix that as well so I don't have to unplug it anymore.

Finally, it's been more than a week since this post. I didn't create a new thread, but if this thread has been buried and no one plans on answering here I'll start a new one soon. I'd like to get some answers as to when these sorts of issues will be fixed before the window to return this keyboard closes. Customer service ratings for the new year aren't going to look so good if there are threads with multiple users simply looking for a response going unanswered. There simply needs to be a response here, more than 10 users have posted this same issue, I'm sure it's affecting nearly everyone and those "not affected" simply aren't using it often or in the manner it was intended (CUE customization and such). Please Corsair, make an official statement and stop leaving us hanging. Even if it's just to say you know people are having the issues, I feel like I'm posting on a literal wall outside your building and no one has bothered to go outside and read it.

I've been having these issue since the day I bought my keyboard about a week ago. Hangs upon launch of steam, or any other game and same for spamming any keys. Sometimes it would just hang after a an hour or so for no reason. Tried everything from workarounds to bios updates etc. Even tried plugging it into 2 USB 2.0 ports instead of a 3.0 port.

Just today I read somewhere that someone with this issue plugged the keyboard into a Intel USB 3.0 port instead of the Asmedia USB 3.0 port and it seemed to resolve the issue.

So I tried it, and WALA, all the issues I seemed to have disappeared. Now I can spam any button on the keyboard, as well as launch any game including steam and the keyboard doesn't go into psycho mode. I'm guessing it's some sort of compatibility issue with the Asmedia USB driver. An update on that driver might help but I havent tried it since I do have the Intel USB 3.0 ports for use and it solved my problems.

Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

• 6 months later...

Well I just spent the last 5 minutes registering to complain about this issue. But As I click "Quick Reply" The issue has abated, coinciding with a Windows Update...

The Latest updates have all been for other USB devices, so potentially a conflict has been resolved.

Good luck folks, hopefully this post will at least bump you up for a response from Corsair.

Update: Well I restarted for the Windows updates and it re-occurred. So much for that.

• Corsair Employee
Well I just spent the last 5 minutes registering to complain about this issue. But As I click "Quick Reply" The issue has abated, coinciding with a Windows Update...

The Latest updates have all been for other USB devices, so potentially a conflict has been resolved.

Good luck folks, hopefully this post will at least bump you up for a response from Corsair.

Update: Well I restarted for the Windows updates and it re-occurred. So much for that.

We resolved almost all of the malfunction issues with the keyboard and we have this same motherboard in our labs as a major test system. Make sure you've updated to the latest BIOS version as X99 still to this day will have issues related to the hardware.

• 2 years later...
I just started running into this issue in 2018. I have a X99 motherboard as well. Is there anything I can try? K95 RGB says Malfunction when I am typing in a specific software. Other software works fine like in Chrome. Seems to happen like clockwork in my work application when I am trying to fill out details in description boxes. That's the only place it seems to happen.

Archived