Corsair Community

New fans fried my H100i pump?

xii4obear

I installed 2 new Coolermaster Jetflo fans the other day, and everything went well, the fans ran normally.

I then tried out the 'silent mode adapters' that came with the fans. Everything still going well. I removed them as they made the fans spin a bit too slow for my liking.

When I tried to boot again, my motherboard threw a CPU FAN error. I then double checked all my connections. It's then that I realized that my H100i's LED was not on.

The fans decided to go boom on me then too, 1 stopped spinning entirely, the other one would spin for a little bit and then stop repeatedly. Both fan's LED still turn on so I can confirm they're both getting power. I have since replaced the fans, but have not connected them to my H100i yet.

THINGS I TRIED-

I tried out my stock Corsair fans that came with the H100i, and they worked fine, spinning without problem, but my motherboard still threw me the CPU FAN error.

I tried to connect the stock fans directly to the CPU_FAN header, and that resulted in no CPU_FAN error, so I assume it's not a faulty header.

I tried turning off ASUS's QFan control in the BIOS.

I tried hotplugging the pump.

I tried another USB header.

LED refuses to light up, motherboard throws CPU FAN error, corsairlink doesn't detect my H100i.

Anyone has any insight on what may have caused my H100i to fail? I've submitted a ticket but that was about 3 days ago.

this is all i found regarding fan specs for the H100i.

We've never pre qualified any after market fans that can used to H80/H100 fan controller, though we can recommend fans that have similar spec to the stock fans;

Fan Power consumption 2.2 watts

Fan dimensions 120 x 120 x 25 mm

Fan speed 1300 - 2600 rpm

Fan airflow 46 - 92 cfm

Fan noise level 22 - 39 dBA

Fan static pressure 1.6 - 7.7mm H20

Here ya go Synthohol!

Originally posted by Ram Guy:

The Max current is no more than 4 Amps total and no more than 2 Amps per fan header.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=120838&highlight=amps+total&page=2

Anyone has any insight on what may have caused my H100i to fail? I've submitted a ticket but that was about 3 days ago.

You overloaded the fan controller causing it to fail. I'm not sure you b would be able to RMA it since this would be considered user damage and isn't covered under the warranty..

I installed 2 new Coolermaster Jetflo fans the other day, and everything went well, the fans ran normally.

1- oh ******

When I tried to boot again, my motherboard threw a CPU FAN error.

2- leads on the h100i smell like popcorn?

The fans decided to go boom on me then too, 1 stopped spinning entirely, the other one would spin for a little bit and then stop repeatedly.

3- fluctuating amperage caused my load pressure

THINGS I TRIED-

I tried out my stock Corsair fans that came with the H100i, and they worked fine, spinning without problem, but my motherboard still threw me the CPU FAN error.

4- see #2

I tried to connect the stock fans directly to the CPU_FAN header, and that resulted in no CPU_FAN error, so I assume it's not a faulty header.

5- fans are fine, copper and magnets

I tried turning off ASUS's QFan control in the BIOS.

6- see #1, two different programs trying to control the same fans

7- rma wont work as it was caused by you :(

sorry but i had to buy a new one myself, however good news, 4 stock fans rock a 100i with 3770k

sorry but RG had a typo day, NO WAY are we talking AMPS, he meant watts. 4 amps at 12v = 48w. the wires would melt.

You have me wondering Synthohol. But he's stated the same thing multiple times. :confused:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=538562&postcount=7

2 Amps max per header and 5 amps total on H-100 and 2 amps per header on H80. I would suggest using the link on the left and request an RMA and explain its one of the fans that stopped working and we will send you a new one.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=665230&postcount=33

Yes 4 Amps Max and I would not even try and run it at anything over 3.5 Amps you have to leave some current for the Pump.

Thats just a couple of more. Although total max recommendation is a bit off.

I know there are more in here somewhere.

No way the stock fans are 2.2w, mine tells me 12v, 0.36A, which would bring it to 4.32w

The CM fans are 12v, 0.42A, 5.04w.

Going by the 2A per header, I'm well within my amperage.

I wish there was more documentation on the cooling products.

Anyway, I just got issued a RMA. Should I ditch the CM fans?

You have me wondering Synthohol. But he's stated the same thing multiple times. :confused:

even the SP120s are only .18a there HAS to be a confusion of amps vs watts. even my soldering iron which is basically a dead short on a stick is only 12W

The ever-popular 38CFM Delta fan is not only annoyingly loud at 46.5dBA, but it also draws 0.32Amps and 3.84 Watts of power. To avoid blowing the fan headers built into the motherboard these fans come supplied with a 3 pin-to-molex connector, which allows the fan to draw power directly from the computers power supply.

if the Delta fans at 3.84W@0.32A can blow a MB header then 4A@48W is an unrealistic spec. it HAS to be a typo.

• 10 months later...
Hi guys just bringing this thread back from the dead. I've been pointed this way by a fellow member. I want to install Delta fans rated at 1.05 Amps 1.6 max. They are the PWM fans so they can be toned down to 250 RPM I believe. I just want the extra cooling power for my really hot CPU and these Delta's exceed in everything, including noise lol. I have nothing against the Corsair fans just want some industrial grade muscle.

Hi guys just bringing this thread back from the dead. I've been pointed this way by a fellow member. I want to install Delta fans rated at 1.05 Amps 1.6 max. They are the PWM fans so they can be toned down to 250 RPM I believe. I just want the extra cooling power for my really hot CPU and these Delta's exceed in everything, including noise lol. I have nothing against the Corsair fans just want some industrial grade muscle.

it would be a better idea to connect the deltas to a separate fan controller

Even if the Controller is just powering those 2 fans? I was going to ditch the Y splitter (Hopefully there is single plug cable) and kinda want the fans going with Coolant Temps and turn up when needed. Plug the rest into the Motherboard

• 2 weeks later...
It is 4 Amps total on the fan controller for HXXXi series coolers and no more than 2 amps per header. And yes at 12 Volts that is 48 Watts.

RAM GUY! You seem to be the person to ask. What do you think will happen if I connected two reverse Y splitters to the one's coming off the H100i controller? I'm wanting to merge the splitter into one connection for a couple 1.05 amp Delta Fans. I'm just not sure how much load the one side of the original splitter can handle hence this idear :idea:

2 1.05 amp Delta Fans are too much for a 2a port

its still not a good idea to even put 2a on a 2a port as your pushing its MAX limit

80% is the max to be safe imop...

a reverse splitter would still limit the max of 2a

it would be a better idea to connect the deltas to a separate fan controller

I'm wanting the fans to run with coolant temps. I don't want to have to manually turn them up and down. I did think of that. The controller should be able to handle just those two fans alone.

2 1.05 amp Delta Fans are too much for a 2a port

its still not a good idea to even put 2a on a 2a port as your pushing its MAX limit

80% is the max to be safe imop...

a reverse splitter would still limit the max of 2a

No no. It will be one 1.05 amp fan for one 2 amp header. The controller put's out 4 amps max

• 3 weeks later...
I hope youre not talking about the AFC1212DE because despite being PWM it only spins down to around 1400rpm at 0% duty cycle

No no. Im glad you responded now I can give a little update. I threw the Delta AFB1212SHE-PWM on the H100i with one fan per channel nothing else. Works great, better than expected.

Archived