Corsair Community

i7-4790K@4.9GHz, Maximus VI Extreme, Vengeance DDR3-2400!!!!

Hello all, HackmanSD with a little update on Devils Canyon retail chips!

A client of mine has been holding his breath waiting for the DC i7 and it didn't let him down.

This is running on the Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2400 with an H110 Cooling in Push!

We knew going in, from reading reviews, that the general consensus was it would do 4.7 stable. The reviewers had trouble getting it to run stable at 4.8 and higher wasn't possible with DC.

Well, I guess we must have gotten "The Golden Chip" as it booted into Windows at 4.7 by only upping the Multiplier.

This astounded me as I wasn't expecting it to be stable without heavy tweaking!

We moved ahead and tried 4.8 with everything set to Auto in Bios....it booted into Windows but wouldn't run any benchmarks/stability tests.

The Auto voltage had it sitting at 1.28 volts so I bumped it up to 1.32...just to see.

Bam! Rock Solid at 4.8GHz!

Temps were hitting 84C during AIDA64 stress test so I deemed it safe...for a Haswell anyway!

He has plans to put this under water very soon so we wanted to see exactly how high it would clock.(Well, I wanted to see)

Bumped up the voltage to 1.34, Cache ratio to 45, XMP profile for the memory and let it boot at 4.9GHz.....and boot it did!

Went right into Windows without issue and was able to run Cinebench R15, AIDA64 Stress test for about 30 mins and 3dMark 13 Firestrike. The thing is rock stable but HOT. Temps were at 95 for most of the stress test but during 3DMark 13 not 1 core broke 90.

This was a quick and dirty overclock just for testing and has been dropped to 4.5 until I get the water cooling stuff in BUT this was the easiest Haswell overclock I have done....EVER!

Pictures are below to show where it was during testing. I'll have more time to work on the voltages once the water goes in but it seems to be thermally limited. I really think with some time and tweaking, I can get her over 5GHz easy!

[/img]

[/img]

Put prime with avx on tho that thing will hit 100 instantly...

I don't think it will be that stable, esp custom in-place FFT 864K, 1344K and 448K might still crash. But you have to give it to ASUS for their very well tuned auto settings on M6E. With many other boards you would need to manually adjust Vin, VTT and/or SA before even POSTing at those clocks.

I don't think it will be that stable, esp custom in-place FFT 864K, 1344K and 448K might still crash. But you have to give it to ASUS for their very well tuned auto settings on M6E. With many other boards you would need to manually adjust Vin, VTT and/or SA before even POSTing at those clocks.

Yeah, I knew it wouldn't be Prime stable at 4.8-9 with auto but after I went through and manually changed voltages to really support the clock, it has been.

I didn't have much time to really tweak as the temps were just too high at 4.9 but it is def thermally limited. I can't wait to see what this thing does after its under water.

OCCT easily pushed it to the throttle limit within about a minute, Haswell at this speed was expected though. As we are going a little overkill with the water cooling, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing reaches 5.2!

This is an awesome chip, too soon to know if the lottery had anything to do with it though.

Thanks for checking it out! I'll be posting a log here to show the before and after and to let you guys see how this turns out for him.:biggrin:

Keep pushing and take some photos once the rig is finished :)

Oh Trust me I will! I am going to find out exactly what this chip is capable of once I'm done.

Still can't tell if this is just a good chip or the retail chips are just better overclockers:laughing:

I have a 4770k that doesn't do 4.3 at even 1.3v lol you have at good chip. It will be delid soon tho. That can make a world of diff on 4770k.

I'm just thinking, with a 360+240 cooling this and the GPU, this thing may be pretty crazy. Are those Rads enough to cool this and a 780 Ti?

I'm just thinking, with a 360+240 cooling this and the GPU, this thing may be pretty crazy. Are those Rads enough to cool this and a 780 Ti?

That depends upon a lot of things, like pressure & flow rate (water loop) or the effective airflow / volume & static pressure (radiator) and other things (tubing size, connectors...). The cooling power of a custom loop is very hard to judge, if you don't even know all the components. However you're probably fine with 5x120mm for 24/7 clocks.

But who knows how hard you wanna push it? :sunglasse

That depends upon a lot of things, like pressure & flow rate (water loop) or the effective airflow / volume & static pressure (radiator) and other things (tubing size, connectors...). The cooling power of a custom loop is very hard to judge, if you don't even know all the components. However you're probably fine with 5x120mm for 24/7 clocks.

But who knows how hard you wanna push it? :sunglasse

I was thinking IF I get a big enough drop in temps, I can push it past 5GHz pretty easy. The games he's playing even the single GPU is overkill so I doubt he'll be overclocking it(them) at all.

Maybe you could for some quick benching, screenshots and validations, but cpu @ 5ghz is very rarely worth it for 24/7 with Haswell.

It'll be for bragging rights....Guaranteed! My customer likes to bench as high a possible. I doubt he'll run it at 5+ 24/7 just for quick benches and to say he did:biggrin:

Id shoot for 5ghz 24/7 with that chip on custom loop. I dont care tho lol. Unless your folding 24 7 itll last for years. Even with a pretty good amount of voltage. Main thing is that temps are in check. My 4770k hits 90 while load testing at 4.2 but gaming for a couple hours hottest temp recorded is 60. Pretty pissed. Don't know if its even worth delidding it. Might just sell it and get 4970k. With a delid I'm guessing this chip will max out at 4.4-4.5ghz on AIO. Not really worth the hassle. Even tho my liquid ultra should be here beginning of next week lol.

go ahead,,

ill post my results on my 4930 later on and see how it stacks up against the new chips.

my son showed me these chips a while back and said ''well i guess youll be building another computer'',,,but with 4500 in this one my wallet is mighty thin...:D:

go ahead,,

ill post my results on my 4930 later on and see how it stacks up against the new chips.

my son showed me these chips a while back and said ''well i guess youll be building another computer'',,,but with 4500 in this one my wallet is mighty thin...:D:

Do you have a build log on that one?

yes here

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=124369

in fact im sitting here trying to garner the energy to do my wire management and finish it up,,my tubing is finished along with my sheet metal

i need to update my thread on current progress...

My client got hold of some EK gear today, enough for a CPU only loop.

Going to put this i7 underwater tonight and see what she has under that dress.

Its the EK 360L Kit, got it from Microcenter for a great deal he says. He still has the rest coming from FrozenCPU too!

i have the EK-D5 Vario X-RES 140 pump/res in my build and talk about moving some water,,itl empty a full res in less than 2 seconds and also very quiet

thats 2nd speed,cant wait to try 5th speed...;):

I just got done with the loop and I must say....EK knows what they are doing.

He got the EK H30 L360 kit and is now sitting at 5Ghz stable.

IBT/aida/3DMark/ Cinebench. I threw everything I could at it and Max temp is 85 on the hottest core.

5ghz and 1.35 volts! I think we found a good one.

Archived