Corsair Community

i7-4790K@4.9GHz, Maximus VI Extreme, Vengeance DDR3-2400!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
looking good

red and black always go good together

just get that gpu water cooled...;):

Of course, we are already planning his dual loop setup in a 900D. Going full EK with dual 250ml res. The gpus will have their own 480, the cpu/Mb will have a 480/240 covering them. Overkill seems to be a theme for him.

Also going with red black and white cable sleeving. Haven't decided if we're using rigid or normal tubing yet. Also planning a good bit of acrylic to cover the drive bays and make a nice looking mid plate.

Will update as we gather info on the mode.

I have a 4770k that doesn't do 4.3 at even 1.3v lol you have at good chip. It will be delid soon tho. That can make a world of diff on 4770k.

Not sure how many more times and on more forums I have to say this but sigh... In the name of getting rid of some misinformation on the web, I'll say it again.

Delidding devils canyon is pointless. Haswell benefited tremendously due to an abundance of adhesive which left a gap between the die and the IHS. This was rectified (as you would expect) immediately.

Delidding your 4790k may grant you a few degrees (3ish) for the risk, and will gladly take your warranty for sure.

Delidding your 4790k may grant you a few degrees (3ish) for the risk, and will gladly take your warranty for sure.

Yes, you do lose warranty. It is however way more than just single digit degrees, if you have a good chip that does more than puny 4.3GHz. For some chips at 4.8Ghz+ and full load it is more like 15+ K per core. We also had users that claimed more than 25K at full load, but their chips are exceptional clockers with a very low VID around 1.000V and that was beyond 5GHz.

(I am talking about stock vs delid + LM or naked die.)

Yes, you do lose warranty. It is however way more than just single digit degrees, if you have a good chip that does more than puny 4.3GHz. For some chips at 4.8Ghz+ and full load it is more like 15+ K per core. We also had users that claimed more than 25K at full load, but their chips are exceptional clockers with a very low VID around 1.000V and that was beyond 5GHz.

I have also seen some of chips with a very high variation in temps between cores.

The owners club on over clock.net has samples seeing a difference of 20+ degrees when under load. Delidding may not get them a higher over clock but it did even out the core temps. These were on pretty good chips, running 4.7-4.8GHz.

Those samples were getting that variation because of the TIM used and replacing it fixed it.

These were on air cooling and full on water cooling. They tried to re seat the block numerous times before delidding and it really helped even things out.

A) thats what i just said (warranty) or my entire post would have no context......

B) mmkay, well you go ahead then. since the most clear portion of my post was misunderstood - let me make sure im clear here.

with 4770k it makes a tremendous difference. this has NOTHING to do with TIM. it has to do w/ overly thick adhesive not allowing proper mating of surfaces. if you believe that by simply changing out the tim on the 4770k you are gaining 15c, your delusional. please give me some of THAT tim lol.

The temperature gained (or lost) is due to the removal of said adhesive allowing the IHS to make better contact with the die.

as for the 4790k - NO you will not be gaining 15c. Common sense would dicatate intel would immediately rectify that issue and they have. Proof is in the pudding. The chips are running tens of degrees cooler than their counterparts at the same voltages and higher clcokspeeds even. Again, no TIM is THAT good ;p You could run w/ no TIM at all and then some uber good tim and your not going to see 15c.

Exceptions to every rule but i'll leave this up to you guys. Ive owned both of these chips, and have experience using them lidded and unlidded and naked as well. Sometimes on a piddly h100i sometimes on a monster ofa custom loop. After 20 years of overclocking id' like to think i have it pretty well figured out.

good luck.

I have also seen some of chips with a very high variation in temps between cores.

The owners club on over clock.net has samples seeing a difference of 20+ degrees when under load. Delidding may not get them a higher over clock but it did even out the core temps. These were on pretty good chips, running 4.7-4.8GHz.

Those samples were getting that variation because of the TIM used and replacing it fixed it.

These were on air cooling and full on water cooling. They tried to re seat the block numerous times before delidding and it really helped even things out.

a 8-15c variation is normal.

Mine was piece of crap and still had 18°C drop. Mind you it's not a 4790k but I bet you'd still have at least 10° drop. Of course this is only if you use liquid ultra. Betting the drop would be almost nothing if used regular thermal paste.

Fixed it for clarity!

A) thats what i just said (warranty) or my entire post would have no context......

B) mmkay, well you go ahead then. since the most clear portion of my post was misunderstood - let me make sure im clear here.

with 4770k it makes a tremendous difference. this has NOTHING to do with TIM. it has to do w/ overly thick adhesive not allowing proper mating of surfaces. if you believe that by simply changing out the tim on the 4770k you are gaining 15c, your delusional. please give me some of THAT tim lol.

The temperature gained (or lost) is due to the removal of said adhesive allowing the IHS to make better contact with the die.

as for the 4790k - NO you will not be gaining 15c. Common sense would dicatate intel would immediately rectify that issue and they have. Proof is in the pudding. The chips are running tens of degrees cooler than their counterparts at the same voltages and higher clcokspeeds even. Again, no TIM is THAT good ;p You could run w/ no TIM at all and then some uber good tim and your not going to see 15c.

Exceptions to every rule but i'll leave this up to you guys. Ive owned both of these chips, and have experience using them lidded and unlidded and naked as well. Sometimes on a piddly h100i sometimes on a monster ofa custom loop. After 20 years of overclocking id' like to think i have it pretty well figured out.

good luck.

The gap from the adhesive is part of it. If u swap thermal paste to any normal paste like mx4 or chill factor you only going to get MAYBE 5-10° drop. Now when you do the same thing but use liquid ultra you get these massive drops of 15-20°. Nobody has gotten a drop like that without using liquid ultra. Also if you look at review the 4790k only runs about 5-10° lower than 4770k at same voltage and clocks. People are getting better clocks on average but that's just because they have to make the cut of being under a certain voltage and able to run at 4.4ghz.

if you believe that by simply changing out the tim on the 4770k you are gaining 15c, your delusional.

Who in his right mind would delid his cpu to swap one 08/15 TIM for another one? If you are delidding your pretty sure using LM or going naked die.

There are gains much larger than your stated "a few degrees (3ish)" even for 4690K / 4790K when delidding and going LM or naked die. You don't really need to be a rocket scientist to understand why that is. You can check my home forum for temperatures during prime95 27.9 in 864K before and after delidding. We have several users that delidded like some hundred chips and the gains are pretty much consistent.

Archived