Corsair Community

H80i GT: Faulty/Shenanigans (?)

AF-IX

Hello everyone,

I purchased a new Corsair H80i GT to upgrade my build.

This is my first liquid AIO cooler and initially I was unsure of what the sound & levels are "supposed" to be. After the successful installation, I fired up the rig, made all appropriate setting changes (BIOS, Corsair Link, etc) and lurked around several forums, including Corsair's...and noted other users were experience the same "refrigerator whine" issue w/employee "Corsair Dustin" acknowledging that their devices were faulty.

I've uploaded a video (w/sound) of my H80i GT. Please confirm whether or not this is normal.

https://flic.kr/p/zLhoy9

My apologies on the video size, but was having a few issues compressing it down to size w/o affecting the sound quality itself which was vital for this assessment.

Additional info:

- BIOS: changed the CPU Fan to run at the full 12v instead of PWM mode.

- Corsair Link: set to balanced/quiet mode

- Disconnected all fans to confirm that the sound was indeed coming from pump/assembly.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Edit: Contacted Corsair's Tech Support and we tried reconnecting the pump's 3-pin cable to another fan header on the motherboard (while also adjusting the BIOS settings to match) and the pump was still making the noise. Oddly, the BIOS and Corsair Link software both report the pump's RPM speed as 800-900ish...no matter how I set the BIOS...it won't go above that. The tech support guy was unaware that anyone else had experienced any issues like this previously...even when I told him there was a bunch of guys on the Corsair forum posting about pump issues and a Corsair employee acknowledging that it was a known issue being worked on, etc.

So...I started and went through the online RMA process and chose the Express Replacement option. Fine...I guess the charges to the credit card are removed once they receive the core/defective part within 10 days.

But I have to pay for shipping the item to Corsair too?! WTF?!

This thing weighs quiet a bit and I know shipping won't be cheap since it also has to be tracked/insured, etc. I just bought this cooler 3 days ago and it's costing me an arm/leg in gas and now shipping.

If I had known it would be this much of a pain...I would've just drove 1-hr (each way) to the store I purchased it from instead and tried my luck w/another replacement unit.

• Administrators
So...I started and went through the online RMA process and chose the Express Replacement option. Fine...I guess the charges to the credit card are removed once they receive the core/defective part within 10 days.

But I have to pay for shipping the item to Corsair too?! WTF?!

This thing weighs quiet a bit and I know shipping won't be cheap since it also has to be tracked/insured, etc. I just bought this cooler 3 days ago and it's costing me an arm/leg in gas and now shipping.

It's a hold on the credit card, not a direct charge. Yes, the hold's lifted when we receive it. I'd suggest calling in and/or mentioning that you just purchased it, and attach a copy of your receipt to the ticket.

It's a hold on the credit card, not a direct charge. Yes, the hold's lifted when we receive it. I'd suggest calling in and/or mentioning that you just purchased it, and attach a copy of your receipt to the ticket.

I will upload the purchase receipt to my ticket and I'll call first thing in the morning.

Can you guys confirm that the noise the pump is making isn't normal? I'd hate to RMA something that wasn't a problem at all. It's not quite the same as the sound that previous users had experienced in other threads (see link below), but it's still there and definitely noticeable. The tech support guy that I spoke with and that watched my uploaded video wasn't exactly sure either.

Thread w/previous users' videos:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139688

All help has been greatly appreciated, thanks!

...I have to pay for shipping the item to Corsair too?! WTF?!

Update: if a Corsair product is within 30 days of purchase and requires an RMA, Corsair will send you a pre-paid shipping label that covers the shipping expense.

Quick question regarding sending Corsair the defective H80i GT; I'm assuming that anything I send in will not be returned to me, i.e. original box/packaging.Therefore, should I include the fans that came with the unit I purchased? Or just the defective pump/radiator assembly? The generic instructions on Corsair's RMA section state to include the fans as well but I've seen several posts by Corsair employees on these forums stating that the user needs to only send the radiator/pump assemblies.

Or will the 'Expressed RMA' H80i GT sent to me include fans as well?

I was thinking to ship my defective unit in the original packaging since it perfectly keeps the objects stable/safe for transport...but I'm guessing I'll never be receiving that packaging again (?)

Received my replacement unit from Corsair. Installed and played the hell out of a few games for about an hour to get the temps up. This unit works like a champ and is MUCH quieter than the first one.

Thanks for the help.

Archived