Corsair Community

Cant get CMD16GX3M4A2400C10 to 2400mhz

xmanrigger

I just installed a 16GB kit of DDR3-2400 Corsair Dominator Platinum. CMD16GX3M4A2400C10 16GB. I tried the XMP setting and with the memory set to 2400mhz, the PC wont even post. The best I can get out of this memory is 2133mhz.

Prior to buying the memory kit, I checked Corsair's website and Corsair confirmed that this memory runs on the X79 platform. I have had no luck getting it above 2133mhz. I have the latest BIOS to date installed for the motherboard. C-MOS was reset each time when swapping out memory.

Why wont this memory run under the XMP setting?

System:

- Asus P9X79 Deluxe

- Intel i7 3930K

- CMD16GX3M4A2400C10

- AX1200i

Your CPU only supports a max of 1600mhz memory . So trying to overclock them to 2400mhz is hit and miss and will depend heavily on the strength of your memory controller. There is a good article in the Corsair BLOG that help explain this a little better. (although they are trying to run 30000mhz memory the principal is the same)

They had to go through 25 cpu's to get one that would run the memory that fast. As you'll read MOST of the Ivy-bridge CPU's are capable of 2400-2666 mhz, but that still not a guarantee.

Corsair is saying that it is compatible with the x79 platform , but again when overclocking your mileage may vary.

http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/vengeance-extreme-3000mhz-setup-and-overclocking-results/

Your CPU only supports a max of 1600mhz memory . So trying to overclock them to 2400mhz is hit and miss and will depend heavily on the strength of your memory controller. There is a good article in the Corsair BLOG that help explain this a little better. (although they are trying to run 30000mhz memory the principal is the same)

They had to go through 25 cpu's to get one that would run the memory that fast. As you'll read MOST of the Ivy-bridge CPU's are capable of 2400-2666 mhz, but that still not a guarantee.

Corsair is saying that it is compatible with the x79 platform , but again when overclocking your mileage may vary.

http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/vengeance-extreme-3000mhz-setup-and-overclocking-results/

DDR3-2133 runs perfectly fine with XMP using HyperX 2133. The P9X79 Deluxe manual even says 2400mhz memory can be used in overclock mode. Corsair website says Dominator Platinium 2400mhz works on X79 platform. The QVL for the mobo hasnt been updated since 2011, so I would have thought in that time, compatible memory would be non-issue.

How can you say this memory works on the X79 platform when it clearly doesnt? There was G.Skilll memory on the QVL, but I opted for Corsair as I have used numerous Dominator kits in the past with great results. I figured the Dominator if any memory, is going to work on this board. Thanks to misleading information in Corsair's as well as Asus's, I am stuck with a $350 memory kit that doesnt work.

The P9X79 Deluxe manual even says 2400mhz memory can be used in overclock mode.

Correct...In OC mode. Which again is not a guarantee . It is saying that your MB will "support" memory up to speeds that high IF your CPU has a memory controller strong enough to run at those speeds. Overclocking is not a guarantee. And if you are using the auto overclock mode that also raises the CPU base clock your chances for running memory at those speeds dwindles even further. Modules are rated for those speeds without a CPU overclock.

Corsair website says Dominator Platinium 2400mhz works on X79 platform. The QVL for the mobo hasnt been updated since 2011, so I would have thought in that time, compatible memory would be non-issue.

Correct again. But this is saying that these modules , if your CPU can handle it will be compatible with that board at those speeds. But it will boil down to your individual CPU's memory controller.

Did you by any chance read the blog article? Even Corsair had to go through a bunch of CPU's until they found just one that would overclock that high. As I said before you may not be trying for speeds that high,but once you start trying to run memory past the 1600mhz that your CPU's memory controller is rated for there are no guarantees.

If you are lucky enough to have a CPU that overclocks well along with the MB then Corsair will guarantee that the modules will run stable at those speeds. But again, your CPU is the limiting factor. It's no fault of the memory.

Thanks to misleading information in Corsair's as well as Asus's, I am stuck with a $350 memory kit that doesnt work.

It's not mis-leading information. You just need to understand overclocking. And I don't mean that to sound sarcastic, it's not meant to. But your playing with enthusiast memory meant for serious overclocking. It's not always plug and play and once you exceed the rated speed of your CPU's memory controller there are no guarantees.

DDR3-2133 runs perfectly fine with XMP using HyperX 2133. The P9X79 Deluxe manual even says 2400mhz memory can be used in overclock mode

If the hypers are running at 2133mhz and you can not get the platinums past 2133mhz that would suggest that is where your CPU is topping out at. You may be able to reach higher overclocks , but i won't suggest those settings unless you give the okay because overclocking in general will void your CPU's warranty. Is this by any chance your first build?

Correct...In OC mode. Which again is not a guarantee . It is saying that your MB will "support" memory up to speeds that high IF your CPU has a memory controller strong enough to run at those speeds. Overclocking is not a guarantee. And if you are using the auto overclock mode that also raises the CPU base clock your chances for running memory at those speeds dwindles even further. Modules are rated for those speeds without a CPU overclock.

Correct again. But this is saying that these modules , if your CPU can handle it will be compatible with that board at those speeds. But it will boil down to your individual CPU's memory controller.

Did you by any chance read the blog article? Even Corsair had to go through a bunch of CPU's until they found just one that would overclock that high. As I said before you may not be trying for speeds that high,but once you start trying to run memory past the 1600mhz that your CPU's memory controller is rated for there are no guarantees.

If you are lucky enough to have a CPU that overclocks well along with the MB then Corsair will guarantee that the modules will run stable at those speeds. But again, your CPU is the limiting factor. It's no fault of the memory.

It's not mis-leading information. You just need to understand overclocking. And I don't mean that to sound sarcastic, it's not meant to. But your playing with enthusiast memory meant for serious overclocking. It's not always plug and play and once you exceed the rated speed of your CPU's memory controller there are no guarantees.

If the hypers are running at 2133mhz and you can not get the platinums past 2133mhz that would suggest that is where your CPU is topping out at. You may be able to reach higher overclocks , but i won't suggest those settings unless you give the okay because overclocking in general will void your CPU's warranty. Is this by any chance your first build?

Thanks for the reply peanutz. Appreciated. No, I dont overclock using auto. And no I didnt read the blog you referred to. I had bought the memory after checking Corsair's and Asus's website to confirm 2400 will run.

I have a pretty good understanding about overclocking. I have been doing it for many years. Well versed. My 3930K can easily run 24/7 at 5200mhz (1.5v). I run it at 1200mhz(idle)-4700mhz(turbo) with 1.0v-1.4v using off-set voltage. CPU isnt pinned at 4700mhz when no load. Perfectly stable. I have tried oc'ing the 2400 memory with XMP and manually, at various CPU speeds. No dice.

I have tried overclocking by multiplier, bclk, and both. Tried slacking the timings with no luck. With CPU running at 5200mhz, the best I can get out of the memory is 2200mhz. Hell, I had the Kingston DDR3-2133 at 2218mhz no problem. Any memory kit I installed in this system ran at XMP 2133 with no additional settings.

And yes, the information supplied by both Corsair and Asus is misleading. There is no mention of CPU incompatibility. It is stated by both Corsair and Asus that this memory is compatible with the X79 platform. There is no mention of what CPU can or cant run the memory. Asus even boasts that the P9X79 Deluxe is/was the first mobo on the market ABLE to run 2400mhz memory. With that said, if a 3930K and a 3960X cant run 2400mhz memory, what CPU can? Pretty bad when two of the most bad-*** CPUs on the market arent up to snuff.

I have a Rampage IV Formula on the road, so I will see how high I can get the memory on it. Kinda coincidental. AX1200 ****s the bed, replace with AX1200i. A couple days later, my P9X79 Deluxe dies.The $100 Corsair sleeved cable kit for AX1200 I bought, does not work for the AX1200i. The only cable the same is the 24-pin. I requested an RMA on the fried AX1200 over a week ago, and only the reply I got was the automated confirmation of receipt. The original email is on a HDD that is now DEAD! Cant access ticket at Corsair's website. WTF? Then I waste a crapload of money on two different memory kits trying to reach 2400. RMA'd the G-Skill Trident, but still have the Dominator.

Any chance this could be forwarded to RMA department or somebody from there can either email or PM me about the PSU RMA?

Thanks, 'rigger

Np, and I wasn't insinuating anything about your knowledge level , just trying to get an idea of what you did.know

A

nd yes, the information supplied by both Corsair and Asus is misleading. There is no mention of CPU incompatibility. It is stated by both Corsair and Asus that this memory is compatible with the X79 platform. There is no mention of what CPU can or cant run the memory. Asus even boasts that the P9X79 Deluxe is/was the first mobo on the market ABLE to run 2400mhz memory. With that said, if a 3930K and a 3960X cant run 2400mhz memory, what CPU can? Pretty bad when two of the most bad-*** CPUs on the market arent up to snuff.

They are compatible. Meaning that it can be used in that system with any of the 3rd gen Intel CPU's. And like i tried to explain before it's not about any certain model number of CPU , but rather the strength of the memory controller in the CPU. You could have 50 3930k's in a room and maybe only two of them have a memory controller that is strong enough to be able to handle those speeds. No two CPU's are exactly alike even given the same exact part number. Some overclock great and some just don't do so well. Everything you have described and tried would just suggest you have one that doesn't do so well. 2133mhz is about the sweet spot for that CPU anyway. . Much like 1600mhz was for the first gen I7's.

My old I7 920 only supports 1333mhz memory and i have no problems with 1600mhz memory . But much higher than 1700 and I hit the same problems. Even though the MB supports 2000mhz memory I'll never reach those speeds.

Please have a look at the link I posted it may help you some more

Any chance this could be forwarded to RMA department or somebody from there can either email or PM me about the PSU RMA?

Unfortunately , there is no interaction between the two. (forums and RMA dept)You should be able to log into your support account with your email. If you are recieving an error please post that here or give them a call on the phone.

Not sure where your at in the world, but if you happen to be out side the US or overseas SKYPE makes it a free call!

When the memory controllers got put in the CPU instead of the MB the game changed! :)

Again, thanks for reply peanutz.

A

They are compatible. Meaning that it can be used in that system with any of the 3rd gen Intel CPU's. And like i tried to explain before it's not about any certain model number of CPU , but rather the strength of the memory controller in the CPU. You could have 50 3930k's in a room and maybe only two of them have a memory controller that is strong enough to be able to handle those speeds. No two CPU's are exactly alike even given the same exact part number. Some overclock great and some just don't do so well. Everything you have described and tried would just suggest you have one that doesn't do so well. 2133mhz is about the sweet spot for that CPU anyway. . Much like 1600mhz was for the first gen I7's.

X79 is 2nd Gen. The S1155 i7-3770 and others are 3rd gen. No? According to Intel, this is true. Corsair states the kit I bought works on X79. I also realize the individuality and uniqueness of each CPU also. I didnt think I would have to take memory controller into account though.

The only reason I moved up to 2400mhz memory was I am thinking the DDR3-2133 at 2200mhz, is holding me back on CPU overclocks above 5200mhz. I was going to try faster memory. Performance wise, the 2133 cuts it any day.

My old I7 920 only supports 1333mhz memory and i have no problems with 1600mhz memory . But much higher than 1700 and I hit the same problems. Even though the MB supports 2000mhz memory I'll never reach those speeds.

As far as X58 goes, I had no problem whatsoever, running memory at 1866mhz or 2000mhz. One G.Skilll kit (1866), three different DominatorGT (2 1866mhz, 1X 2000mhz). This memory ran with the following CPUs on the P6X58D-E and three different X58 Sabertooth boards with memory set either with XMP or manually. Both methods worked on all CPUs/memory/mobos:

- 3x i7-950

- 2X i7-930

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1756048.png

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1757822.png

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1759762.png

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1790130.png

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1790152.png

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1790178.png

Here is one I did with a S1156 i5-760. Corsair Vengence 1600mhz memory at 1712mhz.

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1568953.png

Those are the only ones I have saved.

I didnt see the link you are referring to, and thanks for the insight. Can you post the link again?

Something funny I just noticed. If you go to Intels site, you can find lists of memory speeds are compatible with what Gen of CPU. In an early 2011 release, Intel states 2nd Gen runs 2400mhz memory. Then, anything released after Nov/11, there is no mention of 2400 memory. Hmmm.

X79 is 2nd Gen. The S1155 i7-3770 and others are 3rd gen. No? According to Intel, this is true. Corsair states the kit I bought works on X79. I also realize the individuality and uniqueness of each CPU also. I didnt think I would have to take memory controller into account though

X79 is 2nd Gen. The S1155 i7-3770 and others are 3rd gen. No? .

No, your correct. Sorry about that. But all my previous posts would still apply.

Corsair states the kit I bought works on X79. I also realize the individuality and uniqueness of each CPU also. I didnt think I would have to take memory controller into account though.

Absolutly!. Memory controllers are the biggest deciding factor to the actual memory speeds you may be able to reach. Corsair does state they work on the X79 platform and they will PROVIDING you have a CPU that will be able to handle it. I completely understand your argument and the way you are looking at it. But you have to remember you are dealing with performance parts and not generic off the shelf modules. Corsair does not come out and state it because overclocking (to a point) in itself will void a CPU's warranty however this is sort of implied when you buy "Performance Enthusiast" memory.

The only reason I moved up to 2400mhz memory was I am thinking the DDR3-2133 at 2200mhz, is holding me back on CPU overclocks above 5200mhz. I was going to try faster memory. Performance wise, the 2133 cuts it any day.

If anything , you faster memory speeds are what is holding your CPU OC back. It's a trade off...lowering your memory frequency would lessen the strain on your CPU. Your going to get a larger return on performance with a larger CPU OC than you are a larger memory OC anyway.

Just for experimental sake. Have you tried lowering your memory speeds to 1866mhz? This should allow you to raise you CPU overclock. And even going back to 1600 should allow you even more headroom. But as with anything overclocking your results may vary.

As far as X58 goes, I had no problem whatsoever, running memory at 1866mhz or

2000mhz. One G.Skilll kit (1866), three different DominatorGT (2 1866mhz, 1X 2000mhz). This memory ran with the following CPUs on the P6X58D-E and three different X58 Sabertooth boards with memory set either with XMP or manually. Both methods worked on all CPUs/memory/mobos:

- 3x i7-950

- 2X i7-930

Exactly! My 920 doesn't fare so well ...at least against yours! :) But I still reach a 4.5ghz OC and thats 24/7 for almost three years now. The other difference is I'm running 24 gig's and you were only running 6. So again I have a hell of a lot more strain on the memory controller than you do just because of the amount of memory I have compared to your tests. I can live with the lower memory speed! I know lots of people that couldn't get past 3.8 with their x58 CPUs. So yeah they vary greatly when compared to each other. I'm sure I could reach higher memory speeds with less modules and ones that are lower capacity.

I didnt see the link you are referring to, and thanks for the insight. Can you post the link again?

Sure! Just keep in mind that even though they are using 3000mhz memory the basic principle still applies.

Theoretically you could use the 3000mhz modules in the BLOG with your CPU. They would still be 100% "compatible" with your hardware. Meaning that you could use them in your system, but you may not be able to reach those speeds.

Something funny I just noticed. If you go to Intels site, you can find lists of memory speeds are compatible with what Gen of CPU. In an early 2011 release, Intel states 2nd Gen runs 2400mhz memory. Then, anything released after Nov/11, there is no mention of 2400 memory. Hmmm.

Yes and no. It's in the way your interpreting the word "compatible" As in they are capable of being used with those CPU's. No where does it say these speeds are a guaranteed thing. The only memory speeds "guaranteed" are the rated specs of the memory controller which is 1600mhz.

X79 is 2nd Gen. The S1155 i7-3770 and others are 3rd gen. No? No, your correct. Sorry about that. But all my previous posts would still apply.

Absolutly!. Memory controllers are the biggest deciding factor to the actual memory speeds you may be able to reach. Corsair does state they work on the X79 platform and they will PROVIDING you have a CPU that will be able to handle it. I completely understand your argument and the way you are looking at it. But you have to remember you are dealing with performance parts and not generic off the shelf modules. Corsair does not come out and state it because overclocking (to a point) in itself will void a CPU's warranty however this is sort of implied when you buy "Performance Enthusiast" memory.

If anything , you faster memory speeds are what is holding your CPU OC back. It's a trade off...lowering your memory frequency would lessen the strain on your CPU. Your going to get a larger return on performance with a larger CPU OC than you are a larger memory OC anyway.

Just for experimental sake. Have you tried lowering your memory speeds to 1866mhz? This should allow you to raise you CPU overclock. And even going back to 1600 should allow you even more headroom. But as with anything overclocking your results may vary.

As far as X58 goes, I had no problem whatsoever, running memory at 1866mhz or

Exactly! My 920 doesn't fare so well ...at least against yours! :) But I still reach a 4.5ghz OC and thats 24/7 for almost three years now. The other difference is I'm running 24 gig's and you were only running 6. So again I have a hell of a lot more strain on the memory controller than you do just because of the amount of memory I have compared to your tests. I can live with the lower memory speed! I know lots of people that couldn't get past 3.8 with their x58 CPUs. So yeah they very greatly when compared to each other. I'm sure I could reach higher memory speeds with less modules and ones that are lower capacity.

Sure! Just keep in mind that even though they are using 3000mhz memory the basic principle still applies.

Theoretically you could use the 3000mhz modules in the BLOG with your CPU. They would still be 100% "compatible" with your hardware. Meaning that you could use them in your system, but you may not be able to reach those speeds.

Yes and no. It's in the way your interpreting the word "compatible" As in they are capable of being used with those CPU's. No where does it say these speeds are a guaranteed thing. The only memory speeds "guaranteed" are the rated specs of the memory controller which is 1600mhz.

Thanks for the replies peanutz. Very helpful. Moreso than any other forum I posted this problem to.

As to the Intel CPU/memory compatibility lists, I was saying they first initially listed 2400 as 'compatible', but then in later releases, 2400 was removed. I do realize the 'compatibility' thing now. Just pisses me off when the chances of 2400 memory not working, far exceed the chances of having it work, and it is concidered compatible. In that case, why in the hell even mention it? That is not 'compatible' in my books, and misleading. I wish this issue would be explained better by parties. This cost me about $400 (the cost of the Dominator Kit) to find out. I was able to RMA the G-Skill ram, but I dont think they will refund a second kit.

• Corsair Employee
I think PeanutZ94 has explained this in great detail and has answered your basic questions about how to over clock. However, I am not 100% sure an RMA would help but if you want to try that please use the link on the left and we can sure try and replace the modules.

I think PeanutZ94 has explained this in great detail and has answered your basic questions about how to over clock. However, I am not 100% sure an RMA would help but if you want to try that please use the link on the left and we can sure try and replace the modules.

I think you misunderstand.

Yes, peanutz has been of great help. And basically left nothing unexplained. I am done with issue. Next posts will likely picking brains of members that have got it to 2400, and I will try what they did.

As far as the RMA goes, I wasnt referring to Corsair RMA, I was referring to returning it to the retailer.

The first kit I bought was G.SKILL TridentX F3-2400C10Q-16GTX 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-2400 CL10 240PIN 1.65V Quad Channel Memory Kit. I had no luck getting it past 2200mhz, and RMA'd back to retailer.

I have used many DDR3 Dominator memory kits for X58 and X79 (1866/2000/2133 XMP), and had nothing but stellar results. Kits were pushed well past their XMP. With that said, I figured the Dominator, if any memory, was going to do the trick. So I bought a 16GB kit of 2400 Dominator Platinum, at twice the $$$$ of the G.Skill. I was very wrong.

My f&%$-up for not digging deeper prior to buying. All indications were good to go. Even then, who knew at that point I didnt luck out and have a sweet IMC. It was a gamble. But I didnt realize the odds were stacked as high against success. Still kinda pi**ed-off though.

• 2 months later...

But you also have completely different hardware. The newer CPU's are capable of speeds that high , but still very few of them are able to achieve those speeds and be stable without much of an issue.

Congrats,thats a pretty sweet memory overclock non the less!

But you also have completely different hardware. The newer CPU's are capable of speeds that high , but still very few of them are able to achieve those speeds and be stable without much of an issue.

Congrats,thats a pretty sweet memory overclock non the less!

Just a bit of an update.

I still have been unable to run the Dominator Platinum at XMP 2400. With that said, I am able to run it at 2316mhz with 9-11-10-27-T1. With this frequency and latencies, this kit at 2316mhz, destroys the stock XMP profile of 2400mhz in speed and efficiency. Hopefuly I can retain the timings somewhat as I get closer to 2400mhz.

Been a tuff journey and huge learning curve. I have never bothered a whole bunch with memory clocking, as all memory kits I had prior ran at or above XMP.

This issue has been actually has an upside. Forced me to learn memory clocking. Starting to get a handle on it. Lots to learn yet.

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2852451.png' alt='2852451.png'>

Corsair Dominator Platinum........... ****** Ya!

only thing i had to do is add a fair bit of voltage to the memory controller ill load up what settings im using

I had tried higher vtt and vccsa (1.3v) voltages and 1.7v on the dram with no luck running stock XMP of 2400.

This is very strange because I can run the memory as 2392mhz by using the bclk to bring memory speed up. I can bench all day long with it there, but try setting XMP 2400, and PC wont post. I dont beleive it is the motherboard because I had same issue on a different X79 board with same CPU and memory.

Could somebody post primary, secondary, and third timing sets for XMP 2400? When I set XMP, the only timings I can see in BIOS are the primary. All others are set at auto.

Could somebody post primary, secondary, and third timing sets for XMP 2400? When I set XMP, the only timings I can see in BIOS are the primary. All others are set at auto.

As far as Corsair goes, they don't publish the secondary or third timings. Really they are all best left to auto as per the XMP profile.

Even if you didn't use the XMP profile, but set them manually, you would still just set the first four primary, set your freq and voltage, and leave the rest on auto. Which may be something else to try. Just don't use the XMP profile. Nothing says you need it for stability.

You can see what the value is for each line by highlighting it and hit enter as if you were going to change it and it should show you the auto or default setting

And of course , there is the possibility that is just where your CPU hits the wall and won't go any further as far as the memory controller is concerned.

Your VCCSA is at 1.65v? Or is that DIMM voltage?

VCCSA is your memory controller voltage. Thats dangerously high for even a water cooled rig!

Agreed. I was getting nervous at 1.4v. What is the max you have pushed to on vtt and vccsa Peanut?

I have gone as far as 1.39 on vtt and vccsa, and 1.92v on PPL trying to get 2400. No go. The only way I am able to get remotely close is by overclocking ther bclk. I tried starting from an 1866 frequency as well as 2133. It seems I max out at around 2390mhz. It doesnt seem to matter what I use for timings.

I will give Jimbo's timings a shot. I am thinking he meant 1.65v on the dram, not vccsa.

I don't personnally have one of those chips, but from what my friends are running and what has been suggested here on the forums is that 1.65v DIMM would be the highest you would want to go on that and no more than 1.4v VCSSA or VTT... About were you are .I've seen slightly higher VTT, but still, I wouldn't be comfortable with that either. wwwwwwwww

If it won't run at those settings then you probably don't want to take the chance of ruining a CPU over it.

But thats my thoughts on it.

I agree, he probably meant DIMM voltage just though i would get some clarification...you just never know...

cpu vccsa 1.230

cpu pll 1.800

cpu vtt 1.100

2ndcpu vtt 1.050

bckl 100.0

vttddr ab & cd voltage 0.75000

dram ch ctrl 0.500 for all channels

dram ch data 0.500 for all channels

cpu load line 30%

vccsa load line 20 %

vccsa current capability 100%

vccsa fixed frequency 300khz