Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator PC8500 2x1gb problems

xplode

Hi Ramguy!

I have been having some problems with my RAM, at least those are what i think causes my problems. Randomly, in Windows Vista, i get freezes, where my only possibility is to reset my computer the hard way, these freezes would occur when in somewhat idle state. I have the run Memtest 1.70 in DOS mode to test if there were actual errors on the RAM and guess what - at 1st run i got about 43 errors. After this I had my RAM swapped for a new couple at the computershop and thought everything would be alright. Sadly, it wasn't but i have found out now that if i reset my RAM settings in BIOS to defaults (auto = 800mhz) they can run memtest without any errors whatsoever.

Now my question is: If I can run memtest and get no errors on my ram, but they are running at lower mhz than their native 1066, are they OK, and in that case, do I just need to redo my BIOS settings?

Another thing, when running memtest, i came across the following in these forums, that I should disable USB legacy. That's quite fine with me but the only problem with that is that then I also disable my ability to access memtest because my USB keyboard stops working :) what to do?

You lose your USB keyboard when you disable Legacy USB in your BIOS because your USB keyboard is being recognized by your BIOS either incorrectly or as a legacy device. I know on some of the Asus boards some keyboards are not recognized correctly.

I have the same problem basically with the memory in Vista: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64733

You said this "but they are running at lower mhz than their native 1066"

there is a reason for that, there is no native 1066Mhz for this memory. There is no such thing as 'native 1066Mhz' for this memory. The memory is only certified under JEDEC standards for a top end of 800Mhz, and thats because there is no JEDEC standard for 1066Mhz. Actually the bandwidth for this memory is 400 Mhz but its been designed to run at 800Mhz, so the operating 'native' frequency is 800Mhz, and not 1066MHz as its labeled.

I'm using the CM2X1024-8500C5D. This memory is listed in the Asus QVL for the P5K board as certified to run at 1066Mhz, but something has changed since that certification was made or maybe its bacuse the memory was just tested with memtest and not in a real world environment. I don't get any errors in memtest with it, I do get numerous problems with it in Vista (see above link).

Last night I happen to run CPU-Z and looked at the SPD tab. This memory is identified by CPU-Z as PC2-6400. Interesting.

Additionally it identifies the timings for the memory in the timings table for 270 Mhz, 400 Mhz and 533 Mhz, on the SPD, as this:

JEDEC - For 270 Mhz, the timings are: 4-4-4-13 and for tRC its 15 @ 1.8v

JEDEC - For 400 Mhz, the timings are: 5-5-5-18 and for tRC its 22 (this is the 800 Mhz settings) @ 1.8v - and then look at the timings for the EPP 533 Mhz

EPP - For 533 Mhz, the timings are: 5-5-5-15 and for tRC its 22 (this is the 1066 Mhz settings) @ 2.1v - these are the timings labeled on the modules - these are the settings for 1066 Mhz - see the EPP? where is the 'JEDEC'? - don't exist.

See the voltage change? 1.8 volts is the JEDEC standard, but in order to make the memory even approach 1066Mhz the voltage has to be raised to 2.1 volts. 2.1 volts is not the JEDEC standard. This memory is actually PC2-6400 which complies with the JEDEC standard, this memory was only designed to operate at a top frequency of 800Mhz within the JEDEC standards. This memory is nothing more then "overclocked" PC2-6400 memory when the voltage is set to 2.1 volts. It turns out there is no memory that is specifically designed to run at 1066 Mhz without going outside of the JEDEC standards, this is because there is no JEDEC standard for 1066Mhz memory.

This memory is nothing more then re-labeled PC2-6400 800Mhz memory being sold as DDR2-8500 1066Mhz series memory. It does not operate stable or reliably at 1066Mhz in Vista no matter what. Yeah, I know there will be some that will say its working great in Vista but they are not looking behind the scenes in Vista and i'd bet they are having the occaisional crash with an app or something or a slow down at times they are blaming on Vista when in reality its probably the memory at 1066Mhz. The memory does however operate stable in Vista at 800Mhz, the JEDEC standard 800 Mhz, and there is a reason for that - the reason is that the timings for the memory management features of Vista expect to see the JEDEC standards.

I spent three weeks with this memory trying to get it to operate stable in Vista in all aspects of the operating system, it just ain't going to happen. Memtest is not going to help you determine if the memory will operate properly in Vista, memtest, while a fine little utility, is basically a quasi-standard thing adopted by a community that simply reads from memory and writes to memory to determine any bad areas of memory, it does nothing to simulate a real world usage sceinario like that of the Vista environment. Even if memtest showed no errors at all for you, you will still have problems with this memory in Vista if only its behind the scene - that occaisional app crash or stops responding for no reason, that slow down for no reason, that game that will crash for no reason, the CD that fails to burn giving you a coaster., and no, its not the motherboard or chipset because they operate reliably at the JEDEC standard of 800 Mhz. Sure, the motherboard will do 1066Mhz...IF...the memory will do 1066Mhz reliably. So the issue is not the motherboard or chipset, although you can have some of these that do not operate properly just like any electronic device, the question is the memory and if it will operate at 1066Mhz reliably in a real world demand environment. Since there is no standard for 1066Mhz there is no memory manufacturer that makes 1066 Mhz JEDEC standard memory because no JEDEC standard exists for 1066Mhz memory. I have abandoned the use of this memory for 1066 Mhz operation in Vista.There are manufacturers that do have memory, while also actually PC2-6400 800Mhz, for some reason either thru manufacturing process, materials used, fabrication of dies, or just plain luck because the guys on the line were having a good day or something, will meet the requirements of Vista, its a hit or miss thing and a crap shoot. Corsair might also have some, who knows.

It might also be considered deceptive to take a product and specifically advertise, label and sale it as something that it really isn't.

I've been reminded to say that this is all my own opinion.

Interesting stuff you're telling me here.

If I am to follow what you tell me, I gotta say it kinda blows that I can't get the full speed of my expensive Dominator's :(

Are you sure that you haven't heard of anyone at all being able to make'em run stable in vista 32/64bit or even XP for that matter?

btw does what you said: "This memory is nothing more then re-labeled PC2-6400 800Mhz memory being sold as DDR2-8500 1066Mhz series memory. It does not operate stable or reliably at 1066Mhz in Vista no matter what." go only for this Dominator memory or does it, in your opinion, apply to PC8500 memory in general?

btwbtw:) I had memtest running on my computer and, although you say it isn't of much use (at least that's how I understood it), I think it's worth mentioning again as in my first post, that i got 43 errors while running @1066mhz and zero @800mhz so memtest seems to give me a pretty good idea of whether my RAM works as they should or not.

I'm not saying thats its impossible to get the ram stable at 1066Mhz in Vista, anything is possible, it is in my opinion highly improbable to get this memory stable in Vista for all aspects of Vista on intel platforms. I've spoken to several people in the last few weeks who have this memory, none of then can get the memory stable in Vista at 1066Mhz. There is no JEDEC standard for 1066Mhz. There is an EPP standard that was developed between Corsair and Nvidia for which Corsair stated in a public announcement "We believe this feature adds overclocking convenience and performance advantages to all users", the very fact that this EPP open standard includes overclocking is a clue in and of its self. Is it or is it not a standard, they say its a standard then they turn around and call it a 'feature', they can't even make up their own minds as to what it is. The announcement is located at:

http://www.corsair.com/news/press_release.aspx?id=147110

You will notice that the guts of the press statement is focused on Nvidia and SLI. Lets see, the memory is basically overclocked at 2.1 volts which is in the open EPP standard 'feature' but not in the JEDEC standard, the EPP standard is based in part on the ability to overclock and was developed between Corsair and Nvidia. Guess who else has their own chipset - why Nvidia of course. hmmmm....

The only place in CPU-Z for the memory information where the needed information for 1066Mhz appears is under the EPP column, it is not listed in the JEDEC columns.

Just seems that it would only be right for someone to officially say for a product thats sold to the public in general that in order to use the EPP open standard attributes of the product (like the ability to make the memory operate at 1066Mhz reliably in Vista) that the chipset has to support EPP also, if that is the case.

In my opinion, the pc2-6400 thing applies generally to all memory available as 8500 1066Mhz type series ram from all manufacturers. Like I said its a crap shoot, you might get some that will perform, but those will not be apparent until you try them out.

The fact that you got 43 errors at 1066Mhz and none at 800Mhz in memtest might be an indication that either the ram might be just bad hardware wise or your settings in the BIOS for 1066Mhz operation might not be correct, if the memory is the proper memory for your system/motherboard. There could be other factors involved also. You'll need to determine these and the applicapability of the memory for your particular use or system with Corsair. However, in my opinion its unlikely that this memory will perform stable at 1066Mhz in all aspects of the Vista environment.

I'm waiting now for a fedex overnight delivery of some memory that supposedly has been tested with windows vista to operate stable in that environment at 1066Mhz.

Oh well, i've been informed that i need to say that all this is my own opinion.

Informed that you need to say?? by the Corsair Mafia? :laughing:

Well. I think i'm going to try the same as you, that being to find a manufacturer of PC8500 RAM that will actually gurantee their PC8500 RAM to be working with Windows Vista, just as stable as PC6400...

That seems like the wise solution here, cause with the Dominator's it just seems that i'm getting nowhere and back when i had my Dominator's swapped at the shop, the salesman told me that i could swap to RAM from another manufacturer if the Dominator's still wouldn't work :):

• Corsair Employee

Any DDR2 Module that runs faster than 800MHz runs at an overclocked spec. All of our XMS/Dominator modules are tested at their advertised spec and are guaranteed to run at their tested settings. With that said, not all systems will be able to run all of our memory at their advertised settings due to chipset and CPU limitations.

Xplode, Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and then load optimized defaults and set the Memory Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings to 5-5-5-15 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS), the memory frequency to 1067MHz and then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! Please allow memtest to run 2-3 passes on each module. If you still get errors, we will be happy to replace them! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

well first of all, I can gurantee that these Dominator's aren't running low speed due to motherboard or CPU limitations. If you check the specs of my rig you'll see that im running an Intel Q6600 which goes fine with that memory and also the motherboard should be able to run them just fine, it even supports DDR3 1333mhz RAM.

With focus on the RAM I will try the steps you've mentioned but I have tried it before with a large number of errors (43 errors in test no. 7). Regarding the memtest, i've been told to disable USB legacy in BIOS but that makes me unable to load memtest at all as i have to press a button to start the boot-CD...

• Corsair Employee
Were you getting errors on both modules or just one of them? If the modules are not running at 1066Mhz on your system we would want to get them replaced. However it would be unlikely that both modules would have the same issues, and fail to run at 1066Mhz at the same time, as they are all tested at their advertised settings before they leave our facility.

Iv been wondering if anyone else had had problems with this RAM. Im running 2x1G on Asus P5k-e-Wifi and after setting RAM speed in BIOS to 1066 as per motherboard manual, twice now the system has failed to post with the RAM in it. Even after the motherboard was replaced, same issue. (the first time it didnt post either with or without RAM which is why motherboard was replaced). Its an intermittent fault too, very odd one.

From what iv read on here, corsair 1066MHz C5D is not really 1066? its 800 overclocked?

• Corsair Employee

There is no official JEDEC spec for any DDR2 memory that runs faster than 800MHz, so any memory that runs faster than 800MHz is technically running at an overclocked spec. All of our modules are tested at their advertised settings before they leave our hands, so we guarantee them to work at those settings as long as your system supports it.

Like I said earlier, it would be unlikely that you would have the same issue with 2 different modules at the same time, and if both modules are giving you problems running at anything higher than DDR800 then there may be some other issue, however if you would like to try getting the modules replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it.

here are my findings today with my new system:

dominator pc-8500 (1066) with q6600 and gigabyte x38 dq6 mother board.

o.k i set everything at stock firstly. ( with 2.2v)

266fsb x9 with memory x4 multi (1066mhz) :mad: faIled memtest ( changed volts up and down not happy at all at the default stock recomendations)spent along time tuning but no joy AT ALL!

333fsb x9 with memory x3 multi (1000mhz):sigh!: passed memtest

366fsb x8 with memory x3 multi (1098mhz) failed

360fsb x 8 with a memory x 3.multi ( 1080 mhz) failed

333fsb x 8 with memory x 3.2 multi (1066mhz) Passed :confused:

426fsb x 7 with memory x 2.5 (1065mhz) passed

my head is still spinning a but i have so much work to do, i shall post more findings later.

i slackened the timings to 7 7 7 17 during the tests.. i was told this would help..once you get a pass tighten up the memory after the pass.

ive just finished my latest test so time to tighten:

as im on stock cooling im runnning a low cpu freq for now.

426fsb x7 with 4 4 4 12 timings at 1065mhz and it passed.:biggrin:

im still a bit miffed tho...because this is my second set of modules the first took 2 weeks to diagnose from a newbie perspective . i have had so many problems..but i gave corsair a second chance and i have this set now...i'm not 100 percent sure why cpuz sees them as 6400 800 mhz and my bios too ? but they seem to pass memtest if you tweak about a bit at the high 1000+ rate.

my first set was duff scan computers tested ( or so they say?) and refunded me. are these are temprimental modules? or is it a combination of settings that make them this way? it would be so great to test them in another system similar and also very different from mine just to see what results could be gathered. anyway best of luck to everyone.

peace:)

:p:

To run at 1066, you may need to increase your NB voltage a bit over the stock setting. Try 1 or 2 above the stock amount. Also, CPU-Z detects the SPD settings that are JEDEC spec. These timings are put there so that the memory can boot at the default settings of the MOBO.

hi i was reading a few posts above. i was wondering...

if i use memtest as a starting point.. once i am stable in memtest i can then move to Prime95 for a more rigorous test.

if i can pass prime95 for 12 hours would this mean the system can handle pretty much anything an audio program or video program can throw at it?

thanks for any thoughts.;):

It is so nice to see that there are many of you out there experiencing exactly the same issues as I have.

---------------------------------------------------

My setup:

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4GHz 8MB FSB1066 with G0 stepping

4GB total (4 memsticks) of Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D Dominator 2x1024MB(tot. 2048MB) XMS2-8500 1066MHz EPP

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 iP35 4DDR2-DIMM 2PCI 5PCIe SATA Raid Audio GB-LAN Firewire Socket775 ATX revision 1.0 with the latest bios version 6.

Graphics MSI GeForce 8800GTS OC 575MHz GPU 320MB DDR3 TV-out HDTV DUAL DVI SLI-ready RETAIL PCI Express

Corsair HX Series Modular Power Supply 620W

---------------------------------------------------

I have run tests for 3-4 weeks and I have no good experience.

1. I have run MemTest86+ with all sticks in and one at the time but get errors all the time. Running at stock 2.4GHz but with mems at 1066MHz and 2.1V and timings 5-5-5-15-2T (as specified)

2. I got the memsticks replaced by my shop here in Sweden but still the same problems.

3. Running at 800MHz causes no problems in MemTest86+

4. I was able to get the motherboard replaced for a new one and I am now able to get MemTest86+ to run stable for 12+ hours with all four memsticks. However, as soon as I run at the specified settings in Vista 64bit (mems at 1066MHz, 2.1V, 5-5-5-18-2T timings and CPU at stock 2.4GHz) I get errors in Orthos (2 copies running CPU and MEM stress test to stress all 4 cores) after 5-15 minutes when stresstesting.

I am NOT able at all to get these nice memories to run at the specified settings with Gigabytes DQ6 mb. It looks like many of us who are running this mobo together with Vista 64b and the memsticks above are just not able to get the system to run stable in Vista64bit.

HOWEVER, if I test with other memory chips such as Corsair DHX 2x2048MB (TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX) I am even able to overclock my Q6600 CPU to 3GHz without ANY problems in Orthos (2 copies running CPU and MEM stress test)

My conclusion is:

The Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D Dominator 2x1024MB(tot. 2048MB) XMS2-8500 1066MHz EPP wont be able to run at the specified settings on motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 iP35 and Vista 64bit.

The DQ6 mobo seems also to be more unstable with 4 memsticks instead of 2 only.

You will need to run the memories at 800MHz to get the system to run stable.

I have NO experience with these memsticks on other boards while running Vista 64bit.

So currently I am using the little bit "older" memsticks Corsair DHX 2x2048MB (TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX) running at 800MHz 5-5-5-15-2T 1.8V with my CPU overlcocked at 3GHz and 1.45 volt on the CPU and the system runs stable and cool for 20 hours or more with 2 ORTHOS running CPU and memory stress test.

All above said is my own opinion.

hello

interesting .

well i had an asus p5k premium wifi 1 month before this x38-DQ6.

i bought 2 sticks of dominator pc-8500 and they failed on that board at 1066 266 x9 i tried other settings too.

RMA 'd and scan computers refunded.

so i try again with a gigabyte but honest i have sat here for days changing bios settings and running memtest86 fail fail fail fail fail

i was sooooooo lucky and patient enough to find a couple of settings that worked.

with my other ram i can add and take away mhz in the bios ( no problem ) all i have to worry about is heat and voltage! am i going to over cook them?? is my only concern ....im never worried about memtest they simply pass each time.

but with these pc8500 even if i try adding nb volts or fsb volts they just don't like to pass memtest..so what is the point in this corsair cooling fan for overclocking? i was under the impression at the price i paid that i could overclock a tiny bit at least. i was thinking 1200 if lucky (1100 for sure )

i have heard that pc-8500 are simply hand picked pc-6400 (800mhz) sticks.

i so want these to work i love the finns and i have the fan but to RMA these again just before christmas:[pouts: im not sure how quick dabs is with rma?

peace:)

o.k ...lets give corsair some credit back....hahaha

i did as requested added some NB voltage and no luck and i was a bit upset .

BUT ...i i noticed someone else on another forum and they cranked the NB right up!!

and hey it works.....im passing memtest at 1066mhz at 400 FSB which is what i wanted,:D:

in the x38- Dq6 bios this is listed as >>>>(g) MCH V control<<<<

i am running a low cpu overclock due to stock cooling but at 400 x7 i set this at +.100 and its passing memtest with no problems.

if you are on a dq6 check the ink below (bios settings in the large scroll box) .. remember to compensate and calculate if you are running a different cpu ..this is just to give you an idea. monitor your temperatures at all times.;):

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/311-gigabyte-ga-x38-dq6-blog-3.html

hope this helps :)

Great! Thanks for the info and the links.

I tested to raise FSB voltage, NorthBridge voltage (MCH on DQ6 mobo) according to the info in those links but no luck. I even tried with raising the CPU voltage up to 1.5V but still no success to get the memsticks to run at 1066MHz even on low overclock 2.8GHz...

So I have decided to use my older memsticks Corsair DHX 2x2048MB (TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX) with which I can get the CPU to run at 3.2GHz stable for 20+ hours with memory just below 800MHz... :sigh!:

I definately think this is an issue with the Gigabyte GA-PA35-DQ6 and when using 4 of the TWIN2X2048-8500C5D Dominator 2x1024MB(tot. 2048MB) XMS2-8500 memsticks.

I just wish that I had an Asus board here to verify that the memsticks would work fine... :confused:

Hi RamGuy

Thanks for the offer to replace my 4 memsticks! Appreciated! :biggrin:

However, my local supplier here in Sweden has been kind enough to replace them once already. They even replaced my mobo (GA-P35-DQ6 rev 1.0) but I am still experiencing lockups, crashes or bluescreens when running 2 copies of Orthos stressing all 4 cores with memory speed at 1066MHz and 2.4GHz on the Q6600...

After the mobo was replaced I am able to run the memories at 1066MHz and CPU at 2.4GHz in MemTest86+ without any errors for 20+ hours. I was happy now since it seemed to be working finally (after BOTH mobo AND memstick replacements)... :sigh!:

However, as soon as I startup Vista 64bit and run 2 copies of Orthos I get rounding errors from anywhere in 5 minutes to a couple of hours. Coretemp shows temperatures around 60 degrees celsius so it can't be heat issues? :confused:

It would be great if any other user with GA-P35-DQ6 mobo and the 4GB in total (i.e. 4 sticks) of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D Dominator memories and a Q6600 CPU could verify that they get their memories to work in Vista 64bit? :[pouts:

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problems as everyone else. I have tried the ASUS Maximus Formula, now the Gigabyte x38-dq6. I have calls into everyone, gigabyte, microsoft, and now here. I am at my wits end. I bought this twin2x2048-8500C5D sticks and no matter what I do, sometimes they show up as 800mgz, sometimes 1066mgz. I am no dummy, as I am certified dell, compaq, sun hardware, as well as a CCIE, MCP, Solaris 10, CCIP and Wireless. I am going nuts trying to figure this out. The board just cycles, sometimes it boots, other times it will run for 10 hours. Ill come home and it has died.

I have run CPU-z and it shows the RAM as 6400 as others have stated. I have set the timings manually, I am still not familiar with this board to set all facets yet. Voltages and FSB are a challenge, I am teaching myself on the fly about this board. If I leave the AUTO on to configure the RAM it reports it way off. I set it manually I am good for alittle while. Vista 64 seems to hate this RAM. I tried 4 Gigs of patriot LLK (Do not remember the full name). Absolutely no problem. I am partial to Corsair, always have. I have also heard there are 2 makes of this RAM. One that has 2.1V which is the inferior made brand, and the Micro 2.2v RAM. I suspect I have the 2.1v which is what is reported by CPU-Z. I have lost precious time getting this desktop back up, I am in the middle of online finals and my recertification for my CCIE. I am going to chuck this RAM sticks out the window, and not look back very soon.

So I would like to know what is the story here. Not everyone can be having the same problems, nor can others report the 2 different makes of the chips on this RAM. I need to know what to do soon, or I am really going to move away from Corsair and advise other collegues from Chase to do so also.

Archived