Corsair Community

Overclocking DDR 1333 Memory to 1600

aaronmikki

I am a professional network administrator and have been building my own computers since 2002. However, am not a gamer and have never over clocked anything. I just built a new rig based on the on a MSI 890FXA-GD70 mobo and an AMD 1090T processor. The mobo supported 1600, 1800, and 2000 speeds of over clocked DDR3 1333 RAM. I purchased 2 2GB sticks of Corsair Dominator CMP4GX3M2A1600C8 RAM because it was supposed to be able to handle being OCed to 1600 with no problems. My system is running great but it automatically detects the RAM as 1333 MHz with timings of 9-9-9-24 instead of the advertised 1600 with 8-8-8-24. I went into the BIOS and manually set the timings to 8-8-8-24 and it worked fine. I then set the ratio from Auto to 1/4 which showed the speed of the RAM at 1600 MHz. However, when I told it to save the setting and reboot it would not come up at all. The only way to recover my system was to use the jumpers on the mobo to reset the CMOS back to its original settings. From everything I've read it's easy to set the RAM to 1600. Both my mobo and the RAM are advertised by the manufacturer as supporting 1600 DDR3. The memory controller is in the processor so is it an issue with mobo or the processor? I would appreciate any advice anyone has. Specific settings for my mobo would be appreciated. My system is fine the way it is but I paid extra to have certified 1600 MHz RAM and would like to be able to use it at that speed. Thanks in advance.

AMD 1090T Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz (stock cooler)

MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 Mobo

4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24

2x Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 7200 HDDs in Raid 1 Array

2x 640GB WD Caviar Blue HDDs in Raid 0 Array

MSI GeForce GTS 250 512 MB GDDR3

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Modular PSU

CoolerMaster 690 II Advanced Case

LG WH10LS30 Blu-Ray Burner

Koutech Multi-format card reader

ASUS VH242H 23.6” Widescreen LCD Monitor

that ram i believe was designed for an Intel board, not AMD.

im genuinely interested where you got the info that that ram would be compatible with that board/cpu.

i dont see that board anywhere on Corsairs compat charts. it may be too new which is why im curious where you got your info if you dont mind?

here is the list of approved ram for an AMD Phenom II http://www.corsair.com/products/phenomii/default.aspx

the ram you have is for Dual Channel Corsair DDR3 Memory for Intel Core i7 8xx series processors

Archived