Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like everyone here I was having issues running my Corsair DDR4 3200 ( 2x8 Gigs ) at max speed.. Dropping it to 3100 made it work fine.

I am running a Asus Z170-A with Bios 1702.

After changing the following settings I was able to achieve 3200 without issue.

DRAM frequency ratio from 100:100 to 100:133

http://t1.someimage.com/aL8y07y.jpg

MCH Full Check from Auto/Enabled to Disabled

http://t1.someimage.com/FDqTGLp.jpg

After I changed those two I have been stable on 3200. Will edit this post if it I find something new.

i7 6700K

z170 pro gaming

CMK16GX4M4B3200C16R

I just tried bios ver. 0803 and got better results, bios version really makes a difference albeit being an older one. I have yet to see whether the memory is stable for gaming, although booting and running works just fine.

Currently running:

xmp 3200

4500Ghz (100x45)

1.35v Adaptive, LLC 4 (well tested)

So far so good, for some reason all the bios updates are worse for stability. Some don't even get me into windows by only overclocking.

EDIT: All stable without any issues so far, hope this helps others with similar setup.

Edited by Broccolibadger
Update

i7 6700K

z170 pro gaming

CMK16GX4M4B3200C16R

I just tried bios ver. 0803 and got better results, bios version really makes a difference albeit being an older one. I have yet to see whether the memory is stable for gaming, although booting and running works just fine.

Currently running:

xmp 3200

4500Ghz (100x45)

1.35v Adaptive, LLC 4 (well tested)

So far so good, for some reason all the bios updates are worse for stability. Some don't even get me into windows by only overclocking.

EDIT: All stable without any issues so far, hope this helps others with similar setup.

Hey man i have a similiar setup

SO 803 lets you select XMP profile with no issue?

do you sync all cores aswell?

"SO 803 lets you select XMP profile with no issue?

do you sync all cores aswell?"

Well it worked for me, and all cores synced. Still solid =)

Found this thread by googling same problem with this board and 803 seems to have worked for me as well. I'm not actually using Corsair my ram is 2x8gb of G.Skill TridentZ Series 3200 but the issues were identical.

One other change I made was to enable EPU as the Vcore wasn't undervolting at idle otherwise, no idea if that helped it. I seem to get to post with 100% consistency now though.

I still have a few days to rma this board though, I'm seriously considering it because they made a real mess out of this and I've still got to see if it remains stable.

Found this thread by googling same problem with this board and 803 seems to have worked for me as well. I'm not actually using Corsair my ram is 2x8gb of G.Skill TridentZ Series 3200 but the issues were identical.

One other change I made was to enable EPU as the Vcore wasn't undervolting at idle otherwise, no idea if that helped it. I seem to get to post with 100% consistency now though.

I still have a few days to rma this board though, I'm seriously considering it because they made a real mess out of this and I've still got to see if it remains stable.

Your findings appear to be corroborated by the review in this post;

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=839404&postcount=246

Hi, I've just registered to report that BIOS 1206 apparently works well with this:

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Default profile (3200)

I'm already testing with games but I could not reproduce the "overclock has failed" error.

Hi, I've just registered to report that BIOS 1206 apparently works well with this:

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Default profile (3200)

I'm already testing with games but I could not reproduce the "overclock has failed" error.

No not working for me, and no updates since work with xmp :(

Shame no updates as promised from Corsair admins.............

Must not believe in the products

ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Default profile (3200)

Update: today computer didn't boot the first time, black screen.

I reseted it and the dreaded message "overclocking failed" appeared again.

I'm testing at 3100 Mhz.

Is it safe for me to assume that this issue will never be resolved?

I just need confirmation so i can either

A) Return RAM and get Competitor ram that i can confirm works

B) Return MB and get a Board that works with my ram

Depending on who's responsible, those are the outcomes for me at this moment.

I have 2 Friends That have the Same Motherboard as me but have G.skill 3200 DDR4 and both run XMP fine.

I Took my RAM to friends house to test and had the same issues of not being able to enable XMP properly....

Can someone please explain this Sticky..

I paid $280 (aud) for my motherboard that officially supports clocking to 3400mhz

WHERE IS THE RESPONSE FOR THAT? this is silly. The bottom basically says since you've bought a lower end motherboard buy lower frequency RAM, but ASUS AND CORSAIR both advertise DDR4 Speeds working at 3000+ on Z170 boards, not specific types of boards in the Z170 range.

UGGHH so frustrating.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=156580

Can someone please explain this Sticky..

I paid $280 (aud) for my motherboard that officially supports clocking to 3400mhz

WHERE IS THE RESPONSE FOR THAT? this is silly. The bottom basically says since you've bought a lower end motherboard buy lower frequency RAM, but ASUS AND CORSAIR both advertise DDR4 Speeds working at 3000+ on Z170 boards, not specific types of boards in the Z170 range.

UGGHH so frustrating.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=156580

There is a third player.....Intel!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Reference_Code

The MRC is responsible for memory training during the POST. Lousy MRC means lousy memory support. Also, Intel branded motherboards are a thing of the past so getting things right is probably taking more time than usual. Furthermore, cheaper boards may get lower caliber firmware resources assigned to them....Probably explains why the Asus Z170-A board handles memory better with an older BIOS.

Yeah it doesn't work

Thanks, I won't bother wasting anytime trying it then!

Typical really and no updates as was promised........

This may go on a while and the more people that see the negative posts will most likely be put off buying poorly produced hardware.

Hi guys,

Same problem here.

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming.

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Newest BIOS - same problems.

Seriously considering RMA my MOBO.

Do anyone have some experience with other MOBO's with Z170 chipset and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 ??

If yeah - hit me. I am just too tired of constantly fighting with my setup.

And yeah, lessons were learned. Never ever try ASUS or Corsair. Damn.

Hi guys,

Same problem here.

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming.

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Newest BIOS - same problems.

Seriously considering RMA my MOBO.

Do anyone have some experience with other MOBO's with Z170 chipset and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 ??

If yeah - hit me. I am just too tired of constantly fighting with my setup.

And yeah, lessons were learned. Never ever try ASUS or Corsair. Damn.

Hey man ive tested several other RAM modules from G.Skill that have worked fine at 3200 XMP

it seems to be an issue with ASUS z170 boards and Corsair modules

NOT ALL boards and modules but alot of them.....

Since there hasn't been a response for months now, im going to RMA the modules and get G.Skill modules that i know work with my board.

But yeah lesson learned. ill Never buy an ASUS product again. Ive never had issues with AsRock or Gigabyte, everytime i put my trust into ASUS it turns out like this.

Hey, thanks for response!

So you are saying you've already tested G.skill memories at ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming?

If could you tell me, what kind of memories?

2x8gb?

Which model?

I'd like just to start using my pc so, don't want to have new issues with my new RAM :laughing:

Thanks in advance!

So you are saying you've already tested G.skill memories at ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming?

2x8gb?

Which model?

I'd like just to start using my pc so, don't want to have new issues with my new RAM :laughing:

Thanks in advance!

Hey Greg22,

Im using

G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16D-16GVKB 16GB Kit (8Gx2) DDR4 3200 Desktop RAM

Running perfectly at 3200(through XMP)

Im going to RMA my Corsair modules as a 'defect'

2x8gb?

Which model?

Thanks in advance!

Works as well for me with Patriot Viper 3000mhz on Asus z170 pro gaming.

I'm still a little bit conviced that this is a corsair module issue as other users have same issue with different MB (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI), etc..

Or at least a Z170 chipset issue. But not specificaly linked with the "Asus z170 Pro gaming".

We hear a lot about this MB, but i think it's just because it's the most common MB for gamer with little price. Not because she has more issue than other MB.