Corsair Community

What Can I use?

EverclearBoy

I am looking into getting this.. Asus - Asus K8V VIA K8T800 chipset/ AMD Athlon64 support/ AGP8X 5 PCI/SATA-RAID/USB 2.0 Athlon 64 3000+ What sort of Corsair RAM will run on this? I would like to get something in the XMS Series.. no more lower then PC3200 in speed.. ideally PC4000 or more.. I play Battlefield 1942 and it seems that the faster that speed the faster the map loads.. Thanks

From what I have seen, the PC3200XL would be the best for your needs. The AMDs still make good use of the low latency RAM. And, even though the XL is only guaranteed to run at 200mhz at the tight timings, it will run much faster than that in my experience. You won't be able to go all the way to your goal of 250mhz at the super tight timings but, I have heard of some users getting 250mhz on tighter timings than the PC4000 is able to at the same speeds. And, I have seen VERY FEW (if any) AMD based boards that will run 250mhz anyways. I'm thinking you will have the best performance, especially for gaming with the XL RAM. Mike. EDIT: I consulted a knowledgeable AMD user and he reminded me of a very important fact to keep in mind. Since your MOBO is a single channel MOBO, 2 DIMMs place more load on the chipset than 1 DIMM. This is important because this also adds latency to the system. If you use 2 DIMMs as opposed to 1 DIMM, even if you use the low latency RAM, you will likely have to reduce the timings somewhat. All in all, you might actually get the best performance from 1 1024mb DIMM of PC3200 than with any combo of 2 DIMMs due to less chipset load and less latency. However, you won't get anywhere near 250mhz.

• 5 weeks later...
The AMD 64 MOBOs are not dual channel. Only the 939 based boards are true dual channel. And, I have absolutely no idea how far the 939s will OC so you may or may not get full usage of the PC4000. I'd suggest the PC3200XL with the ASUS 939 board if you want dual channel and fast. Mike.

Archived