Corsair Community

PC Randomly Drops Power

dangerousdave55

This system I built in 2015 will be working fine for hours then "click-off" and restart the entire system. Or sometimes it might restart twice within a 15 min period. Sometimes it will be sitting idle for hours and will restart. No indication of a software problem. System has been working without fail for 4 years.

My first thought not knowing much about this kind of problem, is to check the PS and some other connectors which I have using KINGWIN DIGITAL LCD PSU TESTER (see photo). With my limited troubleshooting knowledge, I don't see any irregularities.

Is there any way to monitor the PS without constantly looking at the tester display and wait for a restart which could be hours?

OR might this be a problem other than the PS?

See PC specs on drop down box.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

20200427_113252.thumb.jpg.169d8743c6656d2a983aabf102ddd137.jpg

I was going to say maybe you can use iCue to keep a log of the power output from your PSU, but then I noticed you don't have an nnn-i model PSU so maybe you can't monitor it that way - I'm not sure. CoPro also monitors power too (from memory, I don't have one installed on my work laptop so can't recall) so if you have a CoPro hooked up maybe that might have a hint?

I was going to say maybe you can use iCue to keep a log of the power output from your PSU, but then I noticed you don't have an nnn-i model PSU so maybe you can't monitor it that way - I'm not sure. CoPro also monitors power too (from memory, I don't have one installed on my work laptop so can't recall) so if you have a CoPro hooked up maybe that might have a hint?
My RM650 PS does have a C-link output but I don't have a cable. Might having that and associated software help me to diagnose "possible" PS problems causing my PC to drop power?

Easiest way to diagnose if you are having a power supply issue or not would be to use a PSU tester. They can be purchased from sites like Amazon for around $10 to $15.
Thanks however, in my original post above I mentioned that I already have the KINGWIN DIGITAL LCD PSU TESTER. I don't know a way of long term testing the PS for hours. Only way I know is how the PS is currently performing.

• 2 weeks later...
I took a chance and bought & installed a new Thermaltake Smart 500W PS and my PC is now running 24/7 without failure. So perhaps the RM650 had reached it's failure point which unfortunately was just outside the 5 year warranty. :[pouts:Thanks to all those that provided help here.

• Corsair Employee
I took a chance and bought & installed a new Thermaltake Smart 500W PS and my PC is now running 24/7 without failure. So perhaps the RM650 had reached it's failure point which unfortunately was just outside the 5 year warranty. :[pouts:Thanks to all those that provided help here.

Too bad it's no longer in warranty.

I hope that Smart is just a temporary stop-gap. They're not exactly good PSUs: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/