Corsair Community

Are these temps okay for 24/7 use? 4770K @ 4.5

toddnunez94

Hey everyone. I have been messing around with my 4770k overclock, and I'm trying to keep the voltage below 1.3 with the highest frequency I can get, with temps below 75c for 24/7 use. Currently, the highest I can reach is 4.5, and I'm completely okay with that.

I have a video I uploaded on YouTube of battlefield 4 gameplay (4.5GHz @ 1.280v adaptive), and at the last 15 seconds, it shows what the max temp were. I don't know where (and if) I can embed the YouTube video here, so I will just paste the link here. The max temp I got was 73c according to HWiNFO.

[ame]

[/ame]

Basically, my main question is if these temps (73c) is okay for 24/7 use. Or is it too hot for 24/7 use. I don't mean that I will leave my computer on 24/7, but is it okay for normal gameplay?

I want to mention, that in the video, I did crash several hours after I recorded it. Currently, I upped the voltage to 1.295, so it should be stable. But the 0.015 volts wont be a huge difference in temps. I also recently reseated my H100i with artic silver 5 today, so it hasn't had the "break in" period. It should drop several degrees within a few days (hopefully :D )

temp.PNG.384c0e61585fb1c1ec57cbf636e84298.PNG

Wont drop "several degrees"....maybe a couple ;)

Around 70c for brief periods gaming (BF4 really puts the pressure on the CPU I have found) is no big deal and you should be fine!

Well not several (I exaggerated that) because the artic silver 5 instructions say the "break in" period is about 1c-5c in lower temps. I'm trying to get it below 70 at all times. 65 would be my sweet spot

I don't know that I have ever really saw temps drop after an AS breakin - at least not as much as I would have noticed it. But that was with previous air coolers.

I used just the included paste that came with my H100i, and it is doing very well for me. I do not get even into the 70's whilst gaming, more like the 50's for me. Mid to upper 60's when stress testing.

I mounted my H100i in the top of my case, with the two included fans mounted on top of the rad, blowing air down through the rad into the case.

I am running a 4820K overclocked to 4.50 ghz, granted thought at a little lower voltage than yours.

I do think though, your temps are safe.

I don't know that I have ever really saw temps drop after an AS breakin - at least not as much as I would have noticed it. But that was with previous air coolers.

I used just the included paste that came with my H100i, and it is doing very well for me. I do not get even into the 70's whilst gaming, more like the 50's for me. Mid to upper 60's when stress testing.

I mounted my H100i in the top of my case, with the two included fans mounted on top of the rad, blowing air down through the rad into the case.

I am running a 4820K overclocked to 4.50 ghz, granted thought at a little lower voltage than yours.

I do think though, your temps are safe.

I'm hopping the temps drop... Fingered crossed*. But I want to leave my radiator in exhaust. Hot air raises, and I find it pointless to bring fresh air in through the top. It would be different if it was mounted on the front as intake. This is a replacement unit I recieved 3 days ago, and I was in such a hurry to install it. I accidently mounted the backplate upside down, and I had to remount because of it. That wastes my stock paste. But I was planning to install AS5 anyways.

Thanks

I'm hopping the temps drop... Fingered crossed*. But I want to leave my radiator in exhaust. Hot air raises, and I find it pointless to bring fresh air in through the top. It would be different if it was mounted on the front as intake. This is a replacement unit I recieved 3 days ago, and I was in such a hurry to install it. I accidently mounted the backplate upside down, and I had to remount because of it. That wastes my stock paste. But I was planning to install AS5 anyways.

Thanks

True but also consider - the air that is your case is already going to be somewhat warm, so your pulling that warm air up and through your rad - by pushing fresh air down through the rad from outside the case, the air going through the rad is cooler.

I don't know, may or may not be the difference here - but again I think your temps are certainly ok, but I would keep an eye on them as time goes along.

I just played a game of battlefield 4, and the highest it hit was 67c. It looks like it's dropping. Honestly, the reason I believe it was showing 73c, was because of the game starting up. It seems that they jump high when launching the game, then settle down when playing (does that make sense? Lol).

But also remember that I'm running 4.5 close to 1.3 volts.

I should also mention that I drop to 26c idle, but mainly stays at 29-33c

True but also consider - the air that is your case is already going to be somewhat warm, so your pulling that warm air up and through your rad - by pushing fresh air down through the rad from outside the case, the air going through the rad is cooler.

I don't know, may or may not be the difference here - but again I think your temps are certainly ok, but I would keep an eye on them as time goes along.

^^^ I agree....set up a crap load of "Intakes" on your case.....this will ensure "positive pressure" and guarenteed, your Case will expel that warm air fine through a combination of a single exhaust fan ...preferably top / back 140mm and all the vents (Cases are not air tight)....

..Drawing cool air in through your Rad is how I've concluded works best ;)

Archived