Corsair Community

Defective F120- RMA worth the hassle?

hybrid2d4x4

I've got a Force F120 2.0 that is almost never detected on cold boot and isn't able to wake up from sleep. I have 2 more days before my RMA window closes (bought a refurb unit w/ 30 day warranty)- should I even bother?

Or is this whole product line defective in this regard (where it only gets along with certain hardware and if yours isn't on that lucky list, you're SOL and another of the same model won't be better)?

If I had the option, I'd just return it but now I feel like either I can pour more time and money into this thing (RMA) and hope for the best or bitterly accept that I've spent $150 on a paperweight.

Browsing these forums, it seems like this is a fairly common issue, but nobody seems to officially acknowledge it. Advice?

I'd start the RMA process. This is what they asked me to check on my F-120:

1. Update BIOS, if possible.

2. SATA settings in BIOS, AHCI, Enable Hot-Plug.

3. Check cable contacts, if possible. The latches may be able to secure the plastic connector in some way better so that the gold fingers could have full contact.

4. Get a high quality cable, if possible, such as, Molex, or 3M. Also in bios disable quick boot.

5. Use Parted Magic to secure erase the drive, then install windows.

These are all arguably reasonable things to check for a failed drive, and they only take a few minutes. I couldn't do #5. I reported my results to Corsair tech support and they followed up with an RMA #.

It seems like a common issue in the forums because people come here to report these problems. I think it is worth the few minutes and few dollars to box it up for the RMA.

Archived