Corsair Community

Connect H75/H80i v2 3-pin Water Pumps via Molex?

rafamundez

What do you guys think of connecting the 3-pin water pump connections for the h75 and/h80i v2 to a molex fan cable (goes to PSU)?

I only have 2 fan headers available on my mobo so I'm trying to use them for the radiators of the h75 (cpu cooler) and the h80i v2 (gpu cooler via the hg10 n980).

3 pin = no voltage modulation needed so I figure that connecting them via molex would be fine?

Thoughts?

TL;DR can I connect my 3-pin water pump connections via molex? What are the possible problems?

Thanks in advance!!

Connecting the H80iV2 directly to the PSU will be fine. The only downside is that you will only be able to monitor the fan/pump speed via CL4 or other software that can read it via the USB connection. This is how I have my H80iGT connected.

For the H75 doing this will also be fine, but there will be no way to monitor the speed.

Please can you tell be the firmware version your H80iV2 has? I would like to include it in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156661.

Connecting the H80iV2 directly to the PSU will be fine. The only downside is that you will only be able to monitor the fan/pump speed via CL4 or other software that can read it via the USB connection. This is how I have my H80iGT connected.

For the H75 doing this will also be fine, but there will be no way to monitor the speed.

Thanks for the quick response! That is good to know that I can connect them both via molex without damaging them. Do I want to connect them via 5V, 7V, or 12V molex? Which one did you do?

I guess the other follow-up question I have is regarding monitoring the pump speed. I'm a little confused as to how since it is a 3-pin connection therefore no PWM and always running at full speed? I'm planning on connecting the 4-pin CPU radiator fans to the CPU header to control/monitor the fans but I didn't know that the pump speed could be controlled/monitored since they are 3 pin connections (except with CL).

Please can you tell me the firmware version your H80iV2 has please? I would like to include it in http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156661.

I actually don't have my H80iV2 yet, it is on it's way in the mail (next few days or so). I'll definitely post the firmware once I get though! I currently only have the H75 right now

Thank you so much again!

1. Do I want to connect them via 5V, 7V, or 12V molex? Which one did you do?
  2. I'm a little confused as to how since it is a 3-pin connection therefore no PWM and always running at full speed?
  3. I didn't know that the pump speed could be controlled/monitored since they are 3 pin connections (except with CL).

1. You should use +12 V.
  2. I like to monitor the pump speed so I can be sure it's running at the correct speed.
  3. All of AIDA64, HWiNFO and SIV can report the cooler temperature and pump speed via USB provided CL is not running. I developed and use SIV which can also control the H80iV2 pump speed.

Archived