Corsair Community

Corsair Link Advice

Safado

Hello there, this is my very first post on this forum:D:

I've got a 860i PSU and a H100i liquid cpu cooling.

I've only got 1 spare usb header atm, however i was told that i can use the cable from the psu directly to the corsair module. :D:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=h100i&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Auc_UbuBDNGGqwHx74GgBQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=965#imgrc=j6eWDNKfrY5nuM%3A%3BhpuSHQ2wX5lHrM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.corsair.com%252Fus%252Fmedia%252Fcatalog%252Fproduct%252Fcache%252F26%252Fimage%252F9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95%252Fh%252F1%252Fh100i_fan_connect.png%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fforums.bit-tech.net%252Fshowthread.php%253Ft%253D248603%3B800%3B478

Now, my question is to know if i should buy this item:

Corsair Link Cooling Kit: Should i get this kit at all???

What are the benefits in regards of getting this fan controller?

Finally, not interested in getting lightning for the time being.

Thank you for your help!

I have two of them (and three lighting nodes). They have five fan headers for controlling your fans through different built in profiles. They also come with three temperature sensors each.

You should be aware than they may or may not work with your fans. The latest firmware is better than the firmware than my units shipped with, but its not perfect. I couldn't use my cooler master fans at all. They actually stopped working altogether. My Enermax fans would work for a few weeks at a time. The corsair fans that I bought make a faint click/tick sound at lower RPM.

The newest firmware has resolved the issue with the Enermax (vegas trio) fans and they work fine now. The corsair fans still tick, but I just run them at "max". They are pretty quiet fans anyway. The temp sensors work, but the cables are short. (Or maybe my case is too big.) I ended up using two cooling nodes so I could put one centrally located on each side of the case. I also have a Cougar that didn't work on the old firmware. It stopped running and I got it going again directly on Molex, so I didn't move it back.

Overall, I am satisfied with the cooling node. There were growing pains however. It would have been nice to know about the fan support before I bought them. I'm not sure what I would have done differently, but it would have been nice to know.

Since I only have partial confidence in the commander, I have my rear (140mm) and front (230mm replacement for the dead cooler master) intake on molex. They are quiet and if the commander goes out, I will be ok. My confidence is increasing since the latest firmware update and I may risk putting more fans on the commander in the future. Right now, I just run the axillary fans. It works out ok because when I game, they run up faster and cool the system. When I am away, I have the comfort of knowing that I have enough on molex to meet minimum cooling needs.

Glad that you could sort things out!

Do you reckon i should upgrade thr firmware once i get the cooling kit running?:roll:

Also, im having some issues of how to setup configuration...:confused:

So far, i believe it goes like this:

Link commander: Goes straight to the Usb header 2.0

860i: the cable goes connected to the psu the other one goes directly to the link commander.

H100i: The cable goes connected from the h100i expansion port (next to the usb one) and goes all the way to the commander Unit.

Fan extension cables goess connected from the cpu block to the radiator itself, so the fans can run.

Cooling Node: One end goes connected from the commander unit to the cooling node, then you plug the extension fan headers and the other end goes connected to the fan cables itself.

Sensor temp: You plug them into the cooling node.

Is this configuration correct?

Thanks a lot:laughing:

Glad that you could sort things out!

Do you reckon i should upgrade thr firmware once i get the cooling kit running?:roll:

Also, im having some issues of how to setup configuration...:confused:

So far, i believe it goes like this:

Link commander: Goes straight to the Usb header 2.0

Correct

860i: the cable goes connected to the psu the other one goes directly to the link commander.

Correct, or directly to a USB header using the included dongle.

H100i: The cable goes connected from the h100i expansion port (next to the usb one) and goes all the way to the commander Unit.

Fan extension cables goess connected from the cpu block to the radiator itself, so the fans can run.

The system link cable can go to a link port on the commander. I couldn't get it to work. I think it is a known bug in the current version of the software, so I went directly to a USB header using the dongle. There are two fan headers on the pump (1/2, and 3/4). Use the fan extension Y cable(s) to connect the fans. You should only need one for the included fans. There is a single cable on the power cable than needs to plug into the CPU fan header on the motherboard.

Cooling Node: One end goes connected from the commander unit to the cooling node, then you plug the extension fan headers and the other end goes connected to the fan cables itself.

Correct

Sensor temp: You plug them into the cooling node.

Correct

Is this configuration correct?

Thanks a lot:laughing:

Hello there, thanks for the clarification of how to set up all that!

In regards of the H100i: Are you saying that if i connect the system link cable from the cpu block to the Link commander It will not work?? And that i have to use another Usb 2.0 header??

That's not good mate, I dont have an extra Usb 2.0 port :confused:

Maybe if i upgrade the firmware from the h100i and use the lastest corsair link sotfware, might work??

Hello there, thanks for the clarification of how to set up all that!

In regards of the H100i: Are you saying that if i connect the system link cable from the cpu block to the Link commander It will not work?? And that i have to use another Usb 2.0 header??

That's not good mate, I dont have an extra Usb 2.0 port :confused:

Maybe if i upgrade the firmware from the h100i and use the lastest corsair link sotfware, might work??

Glad to help. I am not an expert on it, so your results may vary.

I think that the shipping firmware (1.05) has a bug that causes the system link from the h100i to the commander not to work. I didn't troubleshoot it very much because I had an extra header. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

What I can tell you is that I only had two USB 2.0 headers on my motherboard and bought an internal expansion unit that I have been very happy with. It allowed me to hook up all of the corsair products (h100i, ax1200i, link system) and still have a spare header. :sunglasse

Internal expansion unit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031ESKJA/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Archived