Corsair Community

LL140 at 5 volts?

jondolar88

Hello,

so I recently ordered some LL140 fans and I really liked the way they look but I sent them back because I could hear the ones that I put on my radiator (I know that they may not be the best choice for radiators anyway, but the looks...)

All my other case fans and fans on my radiator are running with 400-500 rpm and I cannot tell if my system is running or not regarding it's noise level.

So I just want to ask:

I know that the LL fans are made for 7-12 volts but has anyone ever tried to use an adapter so that they would run somewhat slower at 5volts only?

Thank you!

Hello,

so I recently ordered some LL140 fans and I really liked the way they look but I sent them back because I could hear the ones that I put on my radiator (I know that they may not be the best choice for radiators anyway, but the looks...)

All my other case fans and fans on my radiator are running with 400-500 rpm and I cannot tell if my system is running or not regarding it's noise level.

So I just want to ask:

I know that the LL fans are made for 7-12 volts but has anyone ever tried to use an adapter so that they would run somewhat slower at 5volts only?

Thank you!

According to Corsair website, the fans can run at this range 600 - 1500 RPM

source: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/ml-config/p/CO-9050071-WW

The LL-120 are PWM, while they can be controlled via voltage, you should really go with PWM. PWM will allow you to reach the lower RPM and sound levels and it is more efficient to run a fan in PWM. There is some loss of efficiency when you lower the voltage from 12v. PWM switches between 12v and 0v really fast. It pulses the 12v at different widths to change the speed.

I did go with PWM, but according to my MB they are always runnning at 650-680 rpm.

I just thought going down with the voltage could force them to be running at about 400-500 rpm, but I simply don't know if it is enough power to even get them started...

You might have better luck running the QFan tuning program from within the Advanced BIOS->Monitor Tab. Typically that will cut the bottom down a little bit further and is less likely to be damaging over the long term than running in DC mode.

Archived