Corsair Community

H115i too high temps!

momorious

Hi!

I am new to water cooling and I have a big problem with my H115 which I got on Monday.

Even on a single Firestrike test my 6700K @ 4,6 GHz @ 1,312v is reching 87°c!!! With my old Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 I never got above 68°C on a Firestrike test.

I checked everything, the pump is attached tight to the cpu, nothing moves (had to place space washers on the backplate though).

In Corsair Link I already set the pump to max (2850rpm) and my Fans (Cougar CFD140) also to max. 1080 rpm.

Anything else I can do???

Thanks!

Hey,

imho there's no need to place washers on the backplate.

I didn't - as soon as you screw the pump on the CPU everything sits tight.

In your case I'd try to remount and repaste the cooler.

(I mounted my backplate in a wrong manner first on my system. My backplate was 90° wrong. So I remounted and repasted and temps dropped)

Dont have thermal paste here so cant repaste, would take too long to arrive..

And I needed to use place washers because mounting only the backplate and attache the distance screws the whole backplate wobbled a lot so I placed place washers and everything sits tight now.. Read somewhere on the forums that this is mostly normal ..

Took me also half a week to get thermal paste back then, I know the situation.

Yes, it was wobbly (I was also wondering about that) - it had about 3 mm space if I remember correct - but no problem after screwing the pump on, everything sits in the right place now.

As for checking the AIO, have a look at the water temperature it should slowly climb under cpu load. At least if pump and fans are running and water temps are slowly climbing the AIO itself should be ok ;)

Is the CPU temperature jumping right up into the 80's?

If it is a mounting problem you need thermal paste anyway.

You could try to switch off HT in bios and revert to stock clock and lower core voltage to get the temps down a little for now until you can get a thermal paste.

Before we start taking things apart, let's try to look at a little more data to narrow down the issue. Open Corsair Link.

What is the H115i Temp at idle (bottom of table)? This is water temperature inside the cooler.

What is your approximate room temperature?

Run some sort of load for 5-10 min. Doesn't have to be Firestrike, but that is fine as well. What is the H115i Temp after that time? If the H115i Temp increases rapidly or exceeds 50C stop the test and report back.

Thanks for your answers.

Just ran 5 minutes of CPU-Z Bench Stresstest and the CPU reached temp of 85°C and the pump startet at 27,3°C and reached 28°C at the end of the test. And it immediately jumped to over 80°C. Even when I just open my browser the temp goes to 75°C..

BTW: my pc is freezing actually sometimes, even when I type this text. Hope the CPU isnt damaged already.

OK, the pump is working properly and you don't have a flow problem of any type. If you did, the water temperature would have risen rapidly and stayed at an elevated value. That leaves probably one of two things:

1) The pump block is not making good contact with the CPU. If this true, you will have elevated or unusually jumpy CPU temperatures all the time and with every application. It should be evident even with just the browser open.

2) This is a BIOS setting issue. I can see your voltage and frequency from the first post. I am going to assume the 1.31v is an adaptive voltage. Most of the newer CPUs, Skylake in particular, can be very greedy on synthetic tests. What do you use to monitor system temps? During Firestrike or any other synthetic test, compare the VID voltage reading to the value you set in the BIOS for Vcore. It may be utilizing a larger draw on the heavy tests. During normal use, including gaming, this will not be evident and the voltage will stay closer to the set value.

Freezing? Are you getting negative temperature values reported? Those are not real and likely a software conflict of some kind, which we can take a look at.

I am assuming you control the Cougar CFD140 fans from your motherboard. That's fine, but you don't need to run Link for control. Exit the program for now to minimize any other polling errors.

Mhm yeah can be a poor contact from pump to cpu.. With just the browser open the temps are changing from 29 to maximum 76°C, measured with Afterburner..

I have set 1.325v manual in the BIOS and the real voltage goes from 1.312v down to 1.296v so should be fine and I never had any issued with that voltage setting with my Dark Rock Pro 3.

The 2 Cougar fans are running with maxium speed (1080rpm) on the radiator and should have enough airflow and pressure - dont want to use this 2000rpm Corsair fans..

And with freezing I mean my pc is lagging now sometimes, words needs 15 seconds to be written, I actually cant close browser for 15 seconds etc.. Like the CPU is stressed out totally but in those situations the temp of the CPU seems to be ok..

Think I will buy the Kryonaut again and see if the temps are getting better then after repasting the pump, maybe I will also remove the space washers when you say it is normal that the backplate has a 3 mm space between motherboard and the plate itself and is tightening up when the pump is attached..

OK, it does sound very much like a contact problem. Unfortunately, those can be frustrating to deal with. Most people do not need washers and they may exacerbate the problem. Some boards apparently do. I don't know what model you have, but add the specifications to your profile and someone may be able to add some first hand experience.

Oh, very long lag. I am afraid I don't have any insight into that at the moment. I would resolve the contact issue first and hope that is the cause.

You don't have to use the included SP140L fans. However, the Cougar's you are using are 3 pin DC, so if you power them from the H115i, you won't have any control and they will run at maximum all the time. If you haven't already, move them to the CPU fan header, although I suppose your board and control options are motherboard specific.

Board is a Z170-Deluxe from Asus.. I connected the 1pin CPU header from the pump to the CPU_FAN header on the Board (because I read that connecting it to the dedicated W_PUMP header could cause issues.

I connected both Cougar Fans to the 4pin headers of the pump And I want to run them @ max. speed all the time because for me 1000rpm is not noisy at all...

Connecting it to the water pump header will cause a boot error if you have nothing on CPU fan. Your current configuration is functional and you won't damage anything, but it doesn't have to be that way. If you decide later on you want to be able to drop the fan speed at the desktop level, move the two radiator fans to CPU & OPT. You can stick the pump lead on the water pump header or any other CHA header.

Looking at http://cougargaming.com/products/fans/ I can see the fans are 3-pin voltage controlled. You should be using 4-pin PWM such as the VORTEX PWM 140.

Because you are using the incorrect fans then they will always run at full speed when connected to the H115i. Use PWM fans!

You should also add your PC specs to your profile.

well, I WANT to use them at full speed because 1000rpm is not noisy for me ;-) I knew that before I decided to buy the Cougar fans so 3 pin is totally ok for me here ;-)

Hi!

I am new to water cooling and I have a big problem with my H115 which I got on Monday.

Even on a single Firestrike test my 6700K @ 4,6 GHz @ 1,312v is reching 87°c!!! With my old Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 I never got above 68°C on a Firestrike test.

I checked everything, the pump is attached tight to the cpu, nothing moves (had to place space washers on the backplate though).

In Corsair Link I already set the pump to max (2850rpm) and my Fans (Cougar CFD140) also to max. 1080 rpm.

Anything else I can do???

Thanks!

Don't use spacers. The kit comes with everything you need to install the cooler. When you screw in the standoffs, the backplate WILL WIGGLE. It is normal. I really wish Corsair would put a big sticker on the cooler stating this (like they do with their power supplies and the fans).

It seems problem is SOLVED!!!

I actually found my Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste so I took everything apart again and repasted the CPU with my Kryonaut paste and also removed the spacers - you are right, after attaching the pump and tightening there is no movement at all..

This has to be written in the manual more clearer, they write "tighten all four screws until FIRMLY SECURE" Well, when the whole backplate is moving I for myself do not say it is firmly secured..

Anyway, temps are now fine - after this 5 mins CPU-Z stresstest I got 68 instead of 85°C! Could be the spacers but could also be a not so good thermal paste on the pump?

It seems problem is SOLVED!!!

I actually found my Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste so I took everything apart again and repasted the CPU with my Kryonaut paste and also removed the spacers - you are right, after attaching the pump and tightening there is no movement at all..

This has to be written in the manual more clearer, they write "tighten all four screws until FIRMLY SECURE" Well, when the whole backplate is moving I for myself do not say it is firmly secured..

Anyway, temps are now fine - after this 5 mins CPU-Z stresstest I got 68 instead of 85°C! Could be the spacers but could also be a not so good thermal paste on the pump?

It was the spacers. The thermal paste that comes on these pumps is actually pretty darn good. The paste I use (Noctua NT-H1) performs exactly the same, to the degree, as what came on it.

I still get the pc freezes every now and then.

What could be the problem? CPU? pump? Or GPU as I noticed that the gpu core clock goes to 734 MHz when the freeze happens and afterburner says the power is 0% and the fans are also on 0% (but they are actually on).

Revert back to stock speeds. If the computer does not freeze during normal use, you will need to reconfigure your overclock.

Not exactly sure about CPUZ having a stress test but try something else like x264, OCCT, etc and run it for at least a few hours.

problem found.. it is Afterburner or Precision X just running without having an oc setting activatet..

btw what is a normal temperature for the pump? I just ran 30 minutes in game, CPU was loaded max 75% and the pump now has a temp of 37,5°C.. It's 27°C outside, dont know my room temperature but is that a "ok" temp for the pump?

No exact range. It is CPU, cooler model, and environment dependent. The moment you hot hit the power button, your water temp will no longer be the same as the ambient. Usually you can keep it a few degrees over the room temp at idle. Water temperatures maybe 5-10C over that at load. GPU waste heat can have an effect on internal temperatures and thus the base water temp too. If you are running a 970, very little. If you run 980 Ti x 2, quite a bit. I think your water temp looks perfectly normal for the situation.

Archived