Corsair Community

Need opinion about 8GB DIMMS compatability

nsmith52

I have a Asus P8P67 deluxe motherboard and am considering CMZ8GX3M1A1600C9 8GB DIMMS. The memory configuration program on the website does not include the 8GB sticks. Does anybody know if these are compatible?

As a secondary question, most of what I have read on this forum suggests not mixing kits because you cannot be sure they will work together, have the same revisions etc. Thus, it would appear that if I want either 16GB or 32GB, I might have to consider getting a kit of this size. Is this the case, or could I safely buy 4 of the CMZ8GX3M1A1600C9.

The reason to ask, is that most of the 32 GB kits are 10s not 9s and their timing is 10-10-10-27 rather than 9-9-9-24. Is this a big enough difference to matter?

Yes, you would be able to use 8 gig DIMMS in your board. They should work just fine.

As a secondary question, most of what I have read on this forum suggests not mixing kits because you cannot be sure they will work together, have the same revisions etc. Thus, it would appear that if I want either 16GB or 32GB, I might have to consider getting a kit of this size. Is this the case, or could I safely buy 4 of the CMZ8GX3M1A1600C9.

Yes that would be the case. 4 individual sticks would still be considered mixing memory and there is just no way of telling if all four of them would play nice with each other. It really would be in your best interest to just get a single kit of the capacity you want to avoid any compatibility issues between the single sticks....which does happen quite a lot. Corsair can not guarantee correct operation or rated speeds when you use 4 individual sticks. In most cases you would have to run them at the next lowest speed grade to get them to run together if at all. (DDR1333mhz instead of DDR1600mhz)with basically 4 unmatched sticks all bets are off.

The reason to ask, is that most of the 32 GB kits are 10s not 9s and their timing is 10-10-10-27 rather than 9-9-9-24. Is this a big enough difference to matter?

Not really. The C9 kit may be slightly faster than the c10 kits at the same frequency but nothing you would notice in real world usage without running a memory benchmark to compare the numbers.

Thank you. As to why I am considering this: (and if I need to post this elsewhere, let me know). I have a kit of 4 x 4GB corsair memory, and 1 of the sticks is bad. Am I going to have to return all 4 of the kit and then wait the several days to a week or more to get the new kit? That would mean I was without the computer that whole time, since it is all the RAM.

Am I going to have to return all 4 of the kit and then wait the several days to a week or more to get the new kit? That would mean I was without the computer that whole time, since it is all the RAM.

Yes, you would need to send in all four modules so you recieve a matched set in return. However you can request an advanced replacement so that you have no down time and continue to use the three good ones until the new set arrives.

Corsair has implemented a new RMA system in the last couple of months and you should be able to request an advanced replacement that way , but if you are in a real hurry for them once you receive your RMA number by email confirmation you could call CS by phone and have them set up your advanced RMA for you. That would be the fastest way to get this taken care of.

If you happen to be overseas or outside of the US , you can use SKYPE to make the call to the toll free number for nothing.

Archived