Corsair Community

Using Two Memory Kits

bnj2

Unfortunately, if you put in two kits, you may have to run the memory at only 1333MHz speed. This is due to the increased loading in the memory controller - and 2133MHz kits are supported for only one module per channel (meaning with the LGA 1155 CPUs, only two modules total since most of Corsair's 2GB and larger DDR3 modules are double-ranked).

In addition, your particular kit requires 1.65V just to run at its advertised speed and timings. Unfortunately, the LGA 1155 CPUs have issues with any RAM that's rated at higher than 1.6V.

Oh-kay... Thanks for opening my eyes.

Than maybe I should go for one of the Vengeance Kits that Corsair recommends, but which one?

CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 or CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8? Lower latency vs higher clock speed, which one should perform better?

Thanks again.

• 5 months later...

Before I start a new thread I thought I should try my luck here as the question is more or less the same as mine. However, I already have 2 kits of Dominator GT (CMT4GX3M2A2133C9) which means 4 sticks 2GB each. I also have the same mobo (Maximus IV Extreme).

Unfortunately, I didn't do the research before I got the RAM so now I'm stuck with it. 8GB (4 sticks) running at 1333 is just fine. Also 2 sticks running at a 2133 (throught the X.M.P setup) runs well with not problems. However, 4 sticks running at 2133, well, in short, no!

I read a couple of posts here and there and the problem seems to be as described in this thread. I was just wondering whether anyone is using the same combination of Mobo and RAM and has maybe found a working voltage/timings/etc to get these things running at 2133 speeds.

I had a friend more familiar with overclocking suggest that I should increase the "voltage on the Northbridge" as that might fix my problem. I read the theory on overclocking and have done it successfully a few times but I'd rather someone gives me feedback before I start changing numbers. I'm not a serious overclocker, I'm just starting out and this is my first setup that actually allows it.

What if I manage to sell the 2 kits I have now and get one kit of 2x4GB 2133 sticks (if they exist)? Would that make the issue go away? Let me know what you think. A working set of settings to get things done would be awesome as well :) Thanks a lot in advance!

haha, I love your sig, and judging by it, my problem is more serious than I thought. I had no clue that a kit should remain a kit and nothing more (at least it's preferred that way). Probably because my last rig had 4 sticks of DDR(1) ram that weren't really putting any pressure on the memory controller.

I also read the two documents you have linked over there and man do I feel stupid right now... The only thing giving me hope now is the small chance that someone, somewhere has a working manual setup that does the job, so fingers crossed.

Anyway, judging by what I've read so far (correct me if I'm wrong) the largest problem here is that I need 1.65V for 2133 and 1.5V for 1333Mhz? So when I put in 4 sticks set up to draw 1.65V the memory controller can't take it? While 4 sticks using 1.5V is okay and runs fine?

By that logic this kit should solve my problems? http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory-upgrades/dual-channel-intel-memory-upgrade-kits/dominator-gt-1-5v-8gb-ddr3-memory-kit-with-dhx-pro-connector-and-airflow-2-fan-cmt8gx3m2a2133c9.html

Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Anyway, judging by what I've read so far (correct me if I'm wrong) the largest problem here is that I need 1.65V for 2133 and 1.5V for 1333Mhz? So when I put in 4 sticks set up to draw 1.65V the memory controller can't take it? While 4 sticks using 1.5V is okay and runs fine?

The 1.65v is just the BUSS voltage. That is just the voltage required to run the memory. Yes 1.65v for anything above 1333mhz. And 1.5v for 1333mhz. The memory controller voltage is QPI/VTT voltage. I think in your case it is VCCIO. with the new EUFI. The two voltages run two independent components.

Anyway i think it's just the fact that your memory controller just cant handle 21333mhz. Thats a huge memory overclock and that in itself is hard on the memory controller. I would try lowering the frequency to 1866 with the same 1.65v and the timings on the stick. Retest and see if it is anymore stable. If it is stable you can try to work your way back up and see where it tops out. It may be 1866, it could be 2000mhz. It all depends...

By that logic this kit should solve my problems? http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-...m2a2133c9.html

Actually you wouldd be in the same boat as far as voltages go. You would still need 1.65 and more to the memory controller to go above 1333mhz.

I would also suggest aANYTHING in the vengeance line for the Sandybridge CPU's. They were designed and tested on that platform and run at 1.5 But that still does not guarantee 2133mhz.

@peanutz94: I was thinking about the 2x4GB kit as I have no problem running 1 of my current kits (2x2GB) at 2133Mhz and 1.65V. So I figured the density of the kit shouldn't really play any roles here and 2x4GB should run just as well...

@Synthohol: My configuration handles 2000Mhz sticks as 1833Mhz so I'd rather go with that.

Interesting thing though, I keep reading that anything over 1333 needs more than 1.5V. How come the vengeance ones run at 1833 using 1.5V? That's not a general rule then?

And also, there's one more reason I'm hooked on the Dominator: the AirFlow Pro. I just love that thing. My case has never looked cooler before those little flashing LEDs came along :D

Interesting thing though, I keep reading that anything over 1333 needs more than 1.5V. How come the vengeance ones run at 1833 using 1.5V? That's not a general rule then?

They are the ONLY exception to that rule. They were designed to run faster at lower voltages because of the intel voltage spec for the Sandy's

• 3 weeks later...

Archived